Connect with us

Business

Nigerian businesses to lose billions of naira as 25-day blackout hits Lagos, Ogun

Published

on

Business owners, banks, and manufacturers are set to lose hundreds of billions of Naira as a 25-day blackout begins in Nigeria’s commercial nerve centre, Lagos State.

This comes as Ikeja Electric and Eko Electricity Distribution, on Friday last week, in separate statements, announced that Lagos and part of Ogun State (Agbara) would be plunged into weeks of power outages.

Eko DisCo said the outage would cover working hours from 8 am to 5 pm daily from July 28 to August 21, 2025.

“The outage will occur between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. each day, affecting several parts of Lagos and other serviced areas,” Eko DisCo stated.

Also, Ikeja Electric, covering most parts of Lagos State, announced the blackout.

The DisCos explained that the outage is due to the maintenance of the Omotosho–Ikeja West 330 kV line by the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

It was reports that while Ikeja Electric serves larger parts of Lagos, Eko DisCo is in charge of the southern part of the state, including Agbara Community in Ogun State.

The Ikeja Electric and Eko DisCo are Nigeria’s electricity distribution companies with the highest share of power supply from the National Grid.

Unfortunately, Lagos State plays host to the majority of Nigeria’s businesses, with an estimated N13 trillion spent monthly on electricity bills, according to the Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Biodun Ogunleye.

According to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission’s first-quarter 2025 report, the two DisCos collected the highest revenue of N101 billion and N105 billion, respectively.

See also  Capital Gains Tax: Taiwo Oyedele dismisses claims Nigerian investors are frustrated

Unfortunately, the outage would result in a drop in revenue for the DisCos and further worsen the liquidity crisis in the country’s power sector.

CPPE speaks on implication for business owners, Nigerians

Reacting to the development in an interview , the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, Dr Muda Yusuf, said the cost implication of the blackout will be enormous for business owners, residents, and the Nigerian economy at large.

According to him, the outage would result in significant pressure on energy costs for businesses and manufacturers, which would impact productivity.

He said, “The cost of the proposal to shut down the supply to the grid for maintenance will be enormous. The implication is that businesses that rely on the grid for supply will now have to shift to alternative sources of power. So we are likely to see significant pressure on energy costs for businesses in this period.

“Some businesses cannot afford to shut down; they have to operate 24 hours. We are talking about hotels, hospitals, supermarkets, and some manufacturers. They have to operate 24 hours, and this requires power. Generally, even with the complaint of high tariffs, using the power sources from the grid is cheaper than alternative sources of power like diesel or gas.

“This has a potentially huge cost implication for businesses, which will impact their bottom line. We are talking about close to a month. This will affect productivity because some businesses will have to operate for shorter hours due to the cost of energy.

See also  U.S terminates all trade talks with Canada

“It has implications for the economy in the Lagos area. Don’t forget Lagos is the commercial nerve centre of the country. It consumes a substantial part of the power generation from the grid.

“The cost will run into hundreds of billions of Naira,” he said.

He, however, added that the sacrifice of being without electricity supply is worth taking to boost the nation’s grid capacity.

“But again, we have been complaining about the quality of the National Grid, so if the government, through the TCN, is now committed to maintaining it and strengthening the capacity of the grid, I think it is a sacrifice that needs to be made.

“The performance of the grid has been poor due to poor investment, maintenance, and ageing facilities that have been there for years; that is why we have had a series of grid collapses.

“The grid appears to be one of the weakest links in the power supply chain. So the decision to maintain it is commendable, but the effect on business is enormous. But it is a sacrifice worth making at this time,” he added.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Oil nears $110 as Trump threatens strike in Iran

Published

on

Oil prices rose to $109.3 on Sunday amid the unending tension in the Middle East, data by Oilprice.com has shown.

This was as the United States President, Donald Trump, warned Iran that the “clock is ticking” after talks to bring the war to an end continued to stall.

From about $107 a barrel last week, oil prices continue to go higher, impacting the cost of refined petroleum products at the pump.

Recall that Trump had last week rejected the proposal by Iran to end the crisis and reopen the all-important Strait of Hormuz. Iran has remained in control of the strait since the war started in February, making oil transportation impossible.

On Sunday, Trump warned Iran to act fast or lose everything. “They better get moving FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.

The BBC reports that the message came as the president was due to speak with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday.

Trump warned earlier that the ceasefire agreed with Iran was on “massive life support” after rejecting Tehran’s demands to end the war.

Trump had labelled the Iranian response to US proposals “totally unacceptable”.

An Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, insisted the response was “responsible” and “generous”.

According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, it includes an immediate end to the war on all fronts, a reference to the continued Israeli attacks against Iran-supported Hezbollah in Lebanon, a halt to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, and guarantees of no further attacks on Iran.

See also  Miners reject governors’ six-month mining ban plan

It also reportedly includes a demand for compensation for war damage and an emphasis on Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump said Chinese President Xi Jinping had agreed Tehran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, though China gave no indication it would weigh in.

Iranian Foreign Minister Seyyed Abbas Araghchi stated that the Strait of Hormuz remains open to commercial traffic, but ships must cooperate with the Iranian Navy and the authorities while navigating the region.

About 30 Chinese vessels transited the strait on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Business

Lagos bans petroleum tankers from transporting edible oil

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has banned the use of petroleum tankers in the transportation and distribution of edible oil as part of efforts to strengthen food safety, hygiene, and compliance standards across the sector.

The restriction forms part of a broader regulatory framework introduced through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency (LASCOPA) and major stakeholders in the edible oil transportation chain.

The agreement involves the Marketers and Sellers of Edible Oil Association of Nigeria (MASEON), the Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO), and the Association of Edible Oil Tanker Drivers of Nigeria under the National Union of Edible Oil Tanker Drivers of Nigeria (ETD/NUEOTDN).

In a statement issued on Friday, LASCOPA said the move was aimed at stopping the use of tankers previously deployed for petroleum and hazardous substances in the transportation of edible oil.

The agency warned that the practice exposes consumers to serious health risks caused by possible contamination from chemical residues left in fuel tankers.

“The key objectives of the agreement include ensuring that tankers designated for edible oil transportation are used exclusively for that purpose; preventing the use of edible oil tankers for petroleum products and hazardous substances,” the statement read.

According to the agency, the MoU introduces a strict compliance framework mandating the exclusive use of food-grade certified tankers for edible oil transportation.

LASCOPA said the framework would also strengthen hygiene standards, improve traceability, and enhance operational monitoring within the edible oil distribution chain.

The agency added that stakeholders have committed to implementing tanker registration and identification systems, periodic inspections, random spot checks, laboratory testing of edible oil samples, and joint enforcement operations to ensure full compliance.

See also  Miners reject governors’ six-month mining ban plan

It further stated that enforcement activities would be intensified under the Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency Law, 2025.

“Stakeholders are committed to tanker registration, identification systems, periodic inspections, random spot checks, laboratory testing of edible oil samples, and joint enforcement operations to ensure compliance,” the statement added.

LASCOPA also said it would step up monitoring activities and investigate consumer complaints as part of efforts to protect public health and improve consumer confidence in food transportation standards across Lagos State.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

NNPC urged to revive refineries after Dangote snub

Published

on

The National Publicity Secretary of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Chinedu Ukadike, has tackled the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) over its attempt to increase its stake in the Dangote Petroleum Refinery despite the poor state of government-owned refineries.

Ukadike stated this while reacting to comments by the President of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, that the refinery rejected requests by the NNPC to increase its 7.25 per cent stake in the $20bn facility.

Dangote had disclosed this during an interview with the Chief Executive Officer of the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund, Nicolai Tangen, monitored by our correspondents on Wednesday.

Reacting to the development, Ukadike questioned why the national oil company was seeking to invest more funds in the privately-owned refinery when the Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna refineries under its control had remained largely inactive despite billions of dollars spent on rehabilitation.

“Why is NNPC trying to invest money in the Dangote refinery when it has three refineries that are not working? Why is NNPC not investing that money in those ones?” Ukadike asked.

He added, “The NNPC did not revive our refineries, but they want to look for where the refinery is already working to put money into it. Does that make sense?”

The IPMAN spokesman said Dangote had the right to reject the offer from the NNPC if he considered it unsuitable for his business interests.

“If Dangote refused to sell more stakes to NNPC, he must have his reasons. Dangote is a businessman. He doesn’t want issues, unnecessary crises, and nepotism. He knows what he wants, and I also think he has enough cash to fund his business,” he stated.

See also  Miners reject governors’ six-month mining ban plan

Ukadike further urged the national oil company to focus on reviving critical oil infrastructure across the country instead of pursuing additional ownership of the refinery. “The NNPC should repair the pipelines and revive the refineries instead of eyeing the Dangote refinery,” he said.

Dangote had stated during the interview that the NNPC was interested in acquiring more shares in the refinery after previously purchasing a 7.25 per cent stake for $1bn in 2021. According to him, the request was rejected because the company planned to list the refinery publicly and allow more Nigerians to own shares in the project.

“The other biggest risk is government inconsistencies in policies, and we are addressing that one because if you look at our refinery, the national oil company already owns 7.25 per cent, and they are trying to buy more. We are the ones that said no; we want to now spread it and have everybody be part of it,” Dangote said.

The NNPC had initially planned to acquire a 20 per cent stake in the refinery, but later reduced its ownership to 7.25 per cent after failing to pay the balance before the June 2024 deadline.

Dangote had explained this in 2024, saying, “The agreement was actually 20 per cent, which we had with NNPC, and they did not pay the balance of the money up until last year; then we gave them another extension up until June (2024), and they said that they would remain where they had already paid, which is 7.2 per cent. So NNPC owns only 7.2 per cent, not 20 per cent.”

See also  Capital Gains Tax: Taiwo Oyedele dismisses claims Nigerian investors are frustrated

However, a stakeholder in the petroleum sector who pleaded for anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter held that the interest of the nation is well served by NNPC having a 20 per cent stake in the Dangote refinery.

“I think Nigeria is better served by NNPC being a shareholder. If NNPC could have taken 20 per cent of that refinery, Nigeria as a country would be better served,” the stakeholder said.

According to him, the fact that the NNPC failed to get the 20 per cent take before does not mean it could not get it again. He said Dangote refused NNPC’s offer because he wants to remain in control.

“You know Dangote is planning to value his company at $50bn. I think he’s going to sell 10 per cent only, so he remains in control, making a lot of money for himself. Selling only 10 per cent means he has 90 per cent. If NNPC were there with 20 per cent, then NNPC would have two directors. These two directors would have some say,” he said.

The stakeholder added that such an important asset cannot exist in a country without the government’s involvement.

“You can’t have such a big asset in the country, and then the government or the government’s agent has no say in the decisions of that company. It can’t happen. It’s wrong. I’m not saying the government must have a say in all the big companies, but in a company that is so big that it can influence whether the sun rises or falls in that country, the government must have a say.

See also  Wage arrears: Labour issues Friday ultimatum to FG

“The refinery is big. In any case, NNPC is also the supplier of last resort. It’s the national oil company. That has some meaning. I think that in the best interest of the country, if we all agree that Dangote is too big to fail, then it means that Nigerians as a people need to be inside the Dangote refinery to make sure it does not fail,” the operator said.

Meanwhile, a senior official of the NNPC said the NNPC is proud of its current stake in the Dangote refinery.

“The NNPC is proud and happy that we own a 7.2 per cent stake in Dangote. And whatever we own as a stake in Dangote as a national oil company is on behalf of the entire Nigeria. So, when the opportunity presents itself in the long term, yes.

“But right now, we are proud of the 7.2 per cent stake we own in the Dangote refinery. Apart from that, the quality and level of collaboration that is currently going on between NNPC and Dangote is in the interest of the entire Nigeria,” the official said, begging not to be mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending