Connect with us

News

It’s absurd to seek UN Security Council seat amid insecurity – ADC to Tinubu

Published

on

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has faulted President Bola Tinubu’s push for Nigeria to secure a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council, saying the move is absurd while the country continues to struggle with worsening insecurity.

In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi on Sunday, the party said it was wrong for the government to be asking for global responsibilities when it cannot protect the lives of its own citizens.

“It is shocking that the Tinubu administration is asking for a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council while bandits are slaughtering Nigerians and taking over parts of the country,” the ADC said.

“How can a government that cannot provide peace or security at home expect to be taken seriously at the global table where security is discussed?”

“Just last Friday, gunmen attacked a mosque in Yandoto village, Zamfara State, killing worshippers and abducting others. Only weeks earlier, about 45 people were killed in Zamfara, entire villages were sacked, and dozens kidnapped. In Katsina, a similar attack left about 47 people dead with many more injured or taken hostage,” the party added.

“In only two months, over 140 Nigerians have been murdered in Zamfara and Katsina alone. Amnesty International reported that more than 10,000 lives have been lost since May 2025 to attacks by armed groups. These are not statistics; they are human beings, Nigerians this administration promised renewed hope.”

According to the statement, the ADC had last month raised the alarm that armed groups in Zamfara State had forced farmers to pay over N56 million before being allowed access to their farmlands.

See also  Nigeria owes you more than many will ever know.- President Tinubu tells his wife, Remi, as she turns 65

The party argued that the scale of lawlessness in the state raises serious questions about Nigeria’s territorial control, noting that when non-state actors impose levies, restrict access to land, and kill without consequences, they function as a parallel authority rather than ordinary criminals.

“This is no longer just about insecurity; it is about Nigeria’s territorial integrity being eroded under President Bola Tinubu,” the ADC said.

“What we see today is not simply a security lapse, but clear evidence, written in blood and innocent lives lost, of a government that has lost control.”

“In any serious country, these tragedies would have led to resignations, emergency meetings, and a complete review of strategy. Here, they are reduced to routine condolence messages from presidential propagandists,” the statement continued.

“It is therefore absurd that the same administration, under whose watch Nigerians are being killed daily and bandits are taking control of territories, now seeks to sit at the highest table of global security discussions.”

“The world is not fooled by fine speeches in New York. They see that parts of Nigeria have become killing fields, where life has become, in truth, nasty, brutish, and short.”

The statement added that Nigeria’s push for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council will continue to be seen as unrealistic until the government proves it can protect its own citizens.

“True leadership on the world stage must begin with responsibility at home, yet the country remains soaked in blood while promises of protection go unfulfilled.”

The ADC also criticised President Bola Tinubu for missing the commissioning of 874 new officers at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna for the second consecutive year.

See also  Tinubu declares state of emergency on insecurity as NASS rejects bandit negotiations

The party argued that at a time of worsening insecurity, the President should have used the event to inspire the officers and reassure northern communities under attack. Instead, he chose to attend the commissioning of the renovated National Arts Theater in Lagos, which the party described as a misplaced priority.

“With all these signals, this administration is plagued by misplaced priorities. The President has become a passive spectator, watching from a distance while villages burn and prayers end in gunfire,” the ADC said.

“With such tragic indifference, this government risks creating the dangerous perception that some Nigerian lives matter less than others. A President who was quick to declare a state of emergency over a political crisis in Rivers, but remains silent on the killings in Zamfara and Katsina, cannot claim that all lives matter.”

“We therefore repeat our call for the immediate declaration of a state of emergency in Zamfara State. The siege on that state must end, and the tide of bloodshed must be stopped.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  I never asked soldiers to remove meat from meals, activist replies defence minister

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ogun lawmaker, community chiefs clash over monarch’s selection
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Tinubu declares state of emergency on insecurity as NASS rejects bandit negotiations

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending