Connect with us

News

How Bandits Negotiator Spent Ransom Share On Luxury Cars, Trips – DSS

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja was on Wednesday told that alleged ransom negotiator, Tukur Mamu, purchased vehicles and funded overseas trips for himself and relatives after purportedly earning proceeds from illegal negotiations with bandits.

Testifying behind a protective screen, the sixth prosecution witness, simply identified in court records as PW-6, said the defendant began living “far above his means” during the negotiations linked to the 2022 Abuja–Kaduna train attack.

“During the course of the negotiations, the defendant’s lifestyle suddenly changed and he was living way above his means,” the witness stated in open court under examination-in-chief conducted by counsel to the Department of State Services (DSS), David Kaswe.

Under cross-examination by the lead defence lawyer, Johnson Usman (SAN), PW-6 said Mamu was arrested in Egypt while travelling with four family members he personally sponsored. He also confirmed that the defendant acquired two cars within the ransom-talk window.

When asked by Usman to specify the lifestyle changes observed, the witness replied, “The defendant was arrested in company of four of his family members whom he sponsored on a trip. The defendant also bought two cars during the period of the negotiations.”

But the defence countered that the witness had no knowledge of Mamu’s pre-attack earnings or net worth.

“Confirm to My Lord that before 28 March 2022, you have never had a personal encounter with the defendant,” Usman queried.

The witness responded, “Yes, My Lord.”

Usman further pressed, “Since you did not have personal encounter with the defendant, you did not know his net worth.”

See also  Atiku denies giving SUV to naval officer in face-off with Wike

PW-6 agreed: “That’s correct.”

The defence counsel further argued that Mamu had three cars: a Toyota Venza, a Mercedes Benz E350, and a Hyundai salon car. Of the three, he said the defendant owned two before the train attack.

The defence counsel also argued that Mamu had been travelling abroad with family members for Hajj, Umrah and others before the train attack incident in 2022.

The defence noted that Mamu had travelled abroad with relatives for Hajj and Umrah well before the train attack year.

However, PW-6 also told the court that the Federal Government never assigned Mamu to negotiate with terrorists or ransom takers over the attack.

Reading directly from DSS findings, the witness stated: “He acted on his own for his benefit… He benefitted from ransom paid by families of the victims… He collected ransom on behalf of the terrorists, confirmed the amount and facilitated delivery illegally. He was in possession of illegal firearms. He provided information to terrorists on how to create a website. The cash recovered from his Kaduna residence was above the legal threshold. During negotiations, his lifestyle suddenly changed and he was living way above his means.”

Prosecutors said Mamu inserted himself into negotiations between victims’ families and the attackers for personal gain.

Middle-week testimony further revealed that Mamu was reportedly offered N50 Million reward by the leader of the terrorist faction.

PW-6 said an audio recording, extracted from the defendant’s devices, a Samsung tablet and two mobile phones seized by Egyptian authorities, captured conversations involving the terrorist kingpin known as “Shugaba.”

See also  Commissioner reveals why Kano deputy governor should resign

In the audio clip played in court, the man said to be Shugaba allegedly praised Mamu and ordered him to “remove N50m” from a delivered ransom for himself.

When pressured on whether travel details were verified, PW-6 admitted he did not examine Mamu’s passport, even as he insisted he was a diligent investigator.

He said opening the passport was unnecessary because he relied on a preliminary report, though he acknowledged that Mamu’s passport was in DSS custody.

Responding to another defence argument, Usman said victims proposed multiple names to liaise with the kidnappers, an assertion conceded by the witness.

The court heard that while names were indeed introduced by victims, only Mamu accepted to lead talks, even though he was not part of the Chief of Defence Staff Committee earlier set up to secure hostage release.

Usman argued that only one abducted passenger had been released before Mamu got involved, contradicting claims that he was central to early recoveries.

The witness maintained that Mamu’s role was neither authorised nor formal, stressing again that he was not part of any licensed government negotiation track.

Justice Mohammed Garba Umar adjourned further cross-examination of the anti-terror probe witness to January 29, 2026.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Gombe’s 180-day justice deadline sparks debate over endless pre-trial detentions

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  You can’t lie about your country and then we keep quiet - Dabiri-Erewa slams Kemi Badenoch over claim on Nigerian citizenship

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  You can’t lie about your country and then we keep quiet - Dabiri-Erewa slams Kemi Badenoch over claim on Nigerian citizenship
Continue Reading

Trending