Connect with us

News

Big diplomatic overhaul: Tinubu’s 65 envoy picks brace for Senate storm

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu’s 65 ambassadorial nominees will face rigorous Senate grilling next week as part of their confirmation process.

Three notable opposition senators, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the screening would not be ‘business as usual,’ hinting at plans to put several of the nominees on the spot.

‘’Our current situation requires seasoned and knowledgeable men and women who can represent and defend Nigeria’s interests before the international community. Ambassadorial position is not all about political patronage or job for the boys and this is why we would ensure that those who would represent Nigeria at the foreign missions are patriotic individuals who have integrity,’’ a ranking senator noted.

Another lawmaker said the nominees would be properly grilled to ensure they are ‘’fit for purpose.’’

On Thursday, the Senate received the President’s request for the confirmation of the nominees, one of the administration’s largest diplomatic submissions yet.

The request, read during plenary by Senate President Godswill Akpabio, contained two lists: 34 career ambassadors and high commissioners and 31 non-career nominees.

The latest transmission came less than 24 hours after lawmakers began screening an initial set of three nominees earlier forwarded by the President.

Citing Section 171 (1), (2) and (4) of the 1999 Constitution, Tinubu urged the upper chamber to “consider and confirm expeditiously” 15 career ambassadors and 17 non-career ambassadors.

“I am pleased to present for confirmation the list of the 32 ambassadorial nominees for the positions of career ambassadors, non-career ambassadors and high commissioners,” the letter partly stated.

Notable career diplomats on the list include Ambassadors Sulu-Gambari Olatunji Ahmed (Kwara), Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno) and  Maimuna Ibrahim (Adamawa).

Prominent non-career nominees include former Chief of Naval Staff and ex-Rivers State military administrator, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.)from Cross River; former presidential aide and ex-senator, Ita Enang (Akwa Ibom); and former Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd.),  from Kano.

See also  Crusade row rattles CAN, PFN

Akpabio referred the list to the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs with a one-week deadline to conclude screenings and submit its report. ‘’The committee is to report back to us in one week,” he said.

On Wednesday, the Senate commenced the screening of Kayode Are (Ogun), Aminu Dalhatu (Jigawa) and Ayodele Oke (Oyo), who were earlier nominated by the President. The committee chairman, Senator Sani Bello, disclosed that Oke used the session to address and clear allegations previously levelled against him.

The report on the three nominees is expected to be presented to the full Senate in the coming days, even as lawmakers begin processing the newly transmitted list.

The staggered submissions appear to be part of the administration’s phased strategy to fill critical diplomatic positions ahead of an anticipated major shake-up in Nigeria’s foreign missions.

List of nominees

The career ambassadors are: Amb. Ezenwa Chukwuemeka (Abia); Maimuna Ibrahim (Adamawa); Monica Ogochukwu (Anambra); Ambassador Mohammed Mahmoud Lele (Bauchi); Endoni Sindo (Bayelsa); Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Minguno (Borno); Jane Adams Okon Michael (Cross River); Clark Omeruo Alexandra (Delta); Chimma Geoffrey Davies (Ebonyi); Oduma Yvonne Ehinose (Edo); Wasa Segun Ige (Edo); Ambassador Adeyemi Adebayo Emmanuel (Ekiti); Ambassador Onaga Ogechukwu Kingsley (Enugu); Magaji Umar (Jigawa); Mohammed Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna); AbdulSalam Abus Zayat (Kano); Shehu Barde (Katsina); Aminu Nasiu (Katsina); Abubakar Musa Musa (Kebbi); Mohammed Idris (Kebbi); Bako Adamu Umar (Kogi); Sulu-Gambari Olatunji Ahmed (Kwara); Ramata Mohammed (Lagos); Shaga John Shama (Nasarawa); Salau Hamza Mohammed (Niger); Ibrahim Danlami (Niger); Adeola Ibrahim Mopelola (Ogun); Ruben Abimbola Samuel (Ondo); Akande Wahab Adekola (Osun); Adedokun Esther (Oyo); Gedagi Joseph John (Plateau); Luther Obomode Ayokalata (Rivers); Danladi Yakubu Yaku (Taraba); and Bello Dogondaji (Zamfara).

The non-career ambassadors include: Senator Grace Bent (Adamawa); Senator Ita Enang (Akwa Ibom); Nkechi Linda Okocha (Anambra); Mahmud Yakubu (Bauchi); Philip K. Ikurusi (Bayelsa); Paul Oga Adikwu (Benue); Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.) (Cross River); Abasi Braimah (Edo); Erelu Angela Adebayo (Ekiti); Barr. Olumilua Oluwayimika Ayotunwa (Ekiti); Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu); Chioma Ohakim (Imo); Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau (retd.) (Kano); Tasiu Musa Maigari (Katsina); Alhaji Abubakar Sanusi Aliyu (Kogi); Olufemi Pedro (Lagos); Barr. Mohammed Ubandoma Aliyu (Nasarawa); Senator Jimoh Ibrahim (Ondo); Ambassador Joseph Sola Iji (Ondo); Fani-Kayode (Osun); Professor O. Adewole (Osun); Florence Ajimobi (Oyo); Lola Akande (Oyo); Professor Nora Ladi Daduut (Plateau); Yakubu N. Gambo (Plateau); Chukwujinka Okocha (Rivers); Haruna Abubakar (Sokoto); Jerry Samuel Manwe (Taraba); and Adamu Garba Talba (Yobe).

See also  DSS summons Awujale nominees as kingmakers cancel ‘meet-and-greet’

However, a report claimed that Talba died about five months ago. The PUNCH could not verify this claim as of press time.

With the fresh batch of nominees, the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee faces a packed week of screenings aimed at clearing the backlog of ambassadorial postings critical to Nigeria’s representation abroad.

Two-year diplomatic vacuum

Tinubu’s delay in nominating ambassadors had sparked concern over Nigeria’s diplomatic presence. The nearly two-year wait was attributed partly to financial constraints.

Government officials said many embassies were in disrepair and required refurbishment before new envoys could resume.

The Federal Government earmarked N53bn in the 2024 budget to renovate 103 foreign missions, covering chanceries, staff quarters, ambassadors’ residences, office furniture and vehicles. Still, sources estimated that almost $1bn would be required to fully fund Nigeria’s 109 missions and clear accumulated arrears.

While the Presidency said the delay was meant to ensure the selection of the right candidates, critics argued that political wrangling and regional balancing were the real causes.

Experts warn that the prolonged diplomatic gaps weakened Nigeria’s influence in international forums, reduced its ability to protect citizens abroad and may have cost the country economic opportunities.

Security analysts also note that the absence of ambassadors could expose Nigeria to security threats that are better addressed through diplomatic channels.

The submission of 65 nominees is now seen as a crucial step toward restoring Nigeria’s diplomatic footprint worldwide.

Atiku slams Tinubu

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticised President Tinubu’s nomination of the immediate past chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, for an ambassadorial post.

See also  Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

Atiku said that if he were President of Nigeria, he would never nominate a past INEC chairman as an ambassador.

In a statement posted on his X handle on Thursday, he said he would not consider such a move, insisting it would send the wrong signals to the public and undermine trust in the electoral system.

“Let me state without ambiguity: under no circumstance would I, as President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, nominate the immediate past INEC Chairman for an ambassadorial position,” the former VP wrote.

Tinubu submitted Yakubu’s name as part of a list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation on November 29.

However, Yakubu’s nomination has sparked debate, stemming from the fact that his tenure at INEC ended only a few weeks ago and that he presided over the 2023 general elections, which ushered in Tinubu as President.

According to Atiku, appointing the ex-INEC chairman to a diplomatic position would raise “serious concerns” and risk being interpreted as a reward for the conduct of one of Nigeria’s most disputed elections.

“It presents terrible optics for an administration already struggling with credibility. It sends the wrong message to the current @inecnigeria leadership; that partisan, compromised, or poorly executed elections may ultimately be rewarded.

“And most importantly, it is morally indefensible for an umpire at the centre of one of the most disputed elections in our history to become a beneficiary of its outcome,” he said.

Atiku further noted that such a nomination undermines efforts to strengthen Nigeria’s democracy and restore public trust in institutions.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Fire guts Yinka Ayefele’s Music House in Ibadan, Fresh FM affected

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  VIDEO - Dangote Trucks Move Freely in China But Face Roadblocks in Nigeria | Must Watch!
Continue Reading

Trending