Connect with us

News

Over 46 bodies recovered in Sokoto boat accident

Published

on

At least 46 bodies have so far been recovered following a boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, the state Police Command has confirmed.

The accident occurred on Thursday when a boat carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, reportedly capsized in the community.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said 46 corpses had been recovered while 15 passengers were rescued alive.

Rufai said rescue operations were still ongoing, with security agencies and emergency responders searching for the remaining 16 passengers.

According to him, the rescue team comprises local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the Police.

He said, “46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons.”

The police spokesman added that “77 persons were on board the boat at the time of the incident.”

The development has thrown Gorau community into mourning, with families anxiously waiting for information about their loved ones.

The latest incident occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Earlier, a resident of Gorau who spoke on condition of anonymity said the accident occurred Thursday morning, although the casualty figure was initially difficult to establish.

The resident said, “Only a few people were initially reported rescued, while several bodies were recovered from the water. Rescue efforts are ongoing as local divers and emergency responders continue searching for those still missing.”

See also  Ogun bondsmen scheme frees over 8,000 defendants, reduces prison crowding

The resident appealed to the authorities to intensify the rescue operation, saying many families were still waiting anxiously for news of their relatives.

Meanwhile, a senior NEMA official who identified himself simply as Alhaji Ibrahim told our correspondent that the agency had mobilised personnel to the community.

He said, “Our officials are currently on their way to the community to join the rescue operation.”

The cause of the accident was not immediately known, while rescue operations continued as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, has expressed deep sorrow over the boat accident in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area.

Reacting to the tragedy in a statement issued by his Media Aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya described the incident as a “devastating tragedy,” particularly as some of the passengers were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15 travelling with farmers and labourers.

He said, “I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing.”

The ADC candidate commended local divers and residents participating in the rescue operation, while urging the Sokoto State Government and relevant emergency agencies to immediately deploy additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment to the affected community.

Dan’iya also called for proper identification and documentation of victims to enable their families to receive appropriate assistance.

He said the incident had exposed the urgent need to provide safer means of transportation for farming communities located around waterways.

See also  Nigerian Injured In Qatar Gas Explosion – FG Confirms

“This tragedy highlights the urgent need for safer means of transportation for our farming communities. No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.

Dan’iya called for a comprehensive assessment of waterways in the state, provision of properly regulated boats and life jackets, training of boat operators, emergency response equipment and the construction of bridges or alternative crossings where necessary.

According to him, “The safety and welfare of rural communities must remain a fundamental responsibility of government, especially when citizens are travelling to their farms to produce food and sustain their families.”

He further pledged that an ADC administration in Sokoto would prioritise rural infrastructure, agricultural development and community safety.

Dan’iya extended his condolences to the families of the deceased, the Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government and the people of Sokoto State.

He prayed for the repose of the souls of the victims and urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with emergency responders as the search and rescue operation continues.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FBI asks US court to keep records on Tinubu drug trafficking probe secret

Published

on

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has asked a US court for permission to submit a confidential declaration explaining why it is withholding some records relating to allegations linking President Bola Tinubu to a drug-trafficking investigation.

The FBI made the request in an application dated August 20 before the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, saying it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding certain information.

An ex parte, in camera declaration is a submission made privately to a judge for consideration without being placed on the public record.

The application was published on X on Thursday by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based lobbying firm recently hired by former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

The FBI said it had invoked various exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act in response to requests for records relating to Tinubu from 1992 to 1993.

According to the agency, releasing the withheld information “would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual”.

Part of the FBI’s application reads: “One of the requests at issue is the request assigned Request Number 1588244-000, which sought “[t]he entire FBI file for Bola Ahmed Tinubu, DOB 3/29/1952, President-Elect of Nigeria as of February 2023”.

“Plaintiff submitted a second FOIA request to the FBI seeking “FBI 302 interviews with Bola Tinubu from FBI Case No. 245-IP-71386-UUUUUU during the timeframe 1992-1993”.

“This was assigned Request Number 1593615-000. The FBI has invoked various Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Exemptions, including 6, 7(C), 7(D), 7(E) and 7(F) regarding these requests, and determined the information withheld from Plaintiff in this case, if disclosed, would, among other things, disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations and/or could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual.

See also  Tinubu, US AFRICOM chief hold security talks in Abuja

“The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”

The FBI said that if the court granted its request, it would submit the confidential declaration explaining the reasons for withholding the information before August 28.

The plaintiff in the case is Aaron Greenspan, an American businessman and founder of PlainSite.

The development came after the US Department of Justice sought an additional 10-day extension to respond to a court order concerning the release of records linked to allegations involving Tinubu.

However, Judge Beryl Howell granted only four additional days, moving the deadline to August 21.

 

 

Tinubu, through his legal team, subsequently joined the DOJ’s request for an additional 10-day extension. Howell, however, declined the request.

Between 2022 and 2023, Greenspan filed 12 Freedom of Information Act requests with six US federal agencies, seeking records from investigations into a Chicago heroin ring that operated in the early 1990s.

He sought records concerning four individuals whom he said were linked to the drug ring, including Tinubu, Lee Andrew Edwards, Mueez Adegboyega Akande and Abiodun Agbele.

Five of the agencies responded that they could neither confirm nor deny the existence of the requested records.

Dissatisfied with the responses, Greenspan approached the Department of Justice’s Office of Information Policy.

The OIP upheld the agencies’ refusal to confirm or deny the existence of the requested records, according to court documents.

See also  Nigerian Injured In Qatar Gas Explosion – FG Confirms

On June 12, 2023, Greenspan filed a lawsuit challenging the agencies’ use of what is known as a Glomar response to his FOIA requests.

A Glomar response is an official refusal by a US government agency to confirm or deny whether requested records exist.

The FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service, Executive Office for United States Attorneys and Department of State were initially named as defendants.

The Central Intelligence Agency was later added as a defendant in the first amended complaint.

In April 2025, Howell ruled that the responses issued by the FBI and DEA were “improper and must be lifted”.

The judge held that the two agencies had failed to establish a sufficient privacy interest to justify keeping secret the fact that Tinubu was a subject of a criminal investigation.

Howell also held that the FBI and DEA had failed to provide enough evidence to justify maintaining their Glomar responses.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Ex-servicemen suspend protest after defence minister assurance on Pension row

Published

on

Retired military personnel on Wednesday suspended their planned protest after the Minister of Defence, Gen Christopher Musa (retd.), assured them that the Federal Government would address their demands over pension adjustments and other welfare concerns.

The decision followed a meeting between representatives of the protesting ex-servicemen and officials of the Ministry of Defence at Ship House, Abuja.

One of the leaders of the protesters, Col Innocent Azubike (retd.), said the authorities had acknowledged that their demands were genuine and commenced steps towards addressing the issues.

“Authorities have accepted our cause was genuine and promised and initiated action also to compute our consequential allowance and include it in the fund requirement for implementation of the new outcome.

“That was mission achieved as far as we are concerned. And part of what really made them react was that the media was publicising it. They felt it was becoming a scandal and quickly solved the problem.

“At this moment, for me, I will be getting back to my station. All our people have dispersed,” Azubike said.

The Minister of Defence, who was represented at the meeting by the Permanent Secretary, Richard Pheelangwah, assured the veterans that the government was committed to addressing their welfare, remuneration and pension concerns.

In a statement by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, Musa said issues relating to wage and pension adjustments were receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to find a sustainable solution.

He said, “Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged.”

See also  15 more officers arrested over alleged coup plot as detention figures exceed 40

The minister also appealed to the protesters to remain calm and embrace dialogue, stressing that any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in line with existing approvals and regulations.

“Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations and due process,” he said.

Musa further assured the veterans that the ministry would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.

The protest had earlier been disrupted by a heavy deployment of soldiers and policemen around the Ministry of Defence.

Our correspondent, who arrived at the ministry at about 8 am, observed personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Immigration Service and Vehicle Inspection Officers deployed around the venue.

Armed soldiers were also seen moving around the venue as security operatives took strategic positions along roads leading to the ministry.

The correspondent counted two armoured personnel carriers and more than 15 vehicles belonging to the police, Army, Immigration Service and VIO stationed at both ends of the roads around the protest venue.

The retired military personnel had attempted to converge at the ministry to protest what they described as the failure of the authorities to implement consequential pension adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

The development reportedly resulted in a confrontation between some serving soldiers and the retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the veterans from assembling at the ministry.

The ex-servicemen are particularly demanding that pensioners benefit from consequential adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

See also  Ogun bondsmen scheme frees over 8,000 defendants, reduces prison crowding

Azubike had earlier said the retirees were not opposed to salary increases for serving personnel but wanted corresponding adjustments to their pensions.

He also raised concerns over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that pensioners were excluded from the computation.

In the minister’s statement, he acknowledged the sacrifices made by retired military personnel, stressing that their welfare remained a priority of the Federal Government.

“Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged,” the statement read.

Musa assured the veterans that the Ministry of Defence would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.

He reiterated the government’s appreciation of the patriotism and sacrifices of military veterans, saying their service to the country must be recognised through sustained attention to their welfare and legitimate entitlements.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu, EFCC boss meet on seized houses after Osun freeze row

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday received briefings from the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede, and the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Muttaqha Darma, at the State House, Abuja.

The trio discussed the management and disposal of houses seized nationwide by the anti-graft agency, the State House media office revealed in a terse statement/photo release late Tuesday.

It read, “Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Olanipekun Ola Olukoyede, and Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Muttaqha Rabe Darma, met with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the management and disposal of seized houses nationwide, under the rules of transparency and Accountability at the State House, Abuja. Tuesday, August 18, 2026.”

The meeting is the first public engagement between Tinubu and Olukoyede since the President publicly overruled the commission earlier this month over its handling of a court order freezing the Osun State Government’s accounts, just days before the state’s governorship election.

The EFCC had, on August 5, 2026, obtained a court order freezing Osun’s accounts, citing an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of ecology funds, intervention funds, and the state’s Federation Account Allocation Committee allocations, running to about N11bn.

The Osun State Government challenged the freeze in a suit filed the same day at the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking to nullify the order and claiming N2bn in exemplary damages, while accusing the commission of conducting an unproven “witch-hunt” against the state since March.

Two days later, in a statement he personally signed, Tinubu directed the EFCC to return to court and vacate the freeze order, saying he was “deeply embarrassed not by the EFCC’s exercise of its mandate backed by a court order, but by the timing of the agency’s action,” coming just 10 days to the August 15 poll.

See also  Ogun bondsmen scheme frees over 8,000 defendants, reduces prison crowding

The President said he had deliberately avoided interfering in the commission’s operational activities in the past, but could not allow any federal institution to create the impression that it was being deployed to influence the outcome of the election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke went on to win re-election in the August 15 poll.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics shortly after his victory was announced, Adeleke disclosed that he had directed the state’s Attorney General to withdraw the suit against the EFCC, crediting Tinubu’s intervention for the resolution.

“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending