Connect with us

News

UAE restates support for peace in Middle East

Published

on

The United Arab Emirates has renewed its call for peace in the Middle East, insisting that a two-state solution remains the most realistic way to resolve the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.

The Assistant Minister for Political Affairs and Envoy of the UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lana Nusseibeh, made this known in a statement on Thursday, reflecting on the significance of the 2020 Abraham Accords signed under US President Donald Trump.

She explained that the agreements were “anchored in a vision of peace built on prosperity, coexistence, and tolerance.”

According to her, the accords were never meant to sideline the Palestinian struggle but rather to strengthen efforts towards an independent Palestinian state.

She recalled that at the time of the signing, the UAE’s Foreign Minister, Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, had commended Israel’s decision to suspend its planned annexation of parts of the West Bank, describing the move as “a step towards a better Middle East and a shared will to achieve a brighter future for generations.”

Nusseibeh, however, warned that any fresh push to annex West Bank territory would go against the spirit of the agreement and threaten regional stability.

She described annexation as a “red line” for the UAE and urged the Israeli government to step back from such plans.

“The path to peace requires courage, persistence, and a refusal to allow extremism or violence to dictate the future of the region,” she noted.

She stressed that ending the war in Gaza, freeing hostages, and preventing Hamas from retaining control of the territory were the first steps to de-escalation.

See also  Prosperity will not come by taxing poverty - Peter Obi

She further said efforts should focus on restoring order in Gaza, reforming Palestinian governance, and reuniting Gaza with the West Bank.

Reaffirming its stance, the UAE said it remained committed to a peaceful solution that guarantees Israel and Palestine coexist “side by side in peace, security, and prosperity.”

PUNCH Online reports that since the signing of the Abraham Accords in 2020, the United Arab Emirates has emerged as a pioneering Arab nation in normalising ties with Israel — the first Gulf state to do so.

The agreement was forged on the condition that Israel suspend plans to annex parts of the West Bank, thereby preserving the potential for a two-state resolution to the Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Over the years, the Accords have facilitated unprecedented economic and diplomatic cooperation between the UAE and Israel, spanning technology, cybersecurity, tourism, healthcare, and trade

However, this progress now faces jeopardy. UAE officials have issued stern warnings that any renewed attempts by Israel to annex West Bank territory would cross a “red line” and threaten the Accords’ very foundation, potentially undoing years of careful regional integration and peace-building efforts.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  JUST IN: Court discharges Ibom Air passenger

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Diezani lavished over N4bn in London luxury store – UK prosecutor
Continue Reading

Trending