Connect with us

News

Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved the presidential pardon of Nigerian nationalist, Herbert Macaulay, late Major-General, Mamman Vatsa, and former lawmaker, Farouk Lawan, alongside 14 others, following the endorsement of the National Council of State.

It was reports that the decision was announced in Abuja on Thursday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, who said the move was aimed at decongesting prisons and advancing restorative justice.

Macaulay, widely regarded as the father of Nigerian nationalism, was posthumously pardoned decades after his 1913 conviction by colonial authorities, which barred him from public office. He died in 1946, but the stain of the sentence had remained on record.

Similarly, Vatsa, a poet and member of the Supreme Military Council executed in 1986 under General Ibrahim Babangida for alleged coup plotting, was pardoned nearly four decades after his controversial death.

The President also pardoned Farouk Lawan, a former House of Representatives member jailed for bribery, as well as Anastasia Daniel Nwaobia, Hussaini Umar, and Ayinla Saadu Alanamu, who were described as having shown “sufficient remorse” and readiness to reintegrate into society.

In addition, Nweke Francis Chibueze, serving a life term for cocaine trafficking, and Nwogu Peters, who had spent 12 years of a 17-year fraud sentence, were freed under the clemency.

Overall, the Council approved presidential mercy for 82 inmates, reduced the sentences of 65 others, and commuted seven death sentences to life imprisonment.

Ogoni Nine And Ogoni Four Honoured

In a symbolic gesture, Tinubu granted formal pardons to the Ogoni Nine, led by environmental activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, who were executed in 1995 under General Sani Abacha’s regime.

See also  What is in France? Unpacking Tinubu’s many trips

Posthumous national honours were also awarded to the Ogoni Four, Albert Badey, Edward Kobani, Samuel Orage, and Theophilus Orage, recognised for their activism in the Niger Delta struggle.

The clemency followed the report of the Presidential Advisory Committee on the Prerogative of Mercy (PACPM), chaired by the Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN).

Other members included Akinlolu Olujinmi, Alkasum Abba, Nike Sidikat Ijaiya, Augustine Utsaha, and Onwusoro Maduka (secretary), alongside representatives of the police, correctional service, National Human Rights Commission, NSCIA, and CAN.

The committee, inaugurated by SGF George Akume in January 2025, reviewed 294 applications and interviewed 175 inmates. Its recommendations were guided by criteria such as old age, terminal illness, long sentences, good conduct, and rehabilitation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Renowned Evangelist Uma Ukpai Dies at 80

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Margaret Obi Emerges As High Court Judge In England, Wales

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Margaret Obi Emerges As High Court Judge In England, Wales
Continue Reading

Trending