Connect with us

News

Attack scare: Police deploy officers to top Lagos schools

Published

on

Following threats of attacks on schools in Ikeja by yet-to-be-identified persons, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Olohundare Jimoh, has ordered the deployment of police personnel, on a permanent basis, to the affected Grange School and Greensprings School (Anthony Campus).

The management of the affected schools located in Ikeja had, on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, ordered the temporary closure of the schools after receiving security threats via WhatsApp messages from an unknown number.

Announcing the temporary closure, the Head of Grange School, Richard McMahon, in a letter addressed to parents on Wednesday, said the school would not open on Thursday due to a “security-related concern.”

The letter dated January 21, 2026, read, “Earlier this evening, the school received a security-related concern. While there is no immediate danger, we have chosen to act responsibly by taking the matter seriously and putting all necessary safety measures in place.

“The school will use tomorrow (Thursday) to follow up fully with the appropriate authorities and receive official guidance.

“The safety and well-being of our students, staff, and families remain our highest priority, and this temporary closure allows us to ensure that all protocols are properly observed.”

The school management said it would monitor developments, in conjunction with security agencies, to determine the reopening of the school.

On its part, the authorities of the Anthony Campus of Greensprings School also asked students who turned up for school on Thursday to return home while it assessed the security situation.

An official of the school confirmed that the assessment examinations scheduled for Thursday afternoon were aborted due to the closure directive.

See also  Trump orders US withdrawal from 66 international organisations

The official added that it was uncertain how long the closure of the campus would last before normal academic activities resumed.

It was also gathered that a nearby school, Avi-Cenna International School, Ikeja, was considering a temporary closure.

However, in a statement on Thursday by the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Adebisi, the command said it had neutralised the threat to the schools within Ikeja.

The police declared the schools safe for continued academic and administrative activities after conducting a security sweep of the premises.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Police Command has once again demonstrated its commitment to the protection of lives and property following a swift, intelligence-led response to a security threat directed at some prominent private schools in Ikeja.

“On Tuesday, January 21, 2026, at about 4:00 pm, the Human Resources Manager and the Chief Security Officer of both schools, situated within Ikeja, independently reported at the Ikeja Divisional Headquarters that they received distress WhatsApp messages from the same unknown number.”

The statement also conveyed an order by the Commissioner of Police for the commencement of investigations to “trace, identify, and apprehend the sender(s) of the threat messages with a view to bringing them to justice in accordance with the law.”

It added that “combined teams of police personnel have been strategically deployed permanently to the affected schools to ensure round-the-clock safety of students, staff, and school facilities.”

The police detailed measures taken to address the threat, including the mobilisation of personnel, such as experts from the command’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear unit, the Rapid Response Squad, and other tactical teams, to the school premises for on-the-spot assessment and security reinforcement.

See also  Court bars Pat Utomi from establishing shadow government

“A painstaking and comprehensive sweep of the entire school environment, including classrooms, administrative offices, halls, playgrounds, and surrounding premises, was conducted by the EOD-CBRN experts to rule out the presence of Improvised Explosive Devices or any other dangerous or suspicious materials.

“The operation yielded no explosive or hazardous devices, and the schools were consequently declared safe for continued academic and administrative activities. Combined teams of police personnel have been strategically deployed, on a permanent basis, to the affected schools to ensure round-the-clock safety of students, staff, and school facilities.”

The police, however, urged residents of Lagos State to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities.

“The Lagos State Police Command assures parents, guardians, school authorities, and the general public that the command remains proactive, responsive, and fully committed to maintaining peace, safety, and public order across the state,” the statement further read.

In the same vein, the Association of Private Educators in Nigeria urged schools to heighten security protocols and remain vigilant.

The association, however, said it had received assurances from the state government regarding safety in schools.

The statement read, “APEN has been in contact with Lagos State Government officials responsible for security regarding the safety of our schools. We have been assured that the situation surrounding the threat received by two schools is under control.

“Nevertheless, I recommend that we further strengthen and heighten security protocols across all our schools and remain vigilant.

“We will continue to monitor developments and keep APEN schools up to date with any information.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Electoral Act could cause chaos, don’t sign it, ex-INEC commissioner urges Tinubu

Published

on

A former Independent National Electoral Commission’s Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mike Igini, has called on President Bola Tinubu to withhold assent on the recently passed Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, describing it as “a recipe for chaos” that could undermine Nigeria’s democracy.

Igini made the call on Wednesday during an interview on Arise Television following the Senate’s passage of the bill, which included contentious provisions under Clause 60 on electronic transmission of results.

“It is indeed my humble recommendation to Mr President that you are a man of history. You were a senior man to very many of us in the struggle at the time when the journey of Nigeria and the prospect of democracy was less certain,” he said.

He further reminded the president of the 2015 struggle to ensure elections reflect the people’s will.

“And also remember that, at a time when the PDP was in office and when we were in office, and they were saying that there was going to be a federal might, some of us stood out to say no.

“In 2015, it’s going to be the might of people, not federal might, but the might of the people through the ballot that should determine what will happen.

“You should be a man of history, what is put before you take it back, don’t sign it,” Igini said.

The Senate had on Tuesday passed the Electoral Act 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 after tense deliberations.

The session saw opposition from Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, who demanded a division on Clause 60(3), proposing that manual forms should not serve as a fallback if electronic transmission fails. After a vote, 55 senators supported the proviso while 15 opposed it.

See also  Death toll rises to 40 as Vietnam battles record floods

Turning to the judiciary, Igini warned that courts have historically failed to protect voters and uphold democracy.

“The greatest option that we have is the judiciary that must stand tall and mighty in defence of democracy and the rule of law. Were it not for the judiciary, we would not be where we are today,” he said.

He also stressed past failures, saying, “I have all the records of failures. When it comes to elections, the judiciary has not done well. In fact, the Nigerian people now see my constituency as a veritable conspiracy against them because they have never given effect to it.”

Igini also criticised the Senate’s handling of the bill, citing the reversal of Clause 60 provisions that originally mandated real-time electronic transmission of polling unit results.

“Look at what has happened…Today, no primary in Nigeria because Supreme Court struck down the party direction that was issued in line with Section 29 of the Act,” he said.

Igini had earlier warned in a Sunday statement that many National Assembly members risk losing their seats if mandatory real-time electronic transmission is not guaranteed.

He stressed that for democracy to thrive, the judiciary must enforce due process and protect voters’ rights: “The way forward is for the judiciary to stand tall and mighty in defence of due process because what we are seeing now is not what is expected.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Data privacy issues threaten Nigeria’s financial inclusion

Published

on

Growing concerns over data privacy and security are emerging as a significant barrier to Nigeria’s financial inclusion drive, despite years of investment in connectivity and digital infrastructure.

While policymakers and industry stakeholders have long focused on expanding broadband access, mobile penetration, and fintech innovation, experts now argue that trust — particularly around how personal data is collected, stored, and used — may determine whether millions of Nigerians join the formal financial system.

In 2012, the Central Bank of Nigeria set a target to reduce the country’s adult financial exclusion rate to 20 per cent by 2020 under its National Financial Inclusion Strategy. However, the exclusion rate stood at 36 per cent in 2020, according to the regulator’s 2022 report, underscoring persistent gaps in access and adoption.

Industry leaders say the challenge is no longer primarily about infrastructure.

“Increasing connectivity is essential, but it is only a prerequisite,” the Chief Commercial Officer at Optasia, Uchenna Agbo, said. “True inclusion requires meaningful participation, and that depends on trust.”

Across major commercial hubs such as Balogun Market, traders who rely heavily on cash transactions often remain hesitant to adopt digital financial services. Although many own mobile phones and are aware of mobile money platforms, concerns about fraud, account hacking, and misuse of personal information continue to discourage uptake.

Stories of compromised accounts and data leaks have circulated widely, reinforcing fears among small business owners that using digital systems could expose sensitive personal and financial information.

For many low-income earners, privacy risks are seen not as abstract regulatory issues but as threats to livelihoods.

See also  Naira, stocks drop after Trump’s military threat

The issue has gained renewed prominence following the enactment of the Nigeria Data Protection Act and the establishment of the Nigeria Data Protection Commission, which is tasked with enforcing data protection standards and promoting responsible data practices across sectors.

Analysts say regulatory frameworks are necessary but insufficient on their own. They argue that financial service providers must move beyond compliance and embed privacy protections into the design of products and services, a model often referred to as “privacy-by-design”.

“Data privacy should not be treated as a compliance obligation or a technical feature added at the end of development,” Agbo said. “It must be seen as core infrastructure, as fundamental as the networks and platforms that deliver the services.”

Optasia, which operates in 38 countries and serves more than 120 million monthly active users globally, says lessons from other markets show that trust directly influences digital adoption rates, particularly among underbanked populations.

Consumer advocates note that for low-income users, the consequences of privacy breaches can be severe. Misuse of biometric data, unauthorised sharing of financial histories, or predatory lending practices enabled by data analytics can undermine confidence and deter participation in formal systems.

Continue Reading

News

Gombe gov unveils major projects, new LCDA secretariats

Published

on

Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya, on Tuesday, hosted his Yobe State counterpart, Mai Mala Buni, and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Political and Other Matters, Ibrahim Masari, for the inauguration of major projects and the groundbreaking of new Local Council Development Areas secretariats.

Among the projects inaugurated were the new Nafada Local Government Secretariat, the Nafada four-span bridge, and a mega non-formal learning centre (Tsangaya School), all described as strategic interventions aimed at boosting governance and socio-economic development in Nafada and adjoining communities.

The new secretariat replaces a dilapidated structure that had long hindered effective service delivery, while the four-span bridge resolves years of seasonal inaccessibility that cut off communities during the rainy season.

The Tsangaya School is designed to integrate Almajiri children into a structured and supportive learning system.

Masari, on his part, inaugurated the 7.5-kilometre Kwanan Rugaji–Almakashi Road, with a spur to Gargaldu, linking Funakaye Local Government Area of Gombe State to neighbouring communities in Yobe State. The road is expected to ease transportation challenges and stimulate economic activities in the area.

He also inaugurated a 66-shop ultra-modern commercial complex in Bajoga, named after the late Emir Muhammadu Kwairanga, to enhance commerce and provide a conducive business environment for traders.

At the foundation-laying ceremonies for the Funakaye South LCDA in Tongo and the Nafada South LCDA in Birin Fulani, Yahaya said the creation of 13 LCDAs was a deliberate move to deepen grassroots governance.

“Today marks another significant milestone in our journey to deepen democracy and accelerate development at the grassroots.

See also  Video - Nigerian Soldier Laments: "We Risk Our Lives Daily, Yet No Reward!" | Govt Rewards WAFCON Players with Millions

“The foundation laying for Funakaye South LCDA and Nafada South LCDA is a direct outcome of our administration’s decision to create 13 Local Council Development Areas.

“These LCDAs are designed to institutionalise meaningful development and bring governance closer to our people. Our vision is clear: in due course, they will metamorphose into full-fledged local government areas as we strengthen their structures and capacities,” the governor stated.

He disclosed that subsequent local council elections would be conducted simultaneously with the LCDAs to enhance their democratic legitimacy.

Yahaya said the state drew inspiration from the success of development areas in Lagos State, commending President Bola Tinubu for pioneering the model during his tenure as governor.

“That visionary step has continued to yield dividends, and we are confident Gombe State will record even greater success with this initiative,” he stated.

In his remarks, Buni commended Yahaya for what he described as bold and strategic initiatives to strengthen local governance.

He urged residents to continue supporting the administration and called for sustained prayers for peace and development across Gombe, Northern Nigeria and the country at large.

Speaking during the road inauguration, Masari applauded the state government for aligning its development blueprint with the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Agenda, describing the projects as evidence of prudent resource management and responsible leadership.

Earlier, the Director-General of the Gombe State Joint Project Development Agency, Mahmood Yusuf, gave an overview of the projects being jointly executed by the state and local governments, assuring quality delivery and timely completion.

During the visit, the governor and his guests paid homage to the Emir of Funakaye and the Emir of Nafada, both of whom commended the administration’s developmental strides and pledged continued support.

See also  Tinubu appoints Olumode as new Controller-General of Fire Service

At the Funakaye Emirate, Buni was conferred with the traditional title of “Dikuman Funakaye,” while Masari received the title “Dan Saran Funakaye.”

Similarly, the Emir of Nafada honoured Buni and Masari with the titles of “Muqaddas” and “Dan Sarari of Nafada,” respectively.

Continue Reading

Trending