Connect with us

News

Sokoto residents jubilate as military foils attack, kills 13 bandits

Published

on

Residents of Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State broke into jubilation on Monday after troops of the Nigerian Army foiled an attempted attack on their communities and killed at least 13 suspected bandits in a coordinated operation.

Troops deployed in Kurawa near Kwanan Kimbo engaged the attackers in a fierce gun duel that lasted several hours, forcing the assailants to retreat.

Soldiers later pursued the fleeing bandits to their hideout across a stream, where additional casualties were recorded.

A community source told our correspondent that nine bodies were recovered within the area, while four others were found in the surrounding bush.

Several weapons, including AK-47 rifles and ammunition, were also recovered and taken to the military base in Kurawa.

Military sources confirmed the operation, conducted under Operation Fansan Yamma , describing it as “intense” but noting that the army recorded no casualties.

“It was a determined effort by the troops. The terrorists suffered heavy losses,” one source said.

The operation came just days after troops and local vigilantes repelled another attack on Gatawa community on Friday, heightening public confidence in the renewed security efforts.

Across Kurawa, Tarah, Karawa and nearby villages, residents were seen celebrating the military’s success. They urged the army to sustain the tempo to curb recurrent attacks that have plagued Sabon Birni LGA.

Confirming the development, the member representing Sabon Birni in the Sokoto State House of Assembly, Alhaji Aminu Boza, said at least nine bodies of the attackers had been sighted, with search efforts continuing.

See also  PICTORIAL: Nigeria takes over G-24 leadership, promises global economic reforms

The Sokoto State Government also praised the troops for their swift action. In a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, Col. Ahmed Usman (retd.), the government said the military had averted what could have been a tragic assault on traders travelling from Tarah to the Sabon Birni weekly market.

“The professionalism and courage displayed by our military personnel reaffirm their commitment to protecting lives and property,” Usman said.

He added that Governor Ahmed Aliyu’s administration would continue to support security agencies and called on residents to remain vigilant and share timely intelligence.

“Anyone aiding or abetting criminal activity will face the full weight of the law,” he warned.

Sabon Birni LGA has been one of the hardest-hit areas in Sokoto, suffering repeated attacks in recent months, particularly around Gatawa and neighbouring settlements. Residents say they hope the latest military success marks a turning point in efforts to restore peace to the region.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Reps approve $347m loan for Lagos-Calabar highway, others

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PICTORIAL: Nigeria takes over G-24 leadership, promises global economic reforms

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Reps approve $347m loan for Lagos-Calabar highway, others
Continue Reading

Trending