Connect with us

Politics

PHOTOS: APC’s Adesola Elegbeji wins Ogun bye-election with 41,237 votes

Published

on

The Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Adesola Ayoola Elegbeji, as the duly elected winner of the Ikenne, Sagamu, Remo North Federal Constituency by-election held on Saturday, 16th August 2025, in Ogun State, southwest Nigeria.

Announcing the final results at the INEC collation centre in Ikenne, the Returning Officer, Prof. Kazeem Olajide Bello, said Elegbeji polled a total of 41,237 votes to defeat her closest rival, the Peoples Democratic Party, who polled 14,324 votes.

The candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) garnered 289 votes.

Prof. Bello, while announcing the winner in the early hours of Sunday, declared Elegbeji the winner.

The Returning Officer stated, “By the powers conferred on me, having satisfied the requirements of the law and scored the highest number of valid votes cast, I hereby declare Adesola Ayoola Elegbeji as the winner.”

Final results from all three LGAs:

Ikenne LGA
Accredited voters: 17,477
APC – 10,227
PDP – 5,595
ADC – 73

Remo North LGA
Accredited voters: 9,374
APC – 8,052
PDP – 992
ADC – 37

Sagamu LGA

Accredited voters: 32,574
APC – 22,958
PDP – 7,737
ADC – 179

With this declaration, the winner from the All the Congress, APC, Adesola Ayoola Elegbeji, is expected to receive a certificate of return from INEC in due course.

Other returning officers who took part in the collation process were Prof. Richard Abayomi Sobayo (Sagamu), Dr. Akeem Adekunle Makinde (Ikenne), and Dr. Matthew Wheto (Remo North).

The returning officer explained that, at Ikenne local government, APC scored 10,227 and PDP got 5,595, while at Remo North local government, APC garnered 8,052 and PDP 992, and at Sagamu local government, APC won with 22,958, with PDP scoring 7,737.

See also  2027: Be wary of politicians with unrealistic promises, Makinde warns

”That Elegbeji Adesola Yetunde Ayoola of APC, having satisfied the requirements of law, is hereby declared the winner and returned elected,” Prof. Bello said.

Speaking with Voice of Nigeria after the announcement of the results, Princess Elegbeji thanked the electorate for coming out en masse and promised to continue the legacy of the late Adewunmi Onanuga.

“I’m impressed with the turnout of voters. The people want continuity. They want me to continue with what “Ijaya” is doing in the constituency. I thanked them for coming out in large numbers. “I promise I wouldn’t disappoint them,” she said.

The by-election became vacant following the death of the lawmaker representing the constituency, Adewunmi Onanuga.

Onanuga, the then Deputy Chief Whip of the Federal House of Representatives, died on January 15, 2025, after a brief illness.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

VIDEO: #OSUNDECIDES2026! Angry Youths Storm INEC Office, Chant “Fadahunsi Ole”

Published

on

Some Osun youths gathered at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo, Saturday night, to monitor the collation of results from the governorship election.

 

In a video from the scene, the youths could be heard chanting “Fadahunsi ole, your plans will not work”.

The senator representing Osun East, Francis Fadahunsi, had earlier been captured in another video during the election, where he was seen confronting and allegedly threatening voters at his polling unit in the presence of a police officer.

The chant came as the collation of results from the election continued at the INEC headquarters.

Watch video below..

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Over 6.2 million Nigerians complete online voter pre-registration – INEC
Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Election: EU Observer Hub Uncovers 323 Electoral Offences, 38 Security Incidents

Published

on

The European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that the 726 polling units monitored were disrupted by violent acts and irregularities.

They disclosed that they had deployed 823 accredited observers across polling units in all 30 local government areas to monitor the election.

The statement read, “Of 2,339,233 registered voters, 1,906,390, representing 81.50 per cent, had collected their Permanent Voters Cards and were eligible to vote.”

Speaking on the security incidents, the Union stated that there were 25 cases of thuggery, 12 attacks on electoral officials and 9 cases of voter intimidation by security personnel.

The hub said, “It separately recorded 323 cases of electoral offences across the polling units observed, including 103 cases of vote trading, 85 cases of exposure of ballot papers, 31 cases of obstruction of voters, 38 cases of campaigning at polling units, 28 cases of inducement of polling and security officials, 14 cases of voter impersonation, 12 cases of multiple voting and 7 cases of misconduct by election officials.”

The Hub also identified specific cases of voter intimidation by security agents at PU 29-10-10-005, Igbon District Council School, Ejigbo, and PU 29-30-06-015, opposite No. 22 Oke Ola Street, Okanla Area, Osogbo.

See also  Over 6.2 million Nigerians complete online voter pre-registration – INEC

“During the accreditation process, 608 of 726 observed polling units, or 83.7 per cent, had polling officials with a full complement of both sensitive and non-sensitive materials between 7:30am and 8:00 am. A further 75 polling units opened between 8:00am and 8:30am, and 42 between 8:30 am and 11:00am, while one polling unit remained unopened as of 11:00am due to the non-arrival of personnel and materials,” the statement read.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun Poll: Full List Of LGAs Won By Adeleke

Published

on

The Governor of Osun State and candidate of the Accord Party (A), Ademola Adeleke, has been officially declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Naija News had earlier reported that Adeleke, who contested against the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Oyebamiji and several other candidates, had a total of 511,067 votes while Oyebamiji gathered 444,815 votes, a difference of 66,256 votes.

Adeleke won 19 local government areas, while his closest rival, Oyebamiji, won 11.

Here are the local government areas won by Adeleke:

Ede North: Adeleke — 35,427; APC — 10,283

Osogbo: Adeleke — 36,480; APC — 30,474

Ede South: Adeleke — 26,188; APC — 6,219

Iwo: Adeleke — 27,085; APC — 19,660

Ife East: Adeleke — 27,201; APC — 18,600

Ife Central: Adeleke — 21,171; APC — 15,913

Ifelodun: Adeleke — 21,107; APC — 18,396

Oriade: Adeleke — 21,343; APC — 14,863

Egbedore: Adeleke — 19,278; APC — 11,194

Odo Otin: Adeleke — 18,003; APC — 15,435

Ilesa West: Adeleke — 16,196; APC — 12,756

Ila: Adeleke — 16,211; APC — 12,934

Ayedaade: Adeleke — 16,681; APC — 15,719

Ife North: Adeleke — 13,879; APC — 9,613

Orolu: Adeleke — 12,352; APC — 10,622

Boluwaduro: Adeleke — 7,118; APC — 7,050

Ayedire: Adeleke — 11,073; APC — 9,910

Ejigbo Local Government Area and Ifedayo

Meanwhile, the European Union (EU) Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria Election Observation Hub (EU-SDGN EOH) has claimed that there were over 38 reported security incidents and 323 electoral offences and irregularities in the Osun 2026 election.

See also  Power showdown: Wike bloc defiant as PDP BoT insists on convention

Naija News reports that the Union, which comprises the Centre for Media and Society (CEMESO), the International Press Centre (IPC), the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF), TAF Africa, The Kukah Centre (TKC) and Yiaga Africa, made the claim in a statement on Saturday.

The hub asserted that violent acts and irregularities disrupted the 726 polling units monitored.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending