Connect with us

News

UK to launch digital ID scheme to curb illegal migration

Published

on

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has unveiled plans to introduce a free nationwide digital identification system, in what his government says is a major step towards tackling illegal migration while modernising access to public services.

Announcing the initiative on Friday, September 26, ahead of the Labour Party’s annual conference, Starmer said the new system will provide every British citizen and legal resident with a digital ID that can be stored on their phones. The government insists the scheme will simplify applications for driving licences, childcare, welfare benefits, and tax services, while also ensuring only those with a legal right to remain in the country are able to work.

“This will stop those with no right to be here from being able to find work, curbing their prospect of earning money, one of the key ‘pull factors’ for people who come to the UK illegally,” the government said in a statement.

Officials stressed that there would be no requirement for individuals to carry their ID or produce it in public, but that the system will become mandatory for proving eligibility to work.

Starmer called the move “an enormous opportunity for the UK” and framed it as part of his wider pledge to build “a fairer Britain for those who want to see change, not division.” He added that alongside migration enforcement, the scheme will “offer ordinary citizens countless benefits” by reducing bureaucratic hurdles.

The proposal comes at a politically sensitive moment for Labour. Starmer faces growing pressure on immigration policy, with Labour’s annual conference set to begin and critics demanding clarity on how the government intends to reduce arrivals while maintaining fairness and respect for human rights.

See also  Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

Britain has historically resisted introducing national identity cards. Unlike many European nations, it does not operate a central civilian registry or require citizens to present ID in public. An earlier attempt under Tony Blair’s Labour government to create voluntary identity cards and a resident database was scrapped in 2011 by a Conservative-led administration that opposed the scheme on civil liberties grounds.

That resistance was echoed again on Friday by Kemi Badenoch, leader of the opposition Conservatives, who vowed her party would fight the rollout. Writing on X, she said: “We will oppose any push by this organisation or the government to impose mandatory ID cards on law-abiding citizens. We will not support any system that is mandatory for British people or excludes those of us who choose not to use it from any of the rights of our citizenship.”

The debate has sparked strong feelings across the country. A petition opposing the introduction of ID cards had already gathered more than 575,000 signatures by early Friday. However, opinion polls suggest a majority of the British public supports the concept of a digital ID, particularly if it is free and designed to cut red tape.

Currently, Britons rely on passports, driving licences, and utility bills as ad hoc forms of identification depending on the context. Starmer’s government says a digital ID would replace this patchwork with a single, secure system.

Acknowledging public unease, ministers have pledged that the scheme will not exclude those without smartphones and that alternative formats will be made available. A public consultation will launch later this year to gather views on how the service should be delivered.

See also  U.S. C-17 Transport Planes Touch Down in Maiduguri to Begin Major Troop Deployment

“The public consultation will engage with groups who aren’t as experienced with the digital world, like the homeless and older people, learning from other countries that have done this well,” the government statement said.

Officials insist the system will not only strengthen Britain’s immigration enforcement but also help modernise government services, streamline interactions with citizens, and enhance trust in public institutions.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Sheikh Gumi criticises US airstrikes in Nigeria, calls for alternative partners

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu hails Nigeria’s growth in health, tech, defence since independence
Continue Reading

Trending