Connect with us

News

Isese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun declare Wednesday public holiday as Ekiti, Ondo opt out

Published

on

The South-West will witness a mixed atmosphere on Wednesday as some states, including Osun, Ogun, Lagos, and Oyo, have declared Wednesday, August 20, 2025, a public holiday to commemorate the 2025 Isese Day celebration, while Ekiti and Ondo opted out of the observance.

In Osun State, Governor Ademola Adeleke declared the holiday, saying the decision was in recognition of the cultural heritage of the Yoruba people.

A statement signed by the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Abdulrasheed Aderibigbe, said the holiday would allow traditional religion worshippers to fully participate in the annual festival.

Adeleke, while felicitating with adherents, urged them to celebrate peacefully and in line with the law, stressing the need to promote unity and cultural awareness.

He noted that the festival was not only about tradition but also about preserving the values that bind the Yoruba together.

Similarly, the Ogun State Government announced the same date as a public holiday, citing the law passed by the House of Assembly in 2023 and approved by Governor Dapo Abiodun.

According to the governor’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Kayode Akinmade, the recognition of Isese Day underscores the administration’s respect for Yoruba spirituality and identity.

“Isese Day is not just a holiday but a moment of reflection for adherents to honour their ancestors and strengthen the cultural values that define us,” Akinmade stated, noting that it would also deepen inter-communal harmony.

In Lagos, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu reaffirmed his commitment to supporting traditional institutions by declaring the day work-free for public servants.

See also  SERAP Writes Tinubu, Demands Certified Copies Of Tax Laws

A circular issued by the Head of Service, Bode Agoro, explained that the governor’s decision was part of efforts to preserve indigenous culture and heritage. It added that normal work activities would resume on Thursday, August 21.

Oyo State also joined in the declaration, with Governor Seyi Makinde approving a work-free day.

A circular signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Olanike Adeyemo, urged residents to use the occasion to pray for peace, unity, and stability in the state and the country.

Despite the wave of recognition across the region, Ekiti and Ondo stood apart, having yet to declare a similar holiday.

Isese Day, celebrated annually across Yorubaland, is devoted to honouring the traditions, deities, and values of the Yoruba people. Over the years, it has gained stronger institutional recognition as states move to balance religious tolerance with cultural preservation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  North Feeling Marginalised Under Tinubu — Arewa Group Cries Out

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  North Feeling Marginalised Under Tinubu — Arewa Group Cries Out

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ministry blames budget delay as S’Africa cuts embassy power supply
Continue Reading

Trending