Connect with us

News

New Year: Governors Vow Tougher Security Measures Against Terrorists

Published

on

As Nigerians begin the year with high hopes and aspirations, some governors have vowed to implement stricter security measures against terrorists in the country.

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo assured Edo people of renewed hope, stronger security, and accelerated development as the state steps into 2026, describing the New Year as a defining phase of “Hope and Growth” for the state.

In his 2026 New Year’s message, Governor Okpebholo thanked God for sustaining Edo State through 2025, which marked his administration’s first year in office, noting that the journey so far has been one of steady progress despite the challenges inherited.

“We thank the Almighty God for keeping us through 2025 and bringing us safely into 2026. It has been a remarkable first year in office — with successes recorded, challenges encountered, and lessons learned,” the governor said.

On his part, the governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo, also reiterated his commitment to providing adequate security for the lives and property of the state’s people, urging unity, hard work, and sustained patriotism.

He stated that his administration would intensify efforts to deliver people-oriented governance in the new year.

In his New Year’s message to the people, Governor Ododo thanked Almighty God for protection and guidance throughout the past year, noting that the period tested the resilience of the people but also strengthened their collective resolve.

The governor stated that, despite challenges, the state recorded modest but significant gains across key sectors, including security, infrastructure, education, healthcare, agriculture, and youth and women’s empowerment, attributing the progress to discipline, unity of purpose, and the cooperation of citizens.

See also  Tinubu heads to S’Africa, Angola for G20, AU summits

In Taraba State, Governor Agbu Kefas declared war against extremists, saying his administration would make the state unsafe for criminal elements.

The governor, who made the declaration on Thursday in Jalingo, in his New Year’s address to the people, assured residents of his renewed commitment to security, inclusive governance, and accelerated socio-economic development across the state.

He specifically declared 2026 a year of peace, progress, and prosperity for the people and government of Taraba State.

Dr Kefas reaffirmed his administration’s zero tolerance for violence, extremism, and criminality.

He stressed that no part of Taraba State would be left ungoverned or allowed to serve as a haven for criminals.

According to him, all security agencies had been empowered and properly coordinated to protect lives, property, and livelihoods throughout the state.

“Our government will continue to protect lives, property, and livelihoods with firmness, fairness, and professionalism.

Security agencies are fully empowered, coordinated, and supported to ensure that no inch of Taraba becomes a haven for criminals, bandits, terrorists, or illegal activities,” he said.

For his part, Niger State Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago stated that the state has made steady and significant progress under his leadership, despite challenges of insecurity and natural disasters.

In a New Year’s message to provide an overview of the year 2025, he described it as a year with mixed feelings, considering the achievements and unfortunate incidents, such as the Mokwa flood and the Papiri school abduction.

Bago said his administration is working tirelessly to drive development and improve the quality of life of the people of the state by investing in all sectors.

See also  MSF strengthens diphtheria intervention amid surge in suspected cases  

According to him, remarkable progress was made in the state by his administration in 2025 across critical sectors, including infrastructure, education, agriculture, healthcare, the economy, and security, among others.

The governor stated that appreciable progress was made towards the realisation of the New Niger Agenda, adding that sustainable progress was made in the construction of both urban and rural roads as well as the constant monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure speedy execution of the numerous ongoing projects across the 25 local government areas.

In Bauchi State, Governor Bala Mohammed, while congratulating the people of the state and Nigerians at large on the occasion of the new year, expressed gratitude to God Almighty for seeing the state and the nation through the challenges of 2025.

The governor described the successful passage into 2026 as an act of divine grace, noting that despite prevailing economic, political and social difficulties, the people of Bauchi State remained resilient, steadfast and prayerful.

In a New Year’s goodwill message issued on Thursday by his media aide, Mukhtar Gidado, Governor Bala Mohammed commended citizens for their patience and perseverance in the face of economic hardship.

He assured residents that his administration would continue to provide palliative support while pursuing sustainable and long-term financial solutions.

The governor reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to the full implementation of the resolutions reached at the recently held Investment and Economic Summit, with the goal of accelerating economic growth and social development across the state.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Police release detained wife, baby of FIJ reporter

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  ‘You Are Forgiven’ – Obasanjo Ends Rifts With Fayose

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Abductions surge: Northern govs demand mining suspension, unveil N228bn security fund
Continue Reading

Trending