Connect with us

News

Opposition slams govt as states’ IGR soars by 50%

Published

on

The surge in subnational revenue has drawn mixed reactions from stakeholders nationwide, including labour union leaders and opposition parties, many of whom have criticised poor revenue management and the neglect of key projects at both federal and state levels.

This follows Monday’s release of Internally Generated Revenue data by the National Bureau of Statistics, showing that states’ combined revenue jumped by 50 per cent to N3.63tn in 2024, even as dependence on monthly disbursements from the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee persisted.

Twelve states recorded over 50 per cent revenue growth, while 24 states posted less than 50 per cent, underscoring the structural weakness of state economies and their reliance on FAAC allocations.

Labour leaders, opposition parties, and civil society groups who spoke to The PUNCH in separate interviews acknowledged the impressive growth in IGR but questioned its transparency and impact on citizens’ welfare.

Labour unions accused some state governments of failing to translate higher revenues into tangible development outcomes, alleging that workers’ welfare, infrastructure, and public services remain neglected despite record earnings. The Nigeria Labour Congress in several states described the growth as “paper gains”, arguing that it had not translated into improved salaries, pension settlements, or better healthcare services.

Opposition politicians also questioned the fiscal discipline of many governors, alleging that despite unprecedented inflows, budget performance and capital projects remained weak. They called on anti-graft agencies and auditors to investigate how states manage their revenues, insisting that citizens must see clear value for every naira generated.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State said there was nothing on the ground to reflect the increased federal allocation to the state following fuel subsidy removal.

See also  PHOTOS: Kidnapped Oyo pupils, teachers regain freedom from bandits’ captivity

The party’s Publicity Secretary, Arc. Kayode Adebayo, told The PUNCH that while allocations to states had risen substantially, the Dapo Abiodun administration had “nothing significant to show”.

“Our roads are bad, and local governments, the tier closest to the people, have nothing to show. They can’t even clear drainages,” Adebayo said. “Local government autonomy exists only on paper. The governors are not in tune with President Bola Tinubu’s position on its implementation. Residents are not feeling the impact of these increased funds.”

Trade Union Congress Chairman, Comrade Akeem Lasisi, echoed similar sentiments, noting that many states had failed to make judicious use of the increased revenue.

“The general public is yet to feel the full impact. The government must prioritise workers’ welfare and projects that directly benefit residents, such as infrastructure, healthcare, and education,” he said.

In Sokoto, PDP Chairman Hon. Aliyu Goronyo accused Governor Ahmed Aliyu’s administration of mismanaging state revenue and abandoning legacy projects initiated by the previous government.

“Despite increased inflows, there’s no single legacy project to the government’s name,” Goronyo said. “Every project we started that had direct impact on people, from the Teaching Hospital to market developments, has been abandoned.”

He also alleged worsening insecurity and unemployment, claiming that over 2,000 health workers employed by the former administration had been dismissed. “Even after a year, many local government chairmen have no official vehicles,” he added.

Opposition parties and labour leaders in Benue State faulted Governor Hyacinth Alia’s performance despite “huge resources” accruing to the state.

PDP Chairman Hon. Ezekiel Adaji described the governor as “a total failure”, accusing him of prioritising political battles over governance. Labour Party Chairman Ibrahim Idoko also criticised the government, saying, “Payment of salaries and pensions is a basic duty, not an achievement.”

See also  Ondo nurses vow not to treat patients during seven-day warning strike

He added that ongoing road projects were not commensurate with the state’s revenue and accused the government of neglecting local contractors who could stimulate the economy.

In contrast, Plateau State NLC Chairman Eugene Mangji commended Governor Caleb Mutfwang for regular payment of workers’ salaries and implementation of the minimum wage.

He said, “As labour, our concern is prompt payment. The governor has met that expectation.” However, he declined to comment on budget utilisation, saying the NLC lacked oversight in that area.

The NLC in Kano praised Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for prudent fiscal management. Chairman Kabiru Inuwa noted that “workers suffered under the previous administration, but this government has cleared arrears and paid N27bn of N48bn in gratuities.”

However, the SDP Chairman, Alhaji Ali Shettima, accused the government of “misplaced priorities”, saying it focused on flyovers rather than water supply and agriculture. “Only 15 per cent of residents have potable water,” he lamented.

Bayelsa TUC Chairman, Comrade Julius Laye, urged Governor Douye Diri to channel more funds into health and education despite progress in infrastructure.

He lauded the administration for constructing roads, acquiring aircraft, and paying gratuities but warned, “Hospitals are losing staff through retirements; without new recruitment, service delivery will suffer.”

In Zamfara, NLC Secretary Ahmed Abubakar said several ongoing projects suggested better governance, but APC spokesman Yusuf Idris alleged that development efforts were concentrated in Governor Dauda Lawal’s hometown, Gusau.

In Jigawa, NLC Chairman Sanusi Maigatari described IGR growth as encouraging but urged greater transparency. PDP Deputy Chairman Umar Danjani demanded an independent audit, saying, “We see rising figures but no visible impact.” Labour Party chieftain Ashiru Dalhatu also bemoaned poor infrastructure and unemployment.

See also  Inside dilapidated Ogun hospital where patients supply own beds

The Bauchi TUC praised Governor Bala Mohammed’s administration for prudence and prompt payment of the N70,000 minimum wage.

State Chairman Sabiu Barau said, “Every local government has benefited from infrastructure upgrades. This is responsible governance.”

Despite overall growth, 24 states recorded less than 50 per cent IGR increase in 2024, raising concerns about fiscal dependence on FAAC.

FAAC data showed that the 36 states and the FCT collectively received N5.08tn from the Federation Account in 2024, well above their combined IGR of N3.63tn.

Among low performers were Adamawa, Anambra, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Delta, Edo, Ekiti, FCT, Gombe, Imo, Kaduna, Katsina, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Plateau, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara. Some states, including Ondo, Ebonyi, and Yobe, even reported revenue declines.

In contrast, high performers such as Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Enugu, Jigawa, Kano, Kebbi, Lagos, Osun, Rivers, and Taraba recorded growth of 50 per cent or more.

Lagos, Rivers, and the FCT remained Nigeria’s top revenue generators, accounting for more than 40 per cent of the national total.

Enugu State led percentage growth, rising by 433 per cent from N33.86bn to N180.50bn, followed by Bayelsa’s 222 per cent and Kano’s 100 per cent.

Fiscal analysts attributed Enugu’s rise to reforms in land administration and automation, while Bayelsa’s growth was driven by improved oil-related levies.

Despite such gains, experts warned that without stronger fiscal accountability, many states risk continuing a cycle of revenue growth without visible development.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Inside dilapidated Ogun hospital where patients supply own beds

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  "Some day, our rainbow children will be seen in full colour" Bisi Alimi says in Independence Day prayer for Nigeria
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Fresh Details Emerge On How Terrorists Killed Gen. Braimah

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending