Connect with us

News

Terrorists dare Trump, kill scores

Published

on

Armed groups have intensified attacks across parts of northern Nigeria following United States air strikes targeting Islamic State-linked militants in Sokoto State.

Findings by Saturday PUNCH revealed that no fewer than 47 people have been killed and 35 kidnapped between December 25, 2025, and January 2, 2026.

Some of the attacks were carried out on communities in Adamawa, Zamfara, Kwara, Plateau, Nasarawa, Yobe and Kano states by bandits, ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters.

President Donald Trump, last Christmas, announced in a post on his Truth Social platform that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria, and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

The Defence Headquarters later said intelligence gathered ahead of the mission confirmed the presence of terrorists in the area, adding that a battle damage assessment was still ongoing.

Renewed attacks

However, monitoring of security incidents between December 25 and January 2 shows an escalation in violence, with many communities coming under renewed assault.

A tally of media reports indicates that at least 82 people were either killed or kidnapped during the period.

The figure includes more than 35 people abducted and 47 killed, while over 12 others sustained injuries.

The actual number of abductees may be higher, as some reports did not disclose figures.

Several people were abducted when suspected bandits attacked the Omi-Ara community in Yagba West Local Government Area of Kogi State.

In the same council, gunmen also attacked the Odo-Ere community on Sunday night and abducted at least four residents.

On 30 December, women and children travelling from Wanke to Gusau were kidnapped but were later rescued by security forces.

On 27 December, suspected bandits attacked the Adanla community in the Ifelodun LGA of Kwara State and abducted more than eight people.

On 29 December, at least eight people were killed when gunmen carried out coordinated attacks on Kaiwa, Gelawu and Gebbe villages in the Shanga LGA of Kebbi State.

In Zamfara State, 16 women were abducted, two people were killed, and several others were injured when Sabon-Layi village in the Wanke district of Gusau LGA was attacked.

See also  UPDATED: NCAA stops Fuji star K1 de Ultimate from flying for six months

At least seven farmers were reported killed during an attack in Bum community in Jos South LGA of Plateau State.

The traditional ruler of Aafin community, Oba S. Y. Olaonipekun, and one of his sons, who is a National Youth Service Corps member, were abducted in the Ile-Ire district of Ifelodun LGA of Kwara State.

Gunmen also attacked Kunza community in Ashigye village in Lafia LGA of Nasarawa State, killing three people and injuring nine others on 31 December.

On 26 December, bandits kidnapped five travellers along the Ogbe-Egbe Road and injured one other person.

ISWAP also claimed it fired mortars at a Nigerian military camp in Goniri, Yobe State, although the extent of damage was not disclosed.

On Wednesday, a security analyst, Brant Phillips, said ISWAP raided a village, killing 11 “hostile” Christians, destroying a church and over 100 houses and capturing their properties.

This is the first time ISWAP refers to a group of Christians as being “hostile”, following ISCAP using this same wording recently.

A former United States Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, in a post on X, urged Trump to conduct a follow-up strike to increase the pressure on the terrorists.

He said, “Nigeria’s Christians deserve the chance to worship our Lord without fear. If President Trump follows up last week’s strikes against ISIS with a sustained pressure campaign, we’ll see important advances for religious freedom in Nigeria and beyond.”

Boko Haram kills 14 in Adamawa

The Chairman of Hong LGA in Adamawa State, Usman Inuwa, confirmed that Boko Haram killed 14 people in two villages in the local government.

Inuwa, who spoke with Saturday PUNCH on Friday, said Boko Haram invaded two villages, Mubang and Zar, at night, killing 14 people and injuring two others.

“Around 9pm on that day, Boko Haram invaded Mubang and Zar villages, which are close to Sambisa forest. They killed 14 people, shot two people and burnt dozens of houses with foodstuffs.

“These villages are located near Sambisa forest, and there are no other villages in between. It is a vast empty land, so Boko Haram took advantage of the ungoverned spaces to attack and kill innocent people”, he said.

See also  Ex-CDS Musa meets Tinubu as Irabor dismisses B’Haram recruitment claim

Inuwa added that a combined team of military and vigilante in the past guarded the area, repelling Boko Haram attacks.

Bandits on Thursday night also attacked Yankwada, Babanduhu and other villages in Shanono LGA of Kano State, killing one person and carting away cows.

The terrorists, who reportedly stormed the areas on 50 motorcycles, engaged the Nigerian military in a heavy gun battle until about 5am on Friday morning.

The Chairman of Shanono/Bagwai Community Security Forum, Alhaji Yahya Bagobiri, confirmed the incident to Saturday PUNCH, saying that the bandits came on a revenge mission after losing nine of their members last week to the military fire powers.

Bagobiri called on the Federal Government to provide more arms and redeploy more personnel to complement those gallant officers on ground.

When contacted, the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations 3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Capt. Babatunde Zubairu, confirmed the attack via a WhatsApp message.

“All the details are true except that they didn’t kill anyone and there was no rustling of cows,” he said.

Terrorists move to Niger, Kaduna

Meanwhile, a community leader in the state has hinted that terrorists displaced by the U.S. air strikes in Sokoto may be attempting to infiltrate the state  from neighbouring states through multiple routes.

The community leader, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH on condition of anonymity due to security concerns, said intelligence reports indicated that some fleeing fighters were moving into Niger and Kaduna through parts of Katsina and the Zamfara border, while others were transiting from Kebbi towards Kwara and parts of the South-West.

“Yes, there are movements. Terrorists are infiltrating Niger and Kaduna through parts of Katsina and the Zamfara borders. Some from Kebbi are also running towards Kwara and the South-West,” he said.

He noted that the development had heightened tension in rural communities and prompted local armed groups to enforce internal discipline following what he described as minor breaches of existing peace arrangements.

“Two days ago, some bandits met at Ungwan Nachibi, where the Kachalla warned that any member found breaching the peace agreement would have his rifle and motorcycle seized,” he said.

See also  New Year: Governors Vow Tougher Security Measures Against Terrorists

The community leader added that the directive also included driving out unfamiliar persons entering the area without clearance, as a measure to prevent infiltration.

He further disclosed that aerial surveillance had been intensified, with Nigerian Air Force aircraft hovering daily over parts of Birnin-Gwari, Niger State and areas bordering Kebbi to monitor movements.

“As it is now, people are more vigilant and are reporting any suspicious movement capable of breaching peace,” he said, stressing that no Boko Haram or ISWAP attack has been recorded in Kaduna since the airstrikes, describing current actions as preventive.

Suspected bandits on Wednesday evening invaded Adanla community, a suburb of Igbaja in Ifelodun LGA, abducting eight residents and injuring several others.

Community sources told Saturday PUNCH that the attack triggered panic, forcing many residents to flee to neighbouring towns and farms for safety, fearing further assaults.

Village heads and residents confirmed that some families have temporarily abandoned their homes, especially in Aafin and Adanla, as fear spreads across the area.

No attack in Sokoto

Findings by Saturday PUNCH revealed that no attacks were reported in Sokoto States since the US air strikes.

Our correspondent in Skoto gathered that unlike in previous times when reports of attacks on communities are persistent, things have now slowed down somehow.

Confirming the development, Alhaji Abdullah Umara, a resident of Rabbah, one of the villages in which insecurity is persistent said the community has not recorded any attack in recent times.

He said the situation may be connected to the recent airstrike in some part of the state which has now resulted in some of the bandits fleeing their hideouts.

“We have not witnessed any attack here for some time now, I believe it has to do with the recent attack in some of the hideouts of the criminals.

“We learnt that some of them were wiped out while some ran out of their camp. Our prayer is for this peaceful living should continue “ he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Anglican Primate Hails Tinubu’s Economic Plans, Predicts Nigeria’s Rise

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Chimamanda Adichie lawyers write Lagos hospital, doctor suspended
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Ex-CDS Musa meets Tinubu as Irabor dismisses B’Haram recruitment claim

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Minister reveals why FG hasn’t prosecuted terrorism financiers

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending