Connect with us

News

AU extends Nigeria, Cameroon, others joint military action on Insurgency

Published

on

The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council has renewed the mandate of the Multinational Joint Task Force fighting Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Basin for another 12 months.

The MNJTF comprises military personnel from Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Nigeria, and is headquartered in N’Djamena, with a mandate to end the Boko Haram insurgency. Niger was a member until its withdrawal in 2025.

The extension, adopted at the Council’s 1318th meeting held on December 15, 2025 and obtained from the AU website on Monday, stated that the renewed mandate will run from February 1, 2026 to January 31, 2027.

It said, in part,”Requests the AU Commission and the LCBC to renew the Memorandum of Understanding and Support Implementation Agreement that guides the provision of the AU’s additional support to the MNJTF for a period of one year, starting from 1 February 2026 to 31 January 2027; and also requests the AU Commission to maintain institutional collaboration and support in the implementation of the adjusted Regional Strategy for Stabilisation, Recovery and Resilience 2.0.

“Decides to renew the mandate of MNJTF for 12 months, effective from 1 February 2026 to 31 January 2027; and also decides to remain actively seized of the matter.”

The Council endorsed the report of the Chairperson of the AU Commission on the activities of the MNJTF and acknowledged what it described as progress made so far in combating terrorism and violent extremism in the Lake Chad Basin.

It also condemned ongoing terror attacks in the region and paid tribute to MNJTF personnel who have died in the line of duty.

See also  UN decries targeted abductions of students in Nigeria

It said,”Endorses the Report of the Chairperson of the AU Commission on the activities of the MNJTF against the Boko Haram terrorist group; and acknowledges the achievements registered thus far in the fight against terrorism and violent extremism in the LCB region.

“Commends the LCBC and all MNJTF Troop Contributing Countries for their continued sacrifices and commitment to defeat Boko Haram, stabilise the LCB region and restore lasting peace, security and stability; and encourages them to persevere until the terrorist group is completely defeated.

“Welcomes the commencement of planned Operation Lake Sanity III aimed at degrading the activities of Boko Haram in the LCB; in the same context, requests the AU Commission and the international community to continue supporting the MNJTF to enable the Mission to more effectively discharge its mandate, including sustaining and consolidating the milestones registered thus far.

“Strongly condemns all terrorist attacks in the LCB area and warns that those responsible will be held accountable.

“Pays tribute to the MNJTF personnel who have paid the supreme sacrifice in the fight against terrorism; and, in this regard, expresses condolences to the families and governments of the deceased and wishes speedy recovery to all those nursing injuries from the terrorist attacks.”

At the same time, the council noted persistent funding and capability gaps, including shortages of air and amphibious assets, as well as counter-drone and anti-IED equipment. Member states and partners were urged to honour past pledges and provide additional assistance ahead of the new operation.

The AU also requested consideration of UN Security Council Resolution 2719 as a possible funding channel for MNJTF activities and encouraged stronger cross-border intelligence sharing among Lake Chad Basin countries.

See also  Fake agency scandal: Gbajabiamila sues Adeyemi for N15bn

It further highlighted the worsening humanitarian situation in the region, driven by climate change and population displacement, and called for coordinated regional responses.

The council directed the AU Commission and the Lake Chad Basin Commission to renew the support and implementation agreements covering AU assistance to the force for the new mandate period, and said it would remain seized of the matter.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Marketers drop petrol prices below Dangote’s cost

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Marketers drop petrol prices below Dangote’s cost
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Jonathan will be on 2027 ballot, says coalition convener; read details

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending