Connect with us

News

Opposition slams govt as states’ IGR soars by 50%

Published

on

The surge in subnational revenue has drawn mixed reactions from stakeholders nationwide, including labour union leaders and opposition parties, many of whom have criticised poor revenue management and the neglect of key projects at both federal and state levels.

This follows Monday’s release of Internally Generated Revenue data by the National Bureau of Statistics, showing that states’ combined revenue jumped by 50 per cent to N3.63tn in 2024, even as dependence on monthly disbursements from the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee persisted.

Twelve states recorded over 50 per cent revenue growth, while 24 states posted less than 50 per cent, underscoring the structural weakness of state economies and their reliance on FAAC allocations.

Labour leaders, opposition parties, and civil society groups who spoke to The PUNCH in separate interviews acknowledged the impressive growth in IGR but questioned its transparency and impact on citizens’ welfare.

Labour unions accused some state governments of failing to translate higher revenues into tangible development outcomes, alleging that workers’ welfare, infrastructure, and public services remain neglected despite record earnings. The Nigeria Labour Congress in several states described the growth as “paper gains”, arguing that it had not translated into improved salaries, pension settlements, or better healthcare services.

Opposition politicians also questioned the fiscal discipline of many governors, alleging that despite unprecedented inflows, budget performance and capital projects remained weak. They called on anti-graft agencies and auditors to investigate how states manage their revenues, insisting that citizens must see clear value for every naira generated.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State said there was nothing on the ground to reflect the increased federal allocation to the state following fuel subsidy removal.

See also  Ezekwesili slams N’Assembly’s constitutional amendment as charade

The party’s Publicity Secretary, Arc. Kayode Adebayo, told The PUNCH that while allocations to states had risen substantially, the Dapo Abiodun administration had “nothing significant to show”.

“Our roads are bad, and local governments, the tier closest to the people, have nothing to show. They can’t even clear drainages,” Adebayo said. “Local government autonomy exists only on paper. The governors are not in tune with President Bola Tinubu’s position on its implementation. Residents are not feeling the impact of these increased funds.”

Trade Union Congress Chairman, Comrade Akeem Lasisi, echoed similar sentiments, noting that many states had failed to make judicious use of the increased revenue.

“The general public is yet to feel the full impact. The government must prioritise workers’ welfare and projects that directly benefit residents, such as infrastructure, healthcare, and education,” he said.

In Sokoto, PDP Chairman Hon. Aliyu Goronyo accused Governor Ahmed Aliyu’s administration of mismanaging state revenue and abandoning legacy projects initiated by the previous government.

“Despite increased inflows, there’s no single legacy project to the government’s name,” Goronyo said. “Every project we started that had direct impact on people, from the Teaching Hospital to market developments, has been abandoned.”

He also alleged worsening insecurity and unemployment, claiming that over 2,000 health workers employed by the former administration had been dismissed. “Even after a year, many local government chairmen have no official vehicles,” he added.

Opposition parties and labour leaders in Benue State faulted Governor Hyacinth Alia’s performance despite “huge resources” accruing to the state.

PDP Chairman Hon. Ezekiel Adaji described the governor as “a total failure”, accusing him of prioritising political battles over governance. Labour Party Chairman Ibrahim Idoko also criticised the government, saying, “Payment of salaries and pensions is a basic duty, not an achievement.”

See also  Why China Opposes US’ Threat Of Military Intervention In Nigeria — Experts

He added that ongoing road projects were not commensurate with the state’s revenue and accused the government of neglecting local contractors who could stimulate the economy.

In contrast, Plateau State NLC Chairman Eugene Mangji commended Governor Caleb Mutfwang for regular payment of workers’ salaries and implementation of the minimum wage.

He said, “As labour, our concern is prompt payment. The governor has met that expectation.” However, he declined to comment on budget utilisation, saying the NLC lacked oversight in that area.

The NLC in Kano praised Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for prudent fiscal management. Chairman Kabiru Inuwa noted that “workers suffered under the previous administration, but this government has cleared arrears and paid N27bn of N48bn in gratuities.”

However, the SDP Chairman, Alhaji Ali Shettima, accused the government of “misplaced priorities”, saying it focused on flyovers rather than water supply and agriculture. “Only 15 per cent of residents have potable water,” he lamented.

Bayelsa TUC Chairman, Comrade Julius Laye, urged Governor Douye Diri to channel more funds into health and education despite progress in infrastructure.

He lauded the administration for constructing roads, acquiring aircraft, and paying gratuities but warned, “Hospitals are losing staff through retirements; without new recruitment, service delivery will suffer.”

In Zamfara, NLC Secretary Ahmed Abubakar said several ongoing projects suggested better governance, but APC spokesman Yusuf Idris alleged that development efforts were concentrated in Governor Dauda Lawal’s hometown, Gusau.

In Jigawa, NLC Chairman Sanusi Maigatari described IGR growth as encouraging but urged greater transparency. PDP Deputy Chairman Umar Danjani demanded an independent audit, saying, “We see rising figures but no visible impact.” Labour Party chieftain Ashiru Dalhatu also bemoaned poor infrastructure and unemployment.

See also  Kwankwaso, others may face US visa ban over religious freedom violations

The Bauchi TUC praised Governor Bala Mohammed’s administration for prudence and prompt payment of the N70,000 minimum wage.

State Chairman Sabiu Barau said, “Every local government has benefited from infrastructure upgrades. This is responsible governance.”

Despite overall growth, 24 states recorded less than 50 per cent IGR increase in 2024, raising concerns about fiscal dependence on FAAC.

FAAC data showed that the 36 states and the FCT collectively received N5.08tn from the Federation Account in 2024, well above their combined IGR of N3.63tn.

Among low performers were Adamawa, Anambra, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Delta, Edo, Ekiti, FCT, Gombe, Imo, Kaduna, Katsina, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Plateau, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara. Some states, including Ondo, Ebonyi, and Yobe, even reported revenue declines.

In contrast, high performers such as Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Enugu, Jigawa, Kano, Kebbi, Lagos, Osun, Rivers, and Taraba recorded growth of 50 per cent or more.

Lagos, Rivers, and the FCT remained Nigeria’s top revenue generators, accounting for more than 40 per cent of the national total.

Enugu State led percentage growth, rising by 433 per cent from N33.86bn to N180.50bn, followed by Bayelsa’s 222 per cent and Kano’s 100 per cent.

Fiscal analysts attributed Enugu’s rise to reforms in land administration and automation, while Bayelsa’s growth was driven by improved oil-related levies.

Despite such gains, experts warned that without stronger fiscal accountability, many states risk continuing a cycle of revenue growth without visible development.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Why China Opposes US’ Threat Of Military Intervention In Nigeria — Experts

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Margaret Obi Emerges As High Court Judge In England, Wales

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Japan designates city as hometown for Nigerians
Continue Reading

Trending