Connect with us

News

ECOWAS revives regional blue economy strategy

Published

on

The Economic Community of West African States has restarted efforts to finalise its long-pending Regional Blue Economy Strategy, beginning with a high-level consultative workshop held on Monday in Abuja.

The workshop gathered key representatives from ECOWAS member states, regional economic bodies, and continental institutions to review and validate the draft strategy, which has been inactive since its initial development in 2022.

The blue economy—covering marine resources, aquaculture, maritime transport, ocean conservation, and climate adaptation—is regarded as essential for sustainable growth across West Africa.

The initial draft was created under the Programme for Improved Regional Fisheries Governance in Western Africa, but had since stalled due to administrative delays.

The Programme Officer for Fishery Development and Focal Person for Blue Economy at ECOWAS, Djiga Thiao, delivered remarks on behalf of the outgoing Director of Agriculture and Rural Development, Alain Traoré.

Thiao warmly welcomed participants to Abuja and underscored the strategic importance of regional cooperation on marine resource management.

He highlighted the interconnected nature of marine sectors and the need for policy alignment.

“You know that the marine resources and the water resources are the crossroads of many sectors—fisheries, aquaculture, shipping—also in the context of climate change and sustainable livelihood that we need to get from these resources. So we need to have harmonised policies and guiding policies to get the best benefit from these resources.

“That’s why we need a blue economy strategy. It is highly important for ECOWAS to have a regional one.

He acknowledged the historical gap in progress.

See also  FULL TEXT - Tinubu’s 65th Independence Day address to Nigerians

“I should remind you that we had a draft since 2022 that was pending. I think that was during the PESCAO project. And unfortunately, after the PESCAO project, this draft was staying just like it is so far.”

Despite the delay, Thiao emphasised that the strategy remains a top priority within the ECOWAS Commission.

“The Commissioner said she wanted this blue economy strategy to be one of ECOWAS’ biggest legacies. Unfortunately, she is leaving us tomorrow and as well as the director.

“But like the French people say, les personnes partent, les institutions demeurent. So this blue economy will still be a big priority for the new director and Commissioner who are coming. And that’s why we are fully committed to making this process of review and validation very successful.”

He stressed the shared responsibility among stakeholders.

“This work we are doing, if we get success, it will be our success together. But if we fail, we will fail together. So, you delegate from the member state and on our side from ECOWAS, we have the duty to work closely with the experts so that we get this blue economy strategy, a draft that will be validated later.”

Thiao thanked the African Union-InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources for its swift support.

The Blue Economy Advisor at the African Union Commission, Linda Etta, spoke virtually on behalf of Hassan Nyambe, Director, Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy Division, AUC.

“The African Union Commission is deeply committed to supporting member states and regional economic communities in translating the strategic ambitions into tangible outcomes.

See also  VIDEO: Lagos begins probe as ambulance hits woman during Lagos marathon

“Initiatives like the ECOWAS regional blue economy strategy are critical to ensuring policy harmonisation, shared best practices, and investment mobilisation across our region,” she said.

A Blue Economy Expert at AU-IBAR, Dr Mohammed Seisay, reinforced the AU’s commitment to national and regional efforts.

“One of the decisions taken was to support AU members and regional economic communities so that they are able to have their own respective blue economy strategy.

“We started with four countries. Then we supported another 11 countries. We have also been supporting regional economic communities,” he noted.

Seisay also highlighted recent support to Burkina Faso. “It was on that basis that we supported Burkina Faso to develop its national blue economy strategy. So this support is timely for that region.”

Participants at the workshop included representatives from AU-IBAR, the AUC, the Fisheries Committee for the West Central Gulf of Guinea, and national delegates from across ECOWAS member states, alongside technical experts working on the strategy’s finalisation.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  IPOB backs designation of Nigeria as Country of Particular Concern, demands probe of South-East killings

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Wike, Military Officers Clash Over Alleged Land Grab In Abuja

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  As North’s religionists fritter away Tinubu’s goodwill
Continue Reading

Trending