Connect with us

News

ECOWAS Court: Nigeria tops countries ignoring judgments

Published

on

Nigeria has the highest number of unenforced judgments issued by the ECOWAS Court of Justice.

Speaking while presenting enforcement statistics for the region on Wednesday during the commemoration of World Human Rights Day, the Court’s Deputy Chief Registrar, Gaye Sowe, said the data showed a persistent pattern of non-compliance across several member states, with Nigeria accounting for the largest backlog.

According to him, Nigeria has 50 outstanding judgments yet to be enforced.

“Nigeria has a total of 125 cases. Out of the 125 cases, 67 were dismissed, 10 enforced, and 48 yet to be enforced. I think recently, if we add the two, that would take the number to about 50,” he said.

He explained that the court had delivered 492 judgments involving the 12 active ECOWAS member states, out of which 192 were categorised as enforceable.

“As of today, the total number of cases filed before the ECOWAS Court of Justice stands at 775. Excluding the AES countries, the total drops to 702. The total number of judgments delivered involving AES countries is 492, while without the AES, it is 419. The court currently has 136 pending cases.

“Out of the 419 judgments involving AES countries, 192 are enforceable. By enforceable, we mean cases in which member states or defendants are required to take specific measures, ” Sowe said.

Breaking down the figures per country, Sowe said, “Republic of Benin: Total judgments – 19; dismissed – 13; unenforced – six; enforced – 0. Republic of Cape Verde: Total – three; dismissed – two; unenforced – one; enforced – 0. Republic of Côte d’Ivoire: Total – 28; dismissed – 19; unenforced – nine; enforced – 0. Ghana: Total – 13; dismissed – six; unenforced – 7; enforced – 0. Guinea-Bissau: Total – one; dismissed – 0; unenforced – one; enforced – 0.

See also  Lagos driver arrested as truck crushes motorboy to death

“Republic of Guinea: Total – 25; dismissed – 7; unenforced – 18; enforced – 0. Liberia: Total – 15; dismissed – 10; unenforced – four; enforced – 1. Nigeria: Total – 125; dismissed – 67; enforced – 10; unenforced – 48 (recently rising to 50). Senegal: Total – 35; dismissed – 23; unenforced – nine; enforced – three.

“Sierra Leone: Total – 18; dismissed – six; unenforced – 11; enforced – one. The Gambia: Total – 13; dismissed – 5; unenforced – five; enforced – 2; 1 struck out. Togo: Total – 58; dismissed – 26; unenforced – 29; partially enforced – one; amicably settled – one; withdrawn – one.”

Sowe added that the ECOWAS Commission, which also appears before the Court as a respondent institution, had 36 judgments against it.

“For the ECOWAS Commission, there are 36 judgments: dismissed – 18; enforced – 14; unenforced – three; amicably settled – one; abandoned – one,” he said.

He noted that more than half of all judgments delivered by the court since inception were dismissed.

“Out of the 419 judgments that have been delivered by the court so far, 54 per cent of those were dismissed cases,” he said.

Sowe said this trend raised concerns about the nature of cases filed before the court, adding that it was an issue the institution would continue to address through outreach. “Probably that is something the court can look into when it goes into various countries to do sensitisation,” he said.

He further disclosed that most member states had established competent national authorities required to enforce judgments.

See also  FCT doctors begin indefinite strike

“Out of the 12 member states, 10 have done so. We only have Benin and Cabo Verde that haven’t done so yet,” he said.

President of the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice, Ricardo Gonçalves, noted that the court had delivered several judgments advancing rights such as freedom of expression, assembly, education and a healthy environment, most of its decisions remained unimplemented by member states.

He urged ECOWAS countries to fully enforce its judgments, cooperate with national and regional human rights bodies, and ensure victims have access to justice without barriers. It also called for more protection for civil society groups, the media and human rights defenders.

He said, “The court has given several progressive judgments spanning different areas of human rights, such as the rights to life, freedom from torture, expression, association, assembly, education, work, healthy environment, among others. By these judgments, the court has held states accountable for violations of civil and political rights, economic, social and cultural rights, as well as third generation rights. By its progressive interpretation of international human rights norms, the court has significantly contributed to aligning the law and policy of ECOWAS member states to their freely assumed international human rights obligations.

“The court is concerned that ECOWAS member states are yet to implement most of its judgments. Without effective and total implementation of the court’s judgments, the promise of human rights protection offered by the 2005 Supplementary Protocol becomes a mirage. “

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  My cancer treatment to be reduced next year after early diagnosis - King Charles

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Guard democracy, curb misinformation, Tinubu urges editors

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Late Olubadan, Oba Olakulehin, laid to rest with military honours
Continue Reading

Trending