Connect with us

News

Fubara consults Tinubu on Rivers peace sustenance

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, on Monday in Abuja said he is at peace with his political benefactor.

He also noted that “proper peace” has returned to the state after a months-long feud that triggered an emergency rule in March.

Speaking to journalists after meeting President Bola Tinubu at the Aso Rock Villa in Abuja, Fubara stressed that he had resumed his duties in an atmosphere of peace and cooperation.

“As far as I’m concerned, we have made peace. Fubara and his principal are working together,” the governor said, referring to his estranged predecessor and current Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.

Fubara also revealed that his visit to Tinubu was a courtesy call and an opportunity to seek direction following the expiration of the six-month emergency rule that saw his suspension and those of key political leaders of the state.

“Ideally, it’s proper for me to see Mr. President and to tell him that I’m back, and I’ve also resumed my responsibility as the governor of Rivers State,” he said, adding, “It’s not much. It’s a father-son discussion, telling him thank you, and the areas where, if at all, there should be any issue for him to guide me properly so we don’t get in any situation of crisis.”

Tinubu lifted the emergency rule on September 17, restoring the offices of governor, deputy governor and the House of Assembly after a political impasse between Fubara and Wike that had crippled governance.

The Supreme Court had earlier declared that “there was no government in Rivers State,” citing the collapse of relations between the loyalists of both men in the assembly.

See also  Chieftaincy Title: ’48 Hours My Foot, Ooni Will Not Respond To Alaafin’s Empty Threat’ – Palace Aide

The crisis threatened governance in the oil-rich state as vital pipelines came under attack in the days leading to Tinubu’s declaration of emergency rule.

Meanwhile, Fubara on Monday lamented the huge economic opportunities lost due to the underutilisation of the state’s two seaports, warning that unless their capacities are optimised, both Rivers and Nigeria will continue to miss out on jobs, investments, and industrial growth.

The governor stated this when he received a delegation of the Nigerian Ports Authority Board and Management, led by its Chairman, Senator Adeyeye Adedayo Clement, on a courtesy visit to Government House, Port Harcourt.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Nelson Chukwudi, the governor said seaports remain critical to national development, noting that world-class ports and airports drive prosperity in many countries.

He stressed that despite being strategically blessed with the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports, Rivers had yet to fully harness their potential.

“We are blessed with the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports, but the truth is they are underutilised. Imagine if Onne Port was working at full capacity—the level of activities around Eleme, Tai, and the surrounding areas would transform the entire state’s economy. It will drive employment, create opportunities in manufacturing, and expand clearing and forwarding operations,” he said.

Fubara explained that maximising the capacity of both ports would attract industries seeking proximity to export facilities, reduce logistics costs, and boost investor confidence. He added that the ripple effects would include job creation, business growth, and higher tax revenues.

He also highlighted the relatively peaceful environment in Rivers under his administration, which, he noted, had fostered smoother relations between host communities, government, and the port authority compared to the disruptions seen elsewhere.

See also  Ghana accepts Nigerians, other West Africans deported from US

On infrastructure, the Governor decried the poor federal roads linking the ports, describing them as a major hindrance to operations. While acknowledging that road repairs were a federal responsibility, he pledged state support through traffic management, discipline among trailer drivers, and complementary measures to ease congestion.

Fubara further promised to enhance security within the port precincts by establishing a new police station. He linked insecurity to unemployment, stressing that reviving port activity would reduce youth restiveness and crime.

“Most of these societal issues stem from unemployment. If activities pick up at the ports, nobody will want to be a criminal when there are genuine opportunities to make a living,” he said.

The Governor also cautioned against encroachment on port lands, warning that such practices undermine development. He urged the NPA Board to provide details of encroachment cases for immediate government intervention.

On flooding, he explained that poor access roads and drainage were the major causes and assured that the state would collaborate with the NPA on remedial works once the problem areas were identified.

Commending the board for partnering with the state before embarking on intervention projects, Fubara said such collaboration would ensure community buy-in and sustainability. “When government is part of your programmes, it means you have already succeeded, because the government represents the people,” he noted.

He pledged his administration’s full support to the NPA, urging the Board to transform the seaports into engines of economic growth rather than “monuments of neglect.”

In his remarks, NPA Board Chairman, Senator Adeyeye Adedayo Clement, said Nigeria’s littoral states are endowed with rich marine resources that are veritable catalysts for growth. He pledged the Board’s commitment to reviving operations at the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports and sought the state government’s support in rehabilitating access roads, ensuring environmental cleanliness, curbing illegal truck parking, and establishing a police post to tackle insecurity.

See also  CNN anchor Christiane Amanpour, 67, reveals the ovarian cancer she was battling has returned

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Gombe kicks off training for 1,103 beneficiaries under NDE’s initiative

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Ghana accepts Nigerians, other West Africans deported from US

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: We’re repositioning Ogun as Nigeria’s leading destination for culture, tourism – Gov Abiodun
Continue Reading

Trending