Connect with us

Crime

Bandits kidnap 490 in two-week rampage

Published

on

Nigeria’s worsening security crisis deepened at the weekend as bandits launched coordinated attacks across the North, abducting monarchs, worshippers, a bride, students and travellers in a 13-day wave of violence that has claimed at least 490 captives.

The Senate warned that Nigeria must urgently strengthen community-based policing structures, as security agencies struggle to contain the expanding assaults despite President Bola Tinubu’s nationwide security emergency and ongoing military operations.

From Sokoto to Kogi, Kwara, Niger, Borno and the Federal Capital Territory, renewed raids have left rural communities traumatised, with residents fleeing their homes and several victims still unaccounted for.

In Abuja, seven mourners — six girls and a 16-year-old boy — were kidnapped on November 28 at Gidan Bijimi in the Bwari Area Council.

That same day in Niger State, 24 farm workers, including pregnant women, were seized from Palaita village in Shiroro LGA.

The rampage began on November 18, when 38 worshippers were abducted during a Thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti LGA of Kwara State, with three persons killed.

In Borno, on November 23, ISWAP militants kidnapped 12 teenage girls aged 15–20 from a farm in the Mussa district of Askira/Uba LGA. They were later rescued by security forces.

By November 21, over 315 persons — comprising 303 students and 12 teachers — had been kidnapped from St Mary’s Private Primary and Secondary Schools in Niger State. About 50 were said to have escaped.

On November 25, police confirmed the abduction of 10 persons in a fresh attack on a Kwara community. Five days later, the Kogi State Police Command also confirmed the abduction of two travellers.

The following day, 21 passengers were abducted along a highway in Kogi State, though all were later rescued.

On Sunday, masked men again kidnapped a traditional ruler — the Ojibara of Bayagan in Ifelodun LGA of Kwara State, Oba Kamilu Salami.

In Sokoto, no fewer than 30 women — including a bride, her friends, and visiting wedding guests — were abducted when suspected bandits attacked Chacho community in Wurno LGA in the early hours of Saturday.

Eyewitnesses said the attackers stormed the community, moving from house to house and unleashing panic.

A resident,  Hadiyatullahi Tarah, who first raised the alarm on social media, described the attack as “a devastating blow to families preparing for what should have been a joyful celebration.”

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Kwara traditional worshipper accuses neighbours of burning her house

According to him, the gunmen also shot one resident, who is now receiving treatment, before abducting the man’s wife. He said the number of kidnapped persons, mostly women, could rise beyond the initial estimate of 30.

“They went away with many women, including the bride and her friends who travelled for the wedding. People are in shock. We pray for their safe return,” he said.

Efforts to obtain official details from the Sokoto State Police Command were unsuccessful, as the Police Public Relations Officer, Ahmed Rufai, had not responded as of press time.

Similarly, the Kogi State Government confirmed an early Sunday morning attack on a Cherubim and Seraphim Church in Ejiba, Yagba West LGA.

Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo, condemned the attack, saying the gunmen abducted the pastor, his wife and several worshippers.

The Ejiba community was thrown into panic, with residents fleeing for safety.

Fanwo described the incident as “very sad and unfortunate,” noting that preliminary intelligence suggested the attackers had been hiding in the community or nearby bushes for days.

He criticised religious leaders for holding services in isolated locations, especially shortly after similar attacks in neighbouring Kwara State.

In Kwara, abductors of the Ojibara of Bayagan Ile, Oba Kamilu Salami, have demanded N150m ransom. The kidnappers contacted the community early Sunday to announce their demand and to confirm that the monarch was in their custody.

A family source told The PUNCH that the abductors compelled the king to speak directly with his people to verify his captivity.

“The king called the palace on Sunday morning. He told us they are requesting N150 million,” the source said.

The monarch reportedly narrated how the kidnappers moved him on a motorcycle for over five hours through thick forests before arriving at a remote camp.

Salami was abducted on his farm around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, prompting fresh fears over the rise in kidnappings across the state. This incident came days after 10 people, including a pregnant woman and children, were kidnapped in the Isapa community in Ekiti LGA.

When contacted, the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, said she had yet to receive full details of the incident.

See also  Police arrest teenager, accomplices over tricycle theft in Yobe

In Kano, Deputy Senate President Barau Jibrin on Sunday urged security agencies to intensify operations following fresh bandit attacks in Tsanyawa and Shanono LGAs.

Reacting to Saturday night’s attack in Yankamaye village, Tsanyawa LGA, Barau warned that bandits fleeing military operations in neighbouring states must not be allowed to regroup in Kano communities.

He condemned the killing of a woman and the kidnapping of three others in the area, describing it as one of several similar attacks that occurred in recent days.

Nigeria can overcome terrorism, says Senate chair

Senate Minority Leader Abba Moro, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Insecurity (North-Central and South-South), told The PUNCH that Nigeria does not need to rely on the proposed US military intervention under President Donald Trump to overcome terrorism.

“Nigeria is a sovereign country. It should be able to develop appropriate strategies to solve its problems. America will not solve our problems,” he said.

Moro argued that historical precedents and community efforts show that local solutions are viable, citing instances where communities in his constituency coordinated intelligence, tracked kidnappers and rescued victims.

He advocated stronger roles for local vigilantes, hunters and forest guards, saying they often outperform external forces.

With escalating attacks across Sokoto, Kano, Kogi and Kwara, the Senate renewed calls for a bottom-up security strategy integrating local actors into national operations.

The  Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria has condemned the attack on the church in Ejiba, describing it as a “direct affront” to President Tinubu’s recent declaration of a nationwide security emergency.

HURIWA’s National Coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko, accused the Federal Government of lacking urgency and strategy, saying terrorists were now “poking their fingers in the eyes of the President.”

He linked the Kogi attack to what he described as the administration’s failure to decisively address mass abductions, citing the November 21 kidnapping of 315 students and teachers in Papiri, Niger State.

He faulted President Tinubu for retaining Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, whom he described as “non-performing” and “too old for the demands of the job,” despite his reaching statutory retirement age, accusing the president of altering the Police Act to extend his tenure.

See also  Full details of alleged terrorism financing charge against ex-AGF Malami, son

HURIWA further argued that nepotistic appointments in the military and security agencies had created strategic gaps in the fight against terrorism, contributing to mass killings, rampant kidnappings, and attacks targeting Christians and minority groups.

According to the group, the President lacks the political will to wage a relentless war on terrorists, partly because of alleged compromises linked to his 2027 re-election ambitions.

“The president is yet to prosecute terrorism financiers transparently,” the statement said. “Granting amnesty or so-called reintegration to terrorists is unconstitutional, unjust and fuels further violence. Terrorists do not repent. They must face the full weight of the law.”

Onwubiko handed down a blunt charge to the President: “Tinubu, stop cuddling terrorists. Kill them now.”

 Presidency rejects Obasanjo’s advice

Meanwhile, the Presidency has rejected suggestions that Nigeria should hand over internal security to foreign governments, describing such calls as “capitulation.”

Responding to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, the Presidency defended President Tinubu’s strategies, insisting they are already yielding results.

Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Sunday Dare, wrote on X that portraying the Tinubu administration as unable to protect Nigerians was “ignoble,” insisting that Nigeria is confronting “real terrorists.”

“The suggestion that Nigeria should subcontract its internal security to foreign governments is not statesmanship; it is capitulation,” he said.

Obasanjo had argued in a public event in Jos that Nigerians have a right to seek international help if the government fails in its constitutional duty to protect them.

The Presidency, however, faulted Obasanjo’s comments, accusing him of ignoring the fact that Boko Haram’s ideological foundations and early cells emerged under his administration.

Defending Tinubu’s approach, Dare said the President is confronting “full-spectrum terrorism” through kinetic operations, non-kinetic interventions, and a whole-of-government strategy.

He cautioned that disparaging Nigeria’s capacity hands psychological victories to terrorists.

Security analysts say the spread of attacks across multiple states in the last 13 days underscores the urgency of the Senate’s warnings.

Meanwhile, residents across affected communities continue to plead for rapid intervention, improved surveillance and sustained rescue operations for those still held in captivity.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get – BBNaija star, Tacha

Published

on

BBNaija star, Tacha, has called for the maximum punishment for Mirabel, the lady who in a viral video claimed she was r@ped inside her home by an unknown man.

In a shocking revelation, Mirabel on Thursday, February 19, confessed to social critic, VeryDarkMan, that she lied about the r@pe claim. She claimed she was dealing with serious mental health issues which was why she came up with the false claim.

Many Nigerians have called for her to be prosecuted. In a post shared on X, Tacha also called for Mirabel’s prosecution. She opined that Mirable should be punished just the way a r@pist would be punished if found guilty.

‘’Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the r*pe allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling r*pe and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..

We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized”

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get - BBNaija star, Tacha

 

In a follow-up video, Tacha stated that false rape claims only empower r@pe apologists to dismiss the claims of real r@pe victims whenever a fresh case of the crime surfaces.

 ‘’R@pe is a very serious issue. Women should never waponize r@pe for whatever reason. Never use r@pe to get back at an ex or a man. Never try to do so because at the end of the day, you are taking away from the real victims. You are Honestly!

You are empowering these r@pe apologists and r@pists because they feel like the next girl that comes out to talk about it how many people will believe her? because truthfully how many people will believe her?”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Kidnappers hold 166 Kaduna worshippers, demand N29m deposit
Continue Reading

Crime

Police, military step up patrols in Kebbi LG after 33 killed

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Meanwhile, earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

See also  Kidnappers hold 166 Kaduna worshippers, demand N29m deposit

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts intensify to restore lasting peace in the troubled communities.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS invites suspects as wife opens up on the abduction of Dadiyata

Published

on

The Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna.

His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.

The development comes as Kadijah, the wife of social media commentator and critic, expressed fresh worries over her husband’s disappearance.

She spoke in a video interview with Ambassador-designate Reno Omokri, which was released on his X handle on Thursday.

Omokri, who visited the mother of two at her residence, sought support for Kadijah and her children, pledging to get justice for her.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” Kadijah said when asked what she had to say about her husband’s disappearance over the years, especially given recent comments made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

Appealing to Nigerians, she said, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Omokri further asked Kadijah what she had to say about an old comment made about her husband that suggested “mockery.”

“It was somebody who showed me (the post) because I didn’t have a phone at that time,” she said of the 2019 comment reportedly made by the son of a former Kaduna State Governor.

The post had read, “Those same clowns who encouraged him when he was creating false stories and capitalising on lies that could endanger lives solely for political ends are the same individuals trending hashtags asking, ‘#WhereisDadiyata.’

See also  Two Nigerian inmates rearrested after jailbreak in Nepal

“Dangerous lies in the public space have consequences. I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” Kadijah stated in the video.

She further narrated how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she watched from the window as it happened.

Assuring Kadijah of Dadiyata’s safe return if he is alive, and justice in the unlikely event of his death, Omokri empathised with the woman and sought assistance for the family.

He appealed to the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, for “whatever he can do for them… to help their living conditions, probably relocate them, help their education, or help the mother with a job. Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them.”

Dadiyata, a lecturer and online commentator, was abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he drove into his home in Barnawa, Kaduna.

The incident has continued to attract public attention and demands for accountability.

Dadiyata’s matter resurfaced on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement in the case and argued that the missing commentator was primarily critical of the Kano administration rather than the Kaduna State government.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government.

“He is a Kwankwasiya guy; he lives in Kaduna and lectures at a university in Katsina State, but is a fierce critic not of Kaduna State. Go and review his timeline,” he said.

See also  Full details of alleged terrorism financing charge against ex-AGF Malami, son

El-Rufai further stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to the police.

“It was Ganduje that was his problem. I didn’t even know him. We only got the report of Dadiyata’s existence and the fact that he lives in Kaduna State after the family reported to the police that he was abducted as he was returning home in the evening.

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he said.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed being linked to the case in a statement issued by his former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Muhammad Garba.

He described the claims as “reckless, unfounded, and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.”

According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government.

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he said.

A security source told The PUNCH that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping.

See also  Police arrest teenager, accomplices over tricycle theft in Yobe

The Service was reported to have reopened the case and was set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning over the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending