Connect with us

News

Meet the three SANs vying to become NBA president July 18

Published

on

Three Senior Advocates of Nigeria are set to battle for the presidency of the Nigerian Bar Association as lawyers across the country prepare to elect new national officers on July 18.

The presidential race pits Olumuyiwa AkinboroLateef Akangbe and Oyinkansola Badejo-Okunsanya against one another in an election expected to produce the successor to incumbent NBA President, Afam Osigwe.

The three SANs emerged as the only cleared candidates for the association’s top office after the Electoral Committee of the NBA published the final list of qualified candidates.

The election comes amid controversy over alleged attempts to postpone the exercise after a purported report linked to a mediation meeting convened by the Attorney General of the Federation recommended the suspension of the polls, dissolution of the Electoral Committee of the NBA and other electoral reforms.

However, the NBA and the Electoral Committee have rejected the purported recommendations, insisting that only the association’s National Executive Council can postpone the election and maintaining that voting will proceed on July 18.

Speaking during an interview on Wednesday, Osigwe also distanced himself from the contest, saying he had no preferred candidate despite all three aspirants seeking his support.

“I have absolutely nothing to do with the electoral process. So, whether I have favourite or not, it is immaterial. The three persons running for office each approached me to support them, but I’m not supporting any person,” he said.

Olumuyiwa Akinboro, SAN…Photo Credit: X / Aare Olumuyiwa Akinboro

Aare Olumuyiwa Akinboro

Akinboro, a Life Bencher and principal partner of Akinboro & Co., was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1991 after obtaining his law degree from Lagos State University.

See also  Fire guts shops in three-storey building in Anambra

He previously served as General Secretary of the NBA between 2010 and 2012 and also held office as Secretary and Chairman of the NBA Abuja Branch. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK), a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Consultants and a Harvard-trained negotiator.

His campaign centres on rebuilding and repositioning the NBA through improved welfare, mentorship, inclusion, institutional reforms and the protection of the rule of law.

While announcing his decision to boycott the official presidential debate, Akinboro described the election as one that would shape the future of the legal profession.

“This election is about the soul of our profession and the future we are building together. I remain steadfast in my vision for a Bar that is member-centred, welfare-driven, and truly inclusive. I am still here, I am still listening, and I am still fighting for the Bar we all deserve,” he said.

Lateef Akangbe, SAN…Photo Credit: X / Lateef Omoyemi Akangbe

Lateef Omoyemi Akangbe

Akangbe is the Managing Partner and Head of Dispute Resolution at Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe & Belgore. He was called to the Nigerian Bar in 2003 after earning degrees from the University of Wolverhampton, the University of Westminster and the University of South Wales.

A former Chairman of the NBA Lagos Branch, he also served as Chairman of the NBA Finance Committee and is a member of the Body of Benchers.

His campaign is anchored on a five-point reform agenda tagged I-DARE, focusing on institutional reforms, digital transformation, improved remuneration, judicial independence and lawyers’ welfare.

Among his proposals are the implementation of long-standing reform reports on the NBA Secretariat, a unified digital platform known as NBA One, enforcement of the Legal Practitioners Remuneration Order, improved life insurance for lawyers and free access to legal research materials for young lawyers.

See also  Alleged terror financing: Malami faces long detention as DSS intensifies investigation

Explaining his vision, Akangbe said, “The LOA programme for the NBA 2026 to 2028 is structured around five interconnected pillars, organised under the acronym I-DARE… This is I-DARE. Five pillars. Specific commitments. Delivery timelines. Measurable outcomes. Not a theme. A programme.”

He has also protested the rescheduling of the election date and criticised the debate format, arguing that lawyers deserve a more robust engagement among candidates.

Oyinkansola Badejo-Okunsanya, SAN…Photo Credit: X/ Mrs Bbold

Oyinkansola Badejo-Okunsanya

Badejo-Okunsanya, the only female candidate in the race, was elevated to the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2025.

She studied English and Law at the University of Lagos before being called to the Bar in 2002.

She is a Partner and Co-Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution at ALP NG & Co., specialising in commercial litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. She also serves on the Board of the Lagos Court of Arbitration.

Her service within the NBA includes roles as Assistant Secretary of the NBA Lagos Branch, Co-opted Member of the National Executive Council and Chair of the 2024 Annual General Conference Planning Committee.

Campaigning under the slogan, “A Bolder Bar That Works for Everyone,” she has pledged to build a service-driven association centred on lawyers’ welfare, stronger branches, professional development and accountability.

“The Nigerian Bar Association exists to serve its members. Every policy, every programme, and every decision must be guided by one question: How does this improve the lives and careers of lawyers?

“I want to serve you. Together, we can build a BOLD Bar anchored on service, accountability, inclusion, and results. A Bar that works. A Bar that serves. A Bar for all,” she said.

The association maintained that it is an independent professional body not subject to the control of the Federal Government and declared that the July 18 election would proceed as scheduled under the supervision of the Electoral Committee of the NBA.

See also  Low turnout, tight security as Kwara church holds Sunday service

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings

Published

on

Britain, Canada and Australia on Friday condemned as “shameful” Israel’s decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees — three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian and a Palestinian — died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel’s military called the incident a “tragic mistake.”

“In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account,” the three nations said in a joint statement.

“The announcement by the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful,” it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

“Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious,” the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no “reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct.”

“Israel extends its condolences to the families of the seven World Central Kitchen aid workers… who tragically lost their lives under deeply regrettable circumstances,” Israel’s foreign ministry posted on X on Friday.

It said the decision not to launch a criminal probe “was made by Israel’s independent military prosecution authorities on the basis of strict professional and legal considerations.”

See also  Russia says any foreign forces in Ukraine would be ‘legitimate targets’, after UK and France pledge troops

“We remain committed to the safety of humanitarian personnel, compliance with international humanitarian law and preventing such tragedies from recurring,” it added.

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision not to launch a criminal investigation, calling it “inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive.”

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes “because the IDF cannot credibly investigate its own conduct.”

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel’s ambassador to the country.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

Published

on

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has asked a US court for permission to submit a confidential declaration explaining why it is withholding some records relating to allegations linking President Bola Tinubu to a drug-trafficking investigation.

The FBI made the request in an application dated August 20 before the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, saying it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding certain information.

An ex parte, in camera declaration is a submission made privately to a judge for consideration without being placed on the public record.

The application was published on X on Thursday by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based lobbying firm recently hired by former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

The FBI said it had invoked various exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act in response to requests for records relating to Tinubu from 1992 to 1993.

According to the agency, releasing the withheld information “would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual”.

Part of the FBI’s application reads: “One of the requests at issue is the request assigned Request Number 1588244-000, which sought “[t]he entire FBI file for Bola Ahmed Tinubu, DOB 3/29/1952, President-Elect of Nigeria as of February 2023”.

“Plaintiff submitted a second FOIA request to the FBI seeking “FBI 302 interviews with Bola Tinubu from FBI Case No. 245-IP-71386-UUUUUU during the timeframe 1992-1993”.

“This was assigned Request Number 1593615-000. The FBI has invoked various Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Exemptions, including 6, 7(C), 7(D), 7(E) and 7(F) regarding these requests, and determined the information withheld from Plaintiff in this case, if disclosed, would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual.

See also  Mass movement: Peter Obi, Kwankwaso exit rocks ADC, 18 lawmakers join NDC

“The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”

The FBI said that if the court granted its request, it would submit the confidential declaration explaining the reasons for withholding the information before August 28.

The plaintiff in the case is Aaron Greenspan, an American businessman and founder of PlainSite.

The development came after the US Department of Justice sought an additional 10-day extension to respond to a court order concerning the release of records linked to allegations involving Tinubu.

However, Judge Beryl Howell granted only four additional days, moving the deadline to August 21.

 

 

Tinubu, through his legal team, subsequently joined the DOJ’s request for an additional 10-day extension. Howell, however, declined the request.

Between 2022 and 2023, Greenspan filed 12 Freedom of Information Act requests with six US federal agencies, seeking records from investigations into a Chicago heroin ring that operated in the early 1990s.

He sought records concerning four individuals whom he said were linked to the drug ring, including Tinubu, Lee Andrew Edwards, Mueez Adegboyega Akande and Abiodun Agbele.

Five of the agencies responded that they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of the requested records.

Dissatisfied with the responses, Greenspan approached the Department of Justice’s Office of Information Policy.

The OIP upheld the agencies’ refusal to confirm or deny the existence of the requested records, according to court documents.

See also  Christian genocide: PFN, Islamic council in verbal crossfire

On June 12, 2023, Greenspan filed a lawsuit challenging the agencies’ use of what is known as a Glomar response to his FOIA requests.

A Glomar response is an official refusal by a US government agency to confirm or deny whether requested records exist.

The FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service, Executive Office for United States Attorneys and Department of State were initially named as defendants.

The Central Intelligence Agency was later added as a defendant in the first amended complaint.

In April 2025, Howell ruled that the responses issued by the FBI and DEA were “improper and must be lifted”.

The judge held that the two agencies had failed to establish a sufficient privacy interest to justify keeping secret the fact that Tinubu was a subject of a criminal investigation.

Howell also held that the FBI and DEA had failed to provide enough evidence to justify maintaining their Glomar responses.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Over 46 bodies recovered in Sokoto boat accident

Published

on

At least 46 bodies have so far been recovered following a boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, the state Police Command has confirmed.

The accident occurred on Thursday when a boat carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, reportedly capsized in the community.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said 46 corpses had been recovered while 15 passengers were rescued alive.

Rufai said rescue operations were still ongoing, with security agencies and emergency responders searching for the remaining 16 passengers.

According to him, the rescue team comprises local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the Police.

He said, “46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons.”

The police spokesman added that “77 persons were on board the boat at the time of the incident.”

The development has thrown Gorau community into mourning, with families anxiously waiting for information about their loved ones.

The latest incident occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Earlier, a resident of Gorau who spoke on condition of anonymity said the accident occurred Thursday morning, although the casualty figure was initially difficult to establish.

The resident said, “Only a few people were initially reported rescued, while several bodies were recovered from the water. Rescue efforts are ongoing as local divers and emergency responders continue searching for those still missing.”

See also  Nigerian borders now better protected – Interior minister

The resident appealed to the authorities to intensify the rescue operation, saying many families were still waiting anxiously for news of their relatives.

Meanwhile, a senior NEMA official who identified himself simply as Alhaji Ibrahim told our correspondent that the agency had mobilised personnel to the community.

He said, “Our officials are currently on their way to the community to join the rescue operation.”

The cause of the accident was not immediately known, while rescue operations continued as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, has expressed deep sorrow over the boat accident in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area.

Reacting to the tragedy in a statement issued by his Media Aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya described the incident as a “devastating tragedy,” particularly as some of the passengers were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15 travelling with farmers and labourers.

He said, “I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing.”

The ADC candidate commended local divers and residents participating in the rescue operation, while urging the Sokoto State Government and relevant emergency agencies to immediately deploy additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment to the affected community.

Dan’iya also called for proper identification and documentation of victims to enable their families to receive appropriate assistance.

He said the incident had exposed the urgent need to provide safer means of transportation for farming communities located around waterways.

See also  PFIPC scandal: Ex-SGF Babachir Lawal suspects ‘big racket’ behind ‘fake’ agency’s budget code

“This tragedy highlights the urgent need for safer means of transportation for our farming communities. No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.

Dan’iya called for a comprehensive assessment of waterways in the state, provision of properly regulated boats and life jackets, training of boat operators, emergency response equipment and the construction of bridges or alternative crossings where necessary.

According to him, “The safety and welfare of rural communities must remain a fundamental responsibility of government, especially when citizens are travelling to their farms to produce food and sustain their families.”

He further pledged that an ADC administration in Sokoto would prioritise rural infrastructure, agricultural development and community safety.

Dan’iya extended his condolences to the families of the deceased, the Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government and the people of Sokoto State.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of the victims and urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with emergency responders as the search and rescue operation continues.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending