Connect with us

News

Nigeria and Wildlife Justice Commission set to combat illegal trafficking

Published

on

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency and the Wildlife Justice Commission have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to strengthen wildlife protection and combat organised trafficking in Nigeria.

The agreement was signed on Tuesday at NESREA’s headquarters in Abuja by the agency’s Director-General, Prof. Innocent Barikor, and the WJC’s Chief of Investigations, Stephen Carmody, represented by Abim Isafiade, the Regional Manager for West and Central Africa.

Meanwhile, the newly signed MoU will strengthen intelligence-sharing, enhance forensic and legal collaboration, and support future programmes under the Nigerian Wildlife Law Enforcement Task Force.

The MoU reflects a shared commitment by NESREA and the WJC to disrupt wildlife crime, dismantle transnational criminal networks, and ensure that organised crime is no longer driving species to extinction.

The development comes months after Nigeria’s House of Representatives passed the Endangered Species Conservation and Protection Bill, 2024, which aims to curb organised wildlife trafficking and provide stronger protection for endangered species.

Nigeria has long been identified as a key transit hub in the global illegal wildlife trade.

Findings from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s Organised Crime Threat Assessment for Nigeria (2023) revealed the country’s central role in the trafficking of pangolins, ivory, and rosewood, among other species and forest products.

Speaking during the signing, Prof. Barikor said, “This MoU aligns perfectly with Nigeria’s obligations under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora and demonstrates our government’s determination to protect biodiversity, conserve threatened species, and ensure sustainably managed wildlife resources for future generations.

See also  FHC demands blogger’s arrest over false assassination report on judge

“NESREA is committed to working hand-in-hand with the WJC to ensure that Nigeria does not serve as a haven or transit hub for wildlife traffickers. Together, we will make it increasingly difficult for those who profit from the destruction of our natural heritage.”

On her part, the Executive Director of the WJC, Olivia Swaak-Goldman, said the collaboration with NESREA would bring fresh vigour into wildlife enforcement activities in the country.

“By expanding our partnerships to include NESREA and the Nigerian Wildlife Law Enforcement Task Force, we can sustain and deepen this transformation — ensuring that Nigeria continues to set the benchmark for intelligence-led enforcement,” she said

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  FHC demands blogger’s arrest over false assassination report on judge

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Land dispute turns deadly in Ghana, 31 killed, 48,000 displaced

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigeria Must Stop Normalising Past Evils – Farotimi Knocks ‘Statesman’ Label For IBB
Continue Reading

Trending