Connect with us

News

It’s absurd to seek UN Security Council seat amid insecurity – ADC to Tinubu

Published

on

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has faulted President Bola Tinubu’s push for Nigeria to secure a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council, saying the move is absurd while the country continues to struggle with worsening insecurity.

In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi on Sunday, the party said it was wrong for the government to be asking for global responsibilities when it cannot protect the lives of its own citizens.

“It is shocking that the Tinubu administration is asking for a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council while bandits are slaughtering Nigerians and taking over parts of the country,” the ADC said.

“How can a government that cannot provide peace or security at home expect to be taken seriously at the global table where security is discussed?”

“Just last Friday, gunmen attacked a mosque in Yandoto village, Zamfara State, killing worshippers and abducting others. Only weeks earlier, about 45 people were killed in Zamfara, entire villages were sacked, and dozens kidnapped. In Katsina, a similar attack left about 47 people dead with many more injured or taken hostage,” the party added.

“In only two months, over 140 Nigerians have been murdered in Zamfara and Katsina alone. Amnesty International reported that more than 10,000 lives have been lost since May 2025 to attacks by armed groups. These are not statistics; they are human beings, Nigerians this administration promised renewed hope.”

According to the statement, the ADC had last month raised the alarm that armed groups in Zamfara State had forced farmers to pay over N56 million before being allowed access to their farmlands.

See also  Nigeria owes you more than many will ever know.- President Tinubu tells his wife, Remi, as she turns 65

The party argued that the scale of lawlessness in the state raises serious questions about Nigeria’s territorial control, noting that when non-state actors impose levies, restrict access to land, and kill without consequences, they function as a parallel authority rather than ordinary criminals.

“This is no longer just about insecurity; it is about Nigeria’s territorial integrity being eroded under President Bola Tinubu,” the ADC said.

“What we see today is not simply a security lapse, but clear evidence, written in blood and innocent lives lost, of a government that has lost control.”

“In any serious country, these tragedies would have led to resignations, emergency meetings, and a complete review of strategy. Here, they are reduced to routine condolence messages from presidential propagandists,” the statement continued.

“It is therefore absurd that the same administration, under whose watch Nigerians are being killed daily and bandits are taking control of territories, now seeks to sit at the highest table of global security discussions.”

“The world is not fooled by fine speeches in New York. They see that parts of Nigeria have become killing fields, where life has become, in truth, nasty, brutish, and short.”

The statement added that Nigeria’s push for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council will continue to be seen as unrealistic until the government proves it can protect its own citizens.

“True leadership on the world stage must begin with responsibility at home, yet the country remains soaked in blood while promises of protection go unfulfilled.”

The ADC also criticised President Bola Tinubu for missing the commissioning of 874 new officers at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna for the second consecutive year.

See also  Lawyer petitions Chief of Air Staff over personnel’s invasion of disputed Abuja property

The party argued that at a time of worsening insecurity, the President should have used the event to inspire the officers and reassure northern communities under attack. Instead, he chose to attend the commissioning of the renovated National Arts Theater in Lagos, which the party described as a misplaced priority.

“With all these signals, this administration is plagued by misplaced priorities. The President has become a passive spectator, watching from a distance while villages burn and prayers end in gunfire,” the ADC said.

“With such tragic indifference, this government risks creating the dangerous perception that some Nigerian lives matter less than others. A President who was quick to declare a state of emergency over a political crisis in Rivers, but remains silent on the killings in Zamfara and Katsina, cannot claim that all lives matter.”

“We therefore repeat our call for the immediate declaration of a state of emergency in Zamfara State. The siege on that state must end, and the tide of bloodshed must be stopped.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Kaduna community thanks Sani for settling bandit attack victims’ bills

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Lawyer petitions Chief of Air Staff over personnel’s invasion of disputed Abuja property

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Lawyer petitions Chief of Air Staff over personnel’s invasion of disputed Abuja property
Continue Reading

Trending