Connect with us

News

Court reschedules Natasha’s cybercrime trial to November 24

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja has rescheduled the cybercrime trial of the Senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, to November 24.

The new hearing date was fixed on October 21, following the resumption of court activities that were stalled the previous day due to the #FreeNnamdiKanu protest organised by activist Omoyele Sowore.

The protest had disrupted proceedings on October 20, the initial date slated for the trial in the Court.

On Monday, Justice Umar’s courtroom, located on the third floor of the Federal High Court, was under lock and key as judicial activities were grounded.

Akpoti-Uduaghan, in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/195/2025, is alleged to have transmitted false and injurious information via electronic means with the intent to malign, incite, endanger lives, and breach public order.

The senator is accused of alleging, during a gathering on April 4 in Ihima, Kogi State, that the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, instructed former Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello, to have her killed in the state.

She was further alleged to have repeated the claims during a television interview, stating that both men plotted to eliminate her in Kogi.

The charge was brought under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.

Justice Umar had earlier, on September 22, adjourned the matter following an objection raised by the defence.

Akpoti-Uduaghan was arraigned on June 30 on a six-count charge filed by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Mohammed Abubakar.

She was granted bail thereafter, and the case was adjourned to September 22 for commencement of trial.

See also  Rivers and Lagos top states where minors consume sachet alcohol

However, on the last adjourned date, when prosecuting counsel David Kaswe was about to call the first witness, the defence counsel, Ehiogie West-Idahosa, raised a preliminary objection challenging the court’s jurisdiction.

West-Idahosa told the court that the objection was not against the nature of the charge but on grounds of alleged abuse of prosecutorial powers by the Attorney General of the Federation.

He also complained that the defence had not been served with the statements of the prosecution witnesses.

Although Kaswe argued that the objection should not stall the day’s proceedings, Justice Umar ruled that the prosecution must first respond to the defence’s objection before the case could proceed.

The judge said he would determine the objection before taking any further steps in the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Navy rescues 20 crew members as vessel catches fire in Cross River

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  LASWA raises alarm over 611 sub-standard boats on Lagos waterways

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  US Embassy warns citizens ahead of #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja
Continue Reading

Trending