Connect with us

Lifestyle

Nigerian woman dies in UK hospital, community seeks support

Published

on

A Nigerian woman, Damilola Balogun, who gave birth about five months ago, has been confirmed dead at a hospital in the United Kingdom shortly after undergoing surgery.

A member of the Nigerian community in the UK, identified as @Dhkrullah, announced her death in a post shared on X on Sunday.

PUNCH Metro gathered that a GoFundMe account set up on Saturday by Omowumi Adetifa to support the bereaved family had raised £3,506 out of a £5,500 target from 245 donations as of the time of filing this report.

The fundraising appeal read in part: “It is with heavy hearts that we announce the death of Damilola Balogun on the 1st of January 2026. Damilola was a loving wife, a devoted mother, and the main applicant for her family on a skilled worker visa.

“Just five months ago, she welcomed her beautiful baby into the world. What should have been a time of joy soon turned into a painful and tragic journey no family should endure.”

According to the statement, Damilola initially complained of severe migraines and visited Walsall Manor Hospital, where she was treated and discharged.

“Three days later, she returned with the same symptoms, but no cause was found, and she was sent home again. Two weeks later, the headaches persisted, and this time she was admitted,” it said.

Doctors reportedly administered antibiotics and carried out an MRI scan and a lumbar puncture, which revealed “water on her brain.”

She was then urgently referred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, for surgery.

“The surgery was initially successful, and there was hope,” the appeal stated, before tragedy struck three days later.

See also  Alaafin kicks as Makinde installs Ladoja chairman of Obas council

“Damilola went into a coma and was placed on life support. Despite all medical efforts and prayers, it was confirmed that she could not recover. On the morning of 1st January 2026, the life support machine was switched off.”

“While others were welcoming the first day of a new year in celebration, this family was plunged into unbearable grief,” the statement added.

Damilola, according to the appeal, is survived by her husband, three children aged 11 years, 10 years and five months, as well as her mother and grandmother.

The appeal noted that since the ordeal began, her husband had been unable to work, as he remained by her side throughout her hospital admissions.

“Their savings have been completely exhausted, and the family is now facing funeral costs and the immense responsibility of raising three children without their mother,” it said.

The organisers appealed for support, saying, “No amount is too small. Your donation will help cover funeral and burial expenses, provide immediate support for her children, and ease the financial burden on the grieving family.”

Meanwhile, family members, friends and members of the Nigerian community have continued to pour out tributes and condolences on X.

@OluomoofDerby wrote, “We have to put more pressure on our local GP and speak up whenever our bodies don’t feel right. I attended four funerals last year, and three of them were for men under 40.

“That reality is deeply worrying. We all need to be intentional about our health this year. RIP Damilola. To pass away on the 1st of January is beyond heartbreaking. Our prayers are with your family.”

See also  Kaduna to immortalise late Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, says gov

Another X user, @Enigmalik, said, “They minify your symptoms, ask you to come back if symptoms persist or put you on a six- to 12-month waiting list for scans and further checks. It is ridiculous at times.”

Also reacting, @jhazzy_music wrote, “Condolences to the family. Sad news. I will continue to say this whenever I get the chance: anyone living abroad with a family should get life insurance.

“It is very important for situations like this. Life insurance would have covered these costs and even helped with mortgage payments.”

Balogun’s death adds to a growing number of reported cases involving Nigerians in the UK who have reportedly slumped or died, including during academic and professional programmes.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Rest every four hours, FRSC issues safety guide for fasting motorists

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps, on Friday, urged motorists who are participating in the fasting periods, to ensure that they take rest at intervals, to avoid road crashes.

The FRSC Commander in-charge of the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway corridor, Mr Nasir Mohammed, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ota.

He noted that the advice had become expedient following the commencement of fasting periods by both Christian and Muslim faithfuls.

NAN reports that Catholic faithfuls had commenced lenten season with the distribution of Ash on Wednesday, which period is marked by 40 days fasting.

In the same vein, Muslim faithfuls had also began observation of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, which period is also marked by fasting.

Mohammed urged motorists to be cautious of fatigue and possible dehydration during the fasting periods, and ensure that they take hours of rest before returning to the steering.

He also warned motorists against over speeding and wrongful overtaking, which could lead to tragedy, adding that drivers must strictly adhere to all safety rules while on the road.

“We are appealing to motorists, especially Muslims and Christians who are fasting, to always observe the rest after every four hours of driving, to prevent avoidable loss of lives.

“Also, all motorists are enjoined to drive to stay alive; Wishing all safer roads and fuller life.” he said.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  I Don’t Want To Have Anyone’s Blood On My Hands – Doris Ogala Gives Update On Rift With Chris Okafor
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Alleged rape: Nigerian Tiktoker admitted in Ogun health facility

Published

on

Ogun State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Adijat Adeleye has disclosed that the Nigerian Tiktoker, simply identified as Mirable, has been admitted to a State-owned health facility, and is currently receiving comprehensive medical attention.

Adeleye added that an investigation had begun and the survivor is presently receiving psychosocial support, and is responding positively to medical treatment.

The commissioner stated this on Thursday night shortly after visiting the survivor at the health facility, in the company of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, and the Medical Director of the facility.

According to her, the visit was aimed at assessing the survivor’s condition and ensuring that appropriate medical and welfare interventions were promptly administered.

The Commissioner praised the personnel at the State-owned medical facility and the State Ministry of Justice for their quick response, as well as the Nigeria Police Force and Ogun State Police Command for their rapid and timely action as soon as the case was transferred to the State.

“This structured approach is intended to protect the survivor’s welfare while guaranteeing that investigations are conducted professionally, thoroughly, and strictly on the basis of verifiable evidence”, Adeleye said.

She added that detailed examinations and all required clinical procedures are being carried out in line with established standards for managing cases of alleged sexual assault, while the security agency is carrying out their investigation simultaneously.

“The welfare, dignity, and safety of every survivor remains our utmost priority. The Prince Dapo Abiodun led- administration maintains a zero-tolerance stance on sexual and gender-based violence, stressing that “while we stand firmly with survivors, we are equally guided by due process.

See also  I Don’t Want To Have Anyone’s Blood On My Hands – Doris Ogala Gives Update On Rift With Chris Okafor

“Investigations must be evidence-based, transparent, and fair to all parties involved, even as whosoever is found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” she said.

She urged residents to steer clear of speculative narratives or sensational commentary that could compromise due process while assuring them that the State Government would get to the bottom of the issue to ascertain the veracity of the claim.

Meanwhile, she assured members of the public that further updates would be communicated at the appropriate time as credible findings emerge from ongoing investigations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Rape allegation not true – Mirabel finally opens up

Published

on

Nigerian TikToker, known simply as Mirabel has finally opened up on the allegation of rape she earlier raised in a viral video.

It was recalls that the content creator, with the username @mirab351 had, alleged that she was sexually assaulted by an unknown man at her residence in Ogun State.

She claimed that the alleged rapist inflicted an injury on her privates with a blade.

Her story generated reactions across social media, causing the Nigeria Police to swing into action.

Some netizens, however, expressed scepticism on the factuality of the allegation, stating that the stories were not adding up.

But the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said on Thursday that the command was investigating the matter.

However, Mirabel, who opened up to Popular social media activist, Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan, VDM said she had been into drugs and could be hallucinating.

 

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Statue of Dora Akunyili: A Monument Honoring Nigeria’s Fearless Reformer
Continue Reading

Trending