Connect with us

Crime

PHOTOS: Court sentences Italy-based Nigerian man to 15 years imprisonment for trafficking 1.30kg of tramadol

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, has sentenced a serial drug trafficker, Solomon Adegbite, to 15 years’ imprisonment without an option of a fine for trafficking 1.30 kilogrammes of Tramadol 225 mg, a prohibited narcotic substance.

According to the first count of the charge, Adegbite was arrested on July 22, 2025, during the outward clearance of passengers on a Royal Air Maroc flight bound for Italy via Casablanca, Morocco, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos.

The NDLEA alleged that he knowingly possessed 1.30kg of Tramadol 225mg, which he concealed inside a thick winter jacket he was wearing in an attempt to evade airport security screening.

Adegbite has been arrested three time for drug-related offences, including in 2024.

The court, presided over by Justice Musa Kakaki, delivered the sentence on Wednesday after convicting Adegbite on a 15-count charge filed against him by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

Adegbite, a 41-year-old Nigerian resident in Italy, was convicted after he pleaded guilty to the charges.

The NDLEA, through its prosecutor, Juliana Imaobong Iroabuchi, had earlier arraigned the defendant before the court in February 2026, following his arrest over the illicit drug consignment.

He was subsequently remanded in the custody of the Nigerian Correctional Service pending the review of facts.

Although the matter suffered delays on two occasions after the prosecution informed the court that the exhibits intended to be tendered were not ready, the case eventually proceeded on March 16, 2026.

At the resumed hearing, an NDLEA operative, Okey Emmanuel, reviewed the facts of the case and tendered relevant exhibits before the court.

See also  Police rescue five abducted children in Adamawa

Following the review, the prosecutor urged the court to convict the defendant based on his guilty plea and the evidence presented.

Justice Kakaki thereafter convicted Adegbite, with no objection raised by his counsel, Augustine Nwagu, and adjourned the matter to March 18, 2026, for sentencing.

At the sentencing hearing, defence counsel Augustine Nwagu pleaded for leniency on behalf of the convict, describing him as a young man with several dependants who rely on him for support.

He told the court that Adegbite was remorseful and had learned from his actions, urging the judge to temper justice with mercy and grant him an option of fine.

However, the NDLEA prosecutor strongly opposed the plea.

Iroabuchi argued that granting an option of fine would send the wrong message to society, especially given the devastating impact of hard drugs on victims and communities.

She further told the court that Adegbite was an unrepentant repeat offender, noting that this was allegedly the third time he had been arrested for drug-related offences.

The prosecutor also urged the court to consider the commercial quantity of the seized narcotic.

After listening to both parties, Justice Kakaki sentenced Adegbite to prison terms across 13 of the 15 counts, with the sentences to run as pronounced by the court.

Specifically, the judge sentenced Adegbite to 15 years’ imprisonment on count 1, 15 years’ imprisonment on count 2, 15 years’ imprisonment on count 3, 15 years’ imprisonment on count 4, 15 years’ imprisonment on count 5, 15 years’ imprisonment on count 6, 10 years’ imprisonment on count 7, 4 years’ imprisonment on count 8, 4 years’ imprisonment on count 9, 4 years’ imprisonment on count 10, 4 years’ imprisonment on count 11, 4 years’ imprisonment on count 12, and 10 years’ imprisonment on count 15.

See also  Police caution intending travellers against visa scams

In addition to the prison sentence, the court ordered the forfeiture of several items to the Federal Government of Nigeria, including Adegbite’s Italian residence permit, his Nigerian international passport, a Samsung Galaxy A22 mobile phone, his bank accounts linked to Aderevico Pharmacy, and other assets associated with the pharmacy business.

The anti-narcotics agency further alleged that the defendant attempted to manipulate his travel documents during his third arrest by exchanging his valid Italian residence permit with an expired one.

The offence is punishable under Sections 11(d) and 20(a)(c) of the NDLEA Act, Cap N30, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has arrested 10 suspected human parts sellers.

The suspects were arrested in the Iseyin and Saki areas of the state.

Public Relations Officer of the command, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The statement said the exhibits have been secured for forensic examination and further investigation.

The suspects were identified as Adam Ibrahim, Nasiru Kabiru, Tijani Wasiu, Abiola Nasiru, Amusa Gbadamosi, Raheem Taofeek, Jimoh Muritala, Suleiman Busari, Ganiyu Nurudeen and Usman Abdullahi.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Police caution intending travellers against visa scams
Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Kebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qur’an after burying it in pit with s€men to make woman more submissive to her husband

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.

The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.

According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.

The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.

“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.

“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.

“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.

See also  Suspected bandits nabbed near Akure airport

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Gunmen abduct 14 passengers in Benue

Published

on

Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.

A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.

“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.

According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.

Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.

“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read

“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”

The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.

See also  Police arrest 27-year-old drug trafficker in Katsina

He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.

According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.

He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending