Connect with us

News

Stop calling cannabis Indian Hemp – India authorities tell Nigerians, NDLEA

Published

on

Many authorities in India have told the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, in Nigeria that they are no longer comfortable with the term “Indian Hemp,” a name that Nigerians nickname Cannabis Certi, a banned drug.

Cross River State Commander of NDLEA, Rachel Umebuali, disclosed this in an interview in Calabar when she reeled out names of local government areas in the state which have become notorious for illegal drug consumption and cultivation.

Although she did not disclose the name of the particular Indian authorities that cautioned them, she added that the Indian authorities felt the term connotes negativity, and they do not want to be seen as associated with it.

“This is the reason we prefer and encourage all Nigerians to call it Cannabis Certi—what, in street language, is called Kanja, we-we, Igbo, marijuana, etc.”

Umebuali listed Akamkpa, Ikom, Odukpani, Yakurr, and Calabar South LGAs as notorious for high consumption of assorted lethal and illegal drugs.

“There are several new substances that have been discovered. And Calabar South LGA is actually the hub where hard drugs and other substances are distributed and consumed in large quantities.

“In Akamkpa, Ikom, and Odukpani LGA, we discovered massive Cannabis farms. There are more than 100 hectares of these farms that we have so far destroyed.

“We noted that many of those cultivating these farms are not even from Cross River but connived with unscrupulous landowners to give out these vast lands at agreed fees, and employed locals to work there.”

See also  Microsoft ends Windows 10 updates, leaving millions facing tough choices

She disclosed that the cultivation of Cannabis Certi has been shifted from states like Edo and Ondo to Cross River and other hinterlands.

The drug enforcement boss disclosed that in six months, they have arrested 208 drug peddlers and consumers.

“We arrested 208 drug users. Out of this number, 181 are male while 27 are female. We seized 3,475.65 kg, translating to 3.5 tons of hard drugs. Top of these is Cannabis Certi.”

She vowed that nobody, including traditional, religious, or political chieftains or drug farms, would be spared in their ongoing clampdown despite the humongous challenges confronting them.

“As you know, when you fight such criminal elements and destroy their source of livelihoods, they will fight back. But my mandate is to curb all drugs-related activities in the state.”

She explained that everyone has the right to arrest offenders but must hand such over immediately to appropriate enforcement agencies.

She commended traditional dignitaries and the state government who have been very supportive in the fight against drug activities.

She mentioned that there are two-pronged sensitization programmes, including drug demand reduction and drug demand consumption.

She said they seriously need rehabilitation centres to keep those affected so that they can be detached and reunited with families, adding that the high number of users is frightening.

“We appeal for public support to be able to penetrate hard-to-reach communities where drug abuse is prevalent to save innocent locals,” Umebuali pleaded.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Traders escape death as heavy duty truck falls in Umuahia Timber market

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Traders escape death as heavy duty truck falls in Umuahia Timber market

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Photos: Nigeria Military Drone Crashes In Niger State
Continue Reading

Trending