Connect with us

News

Trump Administration Releases Martin Luther King Jr Assassination Files

Published

on

The Donald Trump administration on Monday released over 230,000 pages of previously classified documents related to the assassination of iconic civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr., nearly six decades after his death.

Despite the development being hailed as a significant step toward government transparency, surviving members of King’s family have expressed serious concerns over how the declassified records could be weaponised to tarnish their father’s legacy.

Director of National Intelligence, Tulsi Gabbard, announced the document release in a statement on Monday, noting that the files were published “with minimal redactions for privacy reasons.”

Gabbard said, “The American people have waited nearly sixty years to see the full scope of the federal government’s investigation into Dr King’s assassination.

“We are ensuring that no stone is left unturned in our mission to deliver complete transparency on this pivotal and tragic event in our nation’s history.”

The move follows an executive order signed by former President Donald Trump, which called for the declassification of files relating to the 1960s assassinations of President John F. Kennedy, Senator Robert F. Kennedy, and Dr. King.

The National Archives had earlier released records on JFK’s assassination in March and those related to Robert F. Kennedy’s killing in April.

Naija News understands that King was assassinated in April 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee. James Earl Ray was convicted of the murder and sentenced to 99 years in prison. He died in 1998, but questions around the official narrative persist.

In a joint statement, King’s surviving children, Martin Luther King III and Bernice King, expressed their welcome to transparency but expressed concern about its implications.

See also  UK will not yield to Trump pressure over Greenland, says PM Starmer

They said, “We support transparency and historical accountability. However, we are deeply concerned that the release of these records may be exploited for attacks on our father’s legacy.”

They highlighted that Dr. King was subjected to “an invasive, predatory, and deeply disturbing disinformation and surveillance campaign” by the FBI under then-director J. Edgar Hoover.

The statement further stated, “These actions were not only invasions of privacy but intentional assaults on the truth. The FBI campaign was intended to discredit, dismantle and destroy Dr. King’s reputation and the broader American Civil Rights Movement.”

They urged the public and media to approach the newly released documents with sensitivity.

“We ask those who engage with the release of these files to do so with empathy, restraint, and respect for our family’s continuing grief,” the family pleaded.

King’s assassination has long been the subject of alternative theories and scepticism. Although Ray confessed to the murder, King’s children and many historians have maintained that there may have been a broader conspiracy involved.

The U.S. government has also been criticised over the years for its slow and piecemeal release of documents, especially those tied to the JFK and RFK assassinations.

The Warren Commission, which investigated President John F. Kennedy’s 1963 assassination, concluded that former Marine sharpshooter Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. Yet, this conclusion has not stemmed widespread speculation of a larger plot.

Similarly, Robert F. Kennedy, then a presidential hopeful and former attorney general, was gunned down in 1968. Sirhan Sirhan, a Palestinian-born Jordanian, was convicted and is currently serving a life sentence in California.

See also  FG defends passport price hike to N100,000, N200,000

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  UK will not yield to Trump pressure over Greenland, says PM Starmer

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG defends passport price hike to N100,000, N200,000

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Senate seeks support for farmers over farm produce price crash
Continue Reading

Trending