Connect with us

Crime

EFCC arraigns Malami, wife, son over alleged N8.7bn money laundering

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday arraigned Abubakar Malami, former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, alongside Bashir Asabe, his wife and Abubakar Malami, their son, before the Federal High Court in Maitama, Abuja, over alleged money laundering involving N8.7 billion.

The trio appeared before Emeka Nwite (Justice) on a 16-count charge bordering on conspiracy, procuring, disguising, concealing and laundering proceeds of unlawful activities, contrary to provisions of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

According to a statement by Dele Oyewale, EFCC’s Spokesman on Tuesday, the alleged offences involve a total sum of N8,713,923,759.49, said to have been laundered through a web of corporate entities and bank accounts between 2022 and 2025.

At the commencement of proceedings, Ekele Iheanacho, prosecuting counsel, informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment of the defendants on a charge dated December 23, 2025.

“My Lord, this matter is for the arraignment of the defendants on a 16-count charge. We humbly pray that the charge be read to them and their pleas taken,” Iheanacho said.

J.B. Daudu, Counsel to the defendants, did not object, prompting Justice Nwite to order that the charge be read in open court.

“One of the counts alleged that Malami and his son, between July 2022 and June 2025, procured Metropolitan Auto Tech Limited to conceal the unlawful origin of N1.014 billion lodged in a Sterling Bank account, when they reasonably ought to have known that the funds were proceeds of unlawful activities.

See also  55 suspected internet fraudsters arrested in Ogun (PHOTOS)

Another count accused Malami, his wife and son of conspiring in September 2024 to disguise the unlawful origin of N1.049 billion allegedly paid through the Union Bank account of Meethaq Hotels Limited, Jabi, between November 2022 and September 2024.

The charge further alleged that Malami and his son indirectly took control of N1.36 billion paid through the Union Bank savings account of Meethaq Hotels Limited between November 2022 and October 2025, knowing or having reasonable grounds to suspect that the funds were proceeds of unlawful activities.

Iheanacho told the court that the prosecution was ready to proceed to trial and requested a trial date. He disclosed that the EFCC had been served with a bail application by the defence a day earlier and asked for time to respond.

In response, defence counsel, Daudu, urged the court to grant bail to the defendants orally, arguing that the offences charged were bailable.

“My Lord, having listened carefully to the 16-count charge, this is a proper case for an oral application for bail,” Daudu said, relying on the decision in Abiola v. FRN. He argued that Section 216 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) does not make a written application mandatory.

The prosecution opposed the oral bail application, urging the court to discountenance it.

“My Lord, we oppose the oral application for bail. The case of Abiola v. FRN relied upon by learned silk is inapplicable to the circumstances of this case,” Iheanacho submitted.

He argued that bail applications must be supported by affidavit evidence, stressing that oral submissions by counsel could not substitute for evidence.

See also  Arise News anchor’s murder suspects got arms from Niger Republic — Police

“This is a court of record. Submissions of counsel, no matter how brilliant, do not amount to evidence and cannot replace affidavit evidence,” he said, adding that granting bail orally would amount to ambushing the prosecution.

Iheanacho also urged the court to consider public interest, noting that the case involved serious economic crimes and complex financial transactions.

“The charge before this Honourable Court borders on grave economic crimes involving complex financial networks. Public interest must be taken into account, and the high office previously occupied by the first defendant does not entitle him to any preferential treatment,” he argued.

Inwite held that the prosecution must be given an adequate opportunity to respond to the bail application.

“Having listened to the submissions of learned counsel, the prosecution must be allowed sufficient time to respond,” the judge ruled.

He ordered that the defendants be remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre and adjourned the matter to January 2, 2026, for hearing of the bail application.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get – BBNaija star, Tacha

Published

on

BBNaija star, Tacha, has called for the maximum punishment for Mirabel, the lady who in a viral video claimed she was r@ped inside her home by an unknown man.

In a shocking revelation, Mirabel on Thursday, February 19, confessed to social critic, VeryDarkMan, that she lied about the r@pe claim. She claimed she was dealing with serious mental health issues which was why she came up with the false claim.

Many Nigerians have called for her to be prosecuted. In a post shared on X, Tacha also called for Mirabel’s prosecution. She opined that Mirable should be punished just the way a r@pist would be punished if found guilty.

‘’Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the r*pe allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling r*pe and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..

We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized”

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get - BBNaija star, Tacha

 

In a follow-up video, Tacha stated that false rape claims only empower r@pe apologists to dismiss the claims of real r@pe victims whenever a fresh case of the crime surfaces.

 ‘’R@pe is a very serious issue. Women should never waponize r@pe for whatever reason. Never use r@pe to get back at an ex or a man. Never try to do so because at the end of the day, you are taking away from the real victims. You are Honestly!

You are empowering these r@pe apologists and r@pists because they feel like the next girl that comes out to talk about it how many people will believe her? because truthfully how many people will believe her?”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Police arrest three over murder of woman, six children in Kano
Continue Reading

Crime

Police, military step up patrols in Kebbi LG after 33 killed

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Meanwhile, earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

See also  EFCC arrests 28 suspected internet fraudsters in Kwara

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts intensify to restore lasting peace in the troubled communities.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS invites suspects as wife opens up on the abduction of Dadiyata

Published

on

The Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna.

His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.

The development comes as Kadijah, the wife of social media commentator and critic, expressed fresh worries over her husband’s disappearance.

She spoke in a video interview with Ambassador-designate Reno Omokri, which was released on his X handle on Thursday.

Omokri, who visited the mother of two at her residence, sought support for Kadijah and her children, pledging to get justice for her.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” Kadijah said when asked what she had to say about her husband’s disappearance over the years, especially given recent comments made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

Appealing to Nigerians, she said, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Omokri further asked Kadijah what she had to say about an old comment made about her husband that suggested “mockery.”

“It was somebody who showed me (the post) because I didn’t have a phone at that time,” she said of the 2019 comment reportedly made by the son of a former Kaduna State Governor.

The post had read, “Those same clowns who encouraged him when he was creating false stories and capitalising on lies that could endanger lives solely for political ends are the same individuals trending hashtags asking, ‘#WhereisDadiyata.’

See also  EFCC arrests 28 suspected internet fraudsters in Kwara

“Dangerous lies in the public space have consequences. I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” Kadijah stated in the video.

She further narrated how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she watched from the window as it happened.

Assuring Kadijah of Dadiyata’s safe return if he is alive, and justice in the unlikely event of his death, Omokri empathised with the woman and sought assistance for the family.

He appealed to the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, for “whatever he can do for them… to help their living conditions, probably relocate them, help their education, or help the mother with a job. Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them.”

Dadiyata, a lecturer and online commentator, was abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he drove into his home in Barnawa, Kaduna.

The incident has continued to attract public attention and demands for accountability.

Dadiyata’s matter resurfaced on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement in the case and argued that the missing commentator was primarily critical of the Kano administration rather than the Kaduna State government.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government.

“He is a Kwankwasiya guy; he lives in Kaduna and lectures at a university in Katsina State, but is a fierce critic not of Kaduna State. Go and review his timeline,” he said.

See also  GRAPHIC PHOTOS: 13 children among those k!lled and injured in fresh Kaduna attack

El-Rufai further stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to the police.

“It was Ganduje that was his problem. I didn’t even know him. We only got the report of Dadiyata’s existence and the fact that he lives in Kaduna State after the family reported to the police that he was abducted as he was returning home in the evening.

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he said.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed being linked to the case in a statement issued by his former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Muhammad Garba.

He described the claims as “reckless, unfounded, and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.”

According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government.

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he said.

A security source told The PUNCH that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping.

See also  Father seeks justice over son’s mysterious death inside Lagos hotel

The Service was reported to have reopened the case and was set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning over the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending