Connect with us

News

Presidential pardon: AGF orders multi-agency probe

Published

on

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has ordered a multi-agency review of the proposed presidential pardon list.

Involved in the probe of the list are the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency and the police.

The exercise may result in more than half of the nominees being dropped.

President Bola Tinubu is said to be awaiting the submission of the vetted list for his final endorsement, amid efforts to ensure only eligible beneficiaries were cleared.

The President had, in the exercise of his constitutional powers, granted clemency to 175 persons convicted of various offences.

The pardon was announced by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), at the Council of State meeting held on Thursday, October 9, 2025.

Fagbemi (SAN) listed illegal miners, white-collar convicts, drug offenders, foreigners, Maj Gen Mamman Vatsa, Prof Magaji Garba, Ken Saro-Wiwa and the Ogoni Eight, as well as capital offenders such as Maryam Sanda, among the 175 convicts and former convicts who received presidential pardon.

The full list was released in a statement from the Presidency on Saturday, October 11, 2025.

The list of beneficiaries was divided into six categories: Those granted pardon, posthumous pardon (including the Ogoni Nine), victims of the Ogoni Nine honoured, presidential clemency (clemency beneficiaries), inmates recommended for reduced terms of imprisonment, and inmates on death row whose sentences were commuted to life imprisonment.

However, the inclusion of some names on the list sparked controversy, as security, law enforcement, and anti-graft agencies opposed the presence of certain high-profile offenders.

See also  Fubara sacks commissioners, others

The EFCC, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, NDLEA, police, among others, reportedly moved to halt the release of some individuals on the list.

On October 16, Fagbemi (SAN), however, clarified that the presidential prerogative of mercy recently announced by the President was still under review and had not been finalised.

His clarification came as some officials alleged that some low-level officers on the committee ‘smuggled in’ names not originally recommended for clemency.

“Some low-level officers at the level of the committee smuggled in some names. Obviously, the President is unaware of some of the names on that list.

“They have now sent the list to NDLEA and other security agencies for review. Some of the names on the list did not meet the criteria. Some low-level officers bypassed the criteria.

“In fact, some of the cases are still fresh. The good thing is that they are still in custody; they have not been released,” an official of one of the security agencies told The PUNCH on condition of anonymity.

Multiple top Federal Government officials with direct knowledge of the matter confirmed that the list, currently undergoing a rigorous screening process, had been sent to the EFCC, ICPC, NDLEA, and police, among other agencies, for comprehensive background checks by the office of the Attorney General.

A top official in the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation told The PUNCH that the process was deliberately designed to prevent a repeat of past controversies surrounding questionable pardons.

“The review is still ongoing. The Office of the Attorney General has circulated the list to all relevant agencies for proper vetting,” the senior official said.

See also  Christianity facing existential threat in Nigeria, Trump insists

He stressed that the move was in line with President Bola Tinubu’s directive to ensure due diligence and transparency.

An official in the Presidency with knowledge of the matter also revealed that the outcome of the reviews could lead to the removal of a large number of nominees from the list.

“From what I’ve seen, more than half of the names are likely to be dropped once the agencies complete their findings. The government doesn’t want anyone with unresolved corruption or criminal cases to benefit from the process,” the source said.

Similarly, a senior Federal Government official hinted that the NDLEA, EFCC, and ICPC had already begun submitting preliminary observations about certain names on the list, some of whom were reportedly under active investigation.

“The list is now being reviewed by the agencies. Each one is cross-checking the background of the nominees. It’s a standard integrity test before the final list is forwarded to the President for approval,” the official stated.

The Special Assistant on Communication and Publicity to the Attorney General of the Federation, Kamorudeen Ogundele, could not immediately commence on the review when contacted by The PUNCH.

“Yes, the review is ongoing. The ministry is working with relevant agencies to ensure that the process meets all legal and ethical standards,” Ogundele said.

Findings by The PUNCH revealed that the latest scrutiny followed internal concerns within government circles that some individuals recommended for pardon had pending corruption or drug-related cases before law enforcement agencies.

Some names of Politically-Exposed Persons on the list, like Herbert Macaulay, Farouk Lawan, among others, may scale through, as they were not linked to violent crimes and security breaches.

See also  APC and opposition clash over FG’s revenue growth claim

Others like Maryam Sanda, who was convicted in 2017 for stabbing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, to death, would be reviewed.

While some members of Bello’s family rejected the pardon for Maryam, the father, Alhaji Bello Isa, alongside Maryam’s father, Alhaji Garba Sanda, addressed a press conference to accept the presidential pardon.

Also on the list was Major Alabi Akubo, who was sentenced to life imprisonment for illegal possession of prohibited firearms, among others.

There was also one Kelvin Prosper Oniarah, whose kidnapping terror spanned Delta, Edo, Rivers, Abia, Benue, and Oyo states, with detention camps in Warri and Kokori (Delta), Ugbokolo (Benue), Benin City (Edo), and Aba (Abia).

A top official in the Presidency told The PUNCH that the government was determined to ensure that only deserving cases made the final cut.

“This government wants to ensure that no name slips through without clearance from all relevant agencies,” the top official said.

The final list, expected after the completion of all security and integrity checks, will be forwarded to the President for approval.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FULL LIST: US stops Nigerians, others from applying for green card, citizenship

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Boost climate action funding, Tinubu urges World Bank, IMF
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Boost climate action funding, Tinubu urges World Bank, IMF

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Life jail for Nnamdi Kanu: S’East leaders rally for political solution

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending