Connect with us

Education

24 Kebbi schoolgirls rescued days after abduction

Published

on

The 24 schoolgirls abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Danko Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State, have regained their freedom.

The Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, confirmed the development on Tuesday.

Officials close to the Kebbi Government House also said the girls were rescued earlier in the day and are being taken to Birnin Kebbi for medical checks and debriefing.

“The girls have been freed. They are on their way to the State House,” a senior official said.

Details of the rescue are still unclear, but security sources said the breakthrough followed heavy joint operations by the military, police, local vigilantes and intelligence units across forest routes.

The girls were taken last week when armed men attacked their boarding school in the early hours of the morning.

Their abduction came a few days before another major attack in Niger State, where more than 300 children and teachers were kidnapped from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri.

The two incidents renewed painful memories of earlier mass kidnappings in Chibok, Dapchi, Kankara, Jangebe and Yauri, where schools, especially girls’ schools, have repeatedly been targeted.

Earlier on Tuesday, President Bola Tinubu ordered wider security operations and constant aerial surveillance across Kebbi, Niger and Kwara States, asking the Air Force to scan deep forest hideouts used by kidnap gangs.

The rescue of the Kebbi girls is the first major success since the president’s directive.

The Kebbi State Government is expected to make an official announcement once the girls arrive in Birnin Kebbi.

See also  PHOTOS: 200-level Niger State varsity d!es after collapsing in her off-campus residence

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

NECO Accredits Schools In Burkina Faso To Expand Global Reach

Published

on

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has accredited selected schools in Burkina Faso to host its examinations, marking another milestone in the council’s growing international footprint.

The development was announced on Sunday in Abuja by NECO’s Acting Director of Information and Public Relations, Azeez Sani.

Sani said the approval followed a comprehensive assessment of facilities across schools in Burkina Faso and cleared the way for the conduct of both the Senior School Certificate Examination and the Basic Education Certificate Examination in the West African country.

According to him, an accreditation team from NECO inspected classrooms, laboratories, libraries, computer labs, workshops, examination halls, sports facilities and security architecture during the visit.

“They also reviewed the schools’ Continuous Assessment (CA) records, teacher adequacy, and general learning environment to determine suitability for NECO examinations.

“After what was described as a thorough and detailed evaluation, the schools were granted full accreditation to host the SSCE and BECE,” Sani noted.

He said the expansion underscores NECO’s commitment to delivering quality assessment services beyond Nigeria’s borders.

“With its expanding global presence, NECO is poised to become a leading examination body in Africa, offering opportunities for Nigerian students and other foreign nationals worldwide to benefit from its expertise,” Sani added.

Sani recalled NECO’s recent establishment of an examination centre in London, adding to existing centres in Togo, Benin Republic, Niger Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire and Saudi Arabia.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso, M.D. Galadima, lauded the move, describing it as a major relief for Nigerian families residing in the country. He explained that parents had long struggled due to differences in educational systems and the shortage of English-language schools.

See also  New Curriculum - Full List of JSS, SS subjects

“Previously, parents had to take their children to Saki, Oyo State, to register and write the examination, exposing students and parents to security risks and imposing heavy financial burdens on families and school proprietors,” he said.

Galadima added that the accreditation would remove these risks and significantly ease the financial pressure on parents.

He urged the Nigerian community in Burkina Faso to take advantage of the opportunity by registering their children for NECO examinations.

Leader of the accreditation team, Uche Ezenwanne, said the approval means Nigerian students in Burkina Faso will no longer need to travel back home to sit for their exams.

He noted that the expansion “will reinforce NECO’s position as Africa’s foremost examination body.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Education

2026 CBT rollout on track, says WAEC

Published

on

The West African Examinations Council has maintained that its plan to conduct the 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination for school candidates through a fully computer-based system remains firmly on track.

WAEC also assured that no candidate would be required to travel more than two kilometres from their location to take the examination.

This was contained in a statement delivered by the Head of the Nigeria National Office of WAEC, Dr Amos Dangut, during a press conference in Umuahia, Abia State, on Friday.

Dangut spoke in response to growing concerns among parents, schools, and education stakeholders regarding the transition to the Computer-Based WASSCE for the May/June diet.

It would be recalled that the House of Representatives, on November 13, asked the Federal Ministry of Education and WAEC to immediately suspend the implementation of the Computer-Based Test policy for the 2026 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination.

The House also directed the Federal Ministry of Education to collaborate with states to include, in their 2026–2029 budgets, the recruitment of computer teachers, the construction of computer halls with internet facilities, and the provision of standby generators for all secondary schools in the country.

It similarly urged adequate provision of necessary facilities in private schools before the commencement of the policy in 2030.

However, Dangut said the briefing became necessary to speak on the Council’s preparedness to align with the Federal Government’s directive mandating the use of computer-based testing for the 2026 WASSCE.

He recalled the Federal Government’s order requiring all public examination bodies to migrate to digital assessment beginning in 2026. According to him, WAEC immediately initiated a series of measures, including testing digital examination platforms and evaluating the readiness of schools nationwide.

See also  Okpebholo to revive teaching of Edo languages in schools

He explained that WAEC, in line with its mandate and test administration standards, undertook a nationwide assessment of all secondary schools to determine their ICT capacity, geographical suitability, and infrastructure for digital examinations.

The findings, he said, informed a new classification framework grouping schools into three categories to determine how candidates would be assigned centres.

“In line with the Council’s test administration policies, a review of the readiness of all secondary schools across the country, particularly their geographical locations and access to modern Information and Communications Technology facilities, led to the development of a framework classifying schools into three main categories,” he said.

“Based on this framework, the Council conducted a mapping of the schools and modalities for the conduct of CB-WASSCE in line with the mapping of the schools, thereby ensuring that the conduct of the CB-WASSCE will not put any candidate at a disadvantageous position.”

He emphasised that fears of candidates travelling long distances were taken into cognisance, noting that WAEC had completed its mapping strategy to guarantee convenience, equity, and safety.

“Therefore, I stand here today to assure the general public that the Council has developed a robust strategy to ensure that no candidate sitting the CB-WASSCE for School Candidates, 2026, will be disenfranchised.

“Furthermore, we have a firm plan to ensure that no candidate will have to travel for more than two kilometres to sit the examination. This is our commitment to access and equity,” he assured.

On the controversial review of the curriculum, Dangut stressed that curriculum development and approval remained the responsibility of the Federal Government, not WAEC.

See also  PHOTOS: 200-level Niger State varsity d!es after collapsing in her off-campus residence

He said the Council merely implements what is approved, consistent with legal and administrative frameworks.

“On the recent review of the Basic and Secondary School Curricula, the Council wishes to clarify that this initiative is a directive from the Federal Government.

“The Council operates strictly within the legal framework of its host country, and the Government is solely responsible for the development of curricula and the monitoring of their implementation,” he noted.

He outlined the new subject structure approved for the 2026 WASSCE, saying the five fields are Core, Science, Humanities, Business, and Trade Subjects. Dangut added that although Citizenship and Heritage Studies and Digital Technologies are now listed as compulsory core subjects, they will not be examined until 2028.

“The Government approved Core (Compulsory) subjects are: English Language, General Mathematics, Citizenship and Heritage Studies, Digital Technologies, and one Trade Subject. However, candidates will not be tested in Citizenship and Heritage Studies and Digital Technologies in 2026 and would therefore not be examined until 2028 upon full implementation of the revised and streamlined syllabus,” he said.

With this adjustment, he said candidates for the 2026 and 2027 examinations will sit only three core subjects: English Language, General Mathematics, and one Trade Subject, while selecting five or six electives, bringing their total subject load to eight or nine.

He also disclosed a major change to the Trade Subjects category, revealing that the number had been reduced from 26 to six, while some subjects were renamed but retained their existing curriculum content.

One of the new additions, Horticulture and Crop Production, he said, is derived from Agricultural Science and will have its own syllabus.

See also  ASUU, VCs decry Profs’ N525,000 monthly pay - Strike Looms

Addressing concerns about subject registration limits, Dangut reassured schools and parents that WAEC had not placed any restrictions on candidates choosing subjects across fields.

“Specifically, Science students will not be barred from taking Economics as an elective,” he said.

On continuous assessment, he announced that WAEC would extend the timeline for uploading Continuous Assessment Scores to allow schools to adjust to the new curriculum.

He urged schools to conduct the required minimum of three assessments for candidates taking new subjects to meet the CASS requirement.

“Furthermore, WAEC will extend the period for Continuous Assessment Scores upload to ensure they meet the CASS requirement,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Education

FG, states must provide free basic education, court rules

Published

on

Justice Daniel Osiagor of the Federal High Court in Lagos has ruled that the Federal Government, the 36 states, and the Federal Capital Territory have a legal obligation to provide free, compulsory, and universal basic education for every Nigerian child of primary and junior secondary school age.

The judgment was delivered on October 9, 2025, in a suit filed by human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) and Hauwa Mustapha, who sued for themselves and on behalf of the Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond.

The Federal Government, the states, and the FCT were listed as respondents.

In the certified true copy of the judgment obtained by The PUNCH, Justice Osiagor held that, by virtue of Section 11(2) of the Universal Basic Education Act, the respondents carry a binding statutory duty to provide free and compulsory basic education within their territories.

“Any state that elects to participate must comply strictly with Section 11(2) by contributing 50 per cent counterpart funds before drawing from the Universal Basic Education Fund,” the judge said.

He added that failure to access the federal block grant “does not per se amount to illegality,” describing Section 11(2) as directory and conditional rather than mandatory.

The court also addressed whether the applicants possessed locus standi to bring the suit.

Justice Osiagor adopted a liberal approach, holding that public interest litigation involving fundamental social rights did not require strict proof of personal injury.

“The applicants demonstrated a genuine concern for the enforcement of children’s educational rights, supported by evidence of unaccessed federal grants.

“The suit raises constitutional and statutory questions affecting millions of Nigerian children. Accordingly, I hold that the applicants have sufficient interest and thus possess locus standi,” he added.

See also  St Mary’s Catholic School kidnap: 227 people were abducted - CAN

On the enforceability of the right to free, compulsory, and universal basic education, the court rejected the respondents’ argument that the right was non-justiciable under Chapter II of the Constitution.

Justice Osiagor held that the enactment of the UBE Act elevated the right from a mere directive principle to a statutory entitlement enforceable against the government.

“Once parliament has enacted a law imposing obligations, those obligations become enforceable,” he stated, citing Indian jurisprudence and the reasoning behind Nigeria’s constitutional drafting process.

The court concluded that Sections 2(1) and 11(2) of the UBE Act impose binding duties on the Federal Government, the states, and the FCT to guarantee free and compulsory basic education for Nigerian children.

However, regarding whether the refusal or failure of states to pay 50 per cent counterpart funding and access the N68bn Universal Basic Education Fund amounts to illegality, the court held that the law did not criminalise such refusal.

Justice Osiagor ruled that while states were obligated to provide basic education, they could not be compelled to access the matching grants.

He resolved the first and second issues in favour of the applicants, but held on the third issue that failure to draw from the fund was not unlawful.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending