Connect with us

News

Why I blocked terrorists when my wife was abducted – Oyo principal’s husband

Published

on

The husband of Rachael Alamu, the Oyo State school principal who recently regained her freedom after spending more than 50 days in captivity, has revealed that he eventually blocked the kidnappers’ phone numbers during negotiations because their repeated threats were taking a serious toll on his health.

Professor Wole Alamu made the disclosure while giving a testimony during a thanksgiving service following his wife’s release, recounting how constant communication with the abductors left him emotionally drained, physically destabilised and battling high blood pressure.

The husband of Mrs Rachael Alamu, principal of Ahoro Esinle School in Oyo State. Photo credit: Oyo Matters

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that Mrs Alamu, the principal of Ahoro Esinle School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, was among pupils and teachers abducted by gunmen on May 15, 2026.

The victims spent more than 50 days in captivity before regaining their freedom after a rescue operation announced by the Federal Government.

During the emotional testimony, Professor Alamu described the experience as the greatest challenge his family had ever faced, saying the kidnapping disrupted what had been a quiet family life centred on academics, work and Christian service.

“I want to say to my family, we are a very quiet family. We just come to work for God and we go home. We do not make noise.

“I am very sure if you search my name on Google, before now, what you would mostly see was academics.”

He admitted that his wife’s abduction came as a personal embarrassment.

“My wife’s abduction was an embarrassment to me,” he said.

Despite the painful experience, the professor expressed gratitude for what he described as the swift response of security agencies immediately after the incident.

See also  Israel To Support Persecuted Christians In Nigeria – Netanyahu

“They abducted my wife and other people. I got to Osiele.

“I would like to say that within 45 minutes, the General Officer Commanding of the 2nd Mechanised Division was already there. The Commissioner of Police was already there before me. Two helicopters were already combing the forest one hour before I got there.

“It can only be God, and it is an answered prayer from my pastor and every member of this association.”

He urged Christians to remain steadfast in their faith, saying difficult situations often expose a person’s spiritual foundation.

“We are all needy people. We should always abide in the presence of the Lord.”

Addressing men during the service, Professor Alamu admitted that the experience humbled him despite initially believing he could withstand the emotional pressure.

“We the men, I know we are strong-hearted and stubborn. Big boys don’t cry. Big boys can become small boys.

“The night they abducted them, I went to meet Reverend and told him, ‘I will be strong.’

“I thought I was strong because that night was the longest night I ever lived.”

According to him, the ordeal taught him the importance of living a righteous Christian life before adversity strikes.

“If you don’t live right and this challenge faces you, the devil will come and tell you, ‘See yourself now.’

“The Bible says the devil is the accuser of the brethren. I saw it graphically.”

Professor Alamu disclosed that he communicated directly with the kidnappers for about three weeks before deciding to cut off all contact because of the effect the conversations were having on his health.

See also  Niger Delta militancy made Jonathan’s presidency possible – Ateke Tom

“When my wife was abducted, I was chatting with the abductors for the first three weeks.

“I was threatened and immediately they threatened me, I was always destabilised.

“There was a day I went for a medical check-up. They sent me a text message and I became destabilised. By the time I got to the clinic, I could not even do the check-up because my blood pressure had already increased.”

He said he eventually concluded that continuing communication with the kidnappers was putting his own life at risk.

“That day I decided I would block these people.

“You cannot kill me here and kill her there. Choose one. If you want to take her, she is going to be with Christ.

“You cannot kill the two of us at the same time.”

Professor Alamu said the kidnappers later confronted his wife after discovering they had been blocked.

“They went to her and said, ‘Madam, your husband has blocked us. We are going to kill you.’

“She replied, ‘You will not kill me in Jesus’ name.’”

He further revealed that the kidnappers allegedly left a cutlass beside her, apparently expecting her to take her own life.

“They left one cutlass beside the Madam Principal.

“When they came back, they were blaming one another, saying, ‘You left a cutlass beside the Madam Principal so she could kill herself.’

“My wife replied immediately, ‘I will not kill myself and you too will not kill me.’

“I thank God for that boldness. She spoke positively.”

According to the professor, the incident drew support from individuals and organisations across Nigeria and abroad.

He said he received calls from places including California and Los Angeles in the United States, while some international organisations reached out with offers to assist.

See also  Any police officer escorting VIP is on illegal duty and will be arrested- Force Spokesman

“I got some numbers calling me, especially from California and Los Angeles in the U.S.

“One of them sent me a proposal of about six pages.

“There were NGOs that God used to assist me. Some said they wanted to take over negotiations but later said they would have to deal directly with the government.”

Reflecting on the experience, Professor Alamu urged Christians not to treat their faith casually, saying trials often reveal the true depth of one’s relationship with God.

“If you want to be a Christian, please be a Christian.

“If you don’t want to be, it is better you go out so that when challenges come, you are on your own and people won’t be praying in vain.”

He also recalled how people from different religious backgrounds rallied around him during the crisis.

“The first set of people that visited me were the Muslim community of Oyo State.

“The second set of people that visited me were the Muslim community in LAUTECH,” he said.

Quoting Psalm 126, Professor Alamu said the family’s sorrow had been turned into joy, adding that although the kidnapping remains the greatest trial he has faced since giving his life to Christ in 1990, it has strengthened his faith in God’s power.

“The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Israel To Support Persecuted Christians In Nigeria – Netanyahu

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ivory Coast opposition party calls for rally against election violence
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Ivory Coast opposition party calls for rally against election violence

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending