Connect with us

News

Rivers Assembly attacks Fubara over infrastructure collapse, N600bn savings

Published

on

A fresh crisis is brewing between the Rivers State House of Assembly and Governor Siminalayi Fubara as lawmakers criticised the state government for allegedly abandoning public schools, despite that the state’s Sole Administrator, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.), left over N600bn in state accounts on his exit in September.

Fubara, however, reflected on the political crisis that rocked Rivers State, noting that he experienced peace only after the six-month emergency rule declared by President Bola Tinubu was lifted.

Six months after assuming office in 2023, a disagreement between Fubara and his predecessor and political godfather, now Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, escalated into a major political crisis.

The impasse led to the emergence of two Speakers in the House of Assembly—Martin Amaewhule, loyal to Wike, and Edison Ehie, loyal to Fubara—following the bombing of the Assembly complex amid rumours of an impeachment plot against the governor.

As the crisis peaked in March 2025, President Tinubu declared a six-month emergency rule, suspending both the governor and lawmakers and appointing Ibas as Sole Administrator.

The emergency rule ended on September 18, 2025, after which both the governor and the Assembly resumed duties, pledging to work together.

Last week, Fubara inspected the under-construction Assembly complex, expressing delight that it would be ready this month for the presentation of the 2026 budget.

However, on Monday, lawmakers criticised his administration for paying “lip service” to the deteriorating infrastructure in public schools.

The House Committee Chairman on Education, Igwe Aforji, had visited Township School 1 and 2 along Moscow Road, Port Harcourt, describing the facilities as deplorable.

See also  FRSC celebrates Independence with inter-school quiz competition in Oyo

Speaker Amaewhule said students are learning under terrible conditions and teachers are overstretched.

“As of yesterday the House committee chairman on education found out that one teacher is teaching two classes—Primary 1 and 2—in one classroom. So the teacher will teach Primary 1 a little while Primary 2 is listening to Primary 1 class. Then Primary 1 will stop listening while the teacher teaches Primary 2. Maybe they are blocking their ears, and they are in the same classroom,” he said.

He also highlighted the lack of basic amenities, noting that one school near the government house and the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company headquarters had no power, toilets, or security.

“Vandals have taken over the school. They destroy the little facilities they have there. The Rivers State Executive Council has not done anything,” he said.

Amaewhule lamented that although the immediate past administrator, Ibas, left over N600bn in state accounts, public schools remain in a “shameful state.” He warned,

“We cannot continue to fold our arms while our children continue to suffer, while teachers continue to cry. How will anyone believe that in the year 2025 in a state like Rivers, one teacher will be teaching two classrooms under one roof?

“No toilet, no electricity, yet that school is sharing a fence with the PHED headquarters. Vandals have taken over the school… It is an abomination, it is an aberration and it is unacceptable.”

Meanwhile, Governor Fubara, in a veiled response, said improving education is a priority and announced that the sector will receive the largest allocation in the 2026 budget.

See also  Boost climate action funding, Tinubu urges World Bank, IMF

He acknowledged the poor state of schools but stressed that the decay predates his administration and was used by opponents during the 2023 campaigns.

“You all are aware of the deplorable state of our schools. They didn’t get that way in one month or one year. If you remember, one of the things they used in abusing me when I was campaigning was, ‘What are you doing? You say you want to continue. There are no teachers in Etche, Gokana and other parts of the state,’” he said.

Fubara also reflected on the political crisis, saying it slowed progress.

“If you want to be truthful to yourself, if at all we have had peace, I can say I had peace only after we came back from emergency. Tell me, had there been any month before that unfortunate incident that we had one week of rest?”

He assured that his team was working strategically to reverse the decline in education, citing his background in public administration as guiding his approach to planning and reform.

On healthcare, he pointed to ongoing upgrades of zonal hospitals and interventions in workers’ welfare.

Regarding employment, Fubara said the government remains committed to creating jobs, including the anticipated 10,000 openings, but stressed that recruitment would be based on the state’s needs and would not be politicised.

Monday’s meeting, which was the 3rd and 4th combined quarterly session of the Rivers State Council of Traditional Rulers for the year, also saw the governor commend traditional rulers for helping maintain peace during the political impasse.

See also  Tinubu urges ECOWAS’ unity to resist coups, ensure regional stability

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  US Ready To Intervene If Iran Kills Protesters, Says Trump

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu urges ECOWAS’ unity to resist coups, ensure regional stability

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  President Tinubu Writes Reps, Seeks N1.15tr Borrowing Approval To Fund 2025 Budget Deficit
Continue Reading

Trending