Connect with us

Sports

Aje School win big at Lagos Handball tourney

Published

on

Aje Senior High School successfully defended their title at the 2025 Opeifa Cup, Lagos State Secondary Schools Handball Competition, defeating Whitesand College 16-9 in the senior boys’ final on Friday at the Mobolaji Johnson Sports Centre, Rowe Park, Yaba.

The defending champions came into the battle with a lot of experience, full of confidence, precision and clinical finishes in front of goal, maintaining their rhythm to secure a back-to-back victory.

In the senior girls’ category final, United Christian College defeated Jagunmolu Senior girls 1-0 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Meanwhile, in the junior category final, Aje Comprehensive Junior College beat Whitesand Junior College 8-3, whilst Herbert Macaulay defeated Igbobi College 7-6 in the girls’ category.

Speaking after cruising to the final earlier in the week, Captain of Aje Senior High School, David Ayobami, said he was very excited to be part of the 2025 Lagos Handball Competition, particularly representing his school at this level.

“When the game started, I was very scared because all eyes were on Aje School. They want to see how we’re going to do it as a formidable team, but we were able to beat our opponents,” Ayobami said.

Ayobami noted that with the support of his teammates and instructions from their coach, they were confident of winning the title in the senior category.

The championship, which took place from October 27 to 31, serves as yet another platform to promote the game through the school system whilst providing students with an opportunity to combine education and sports.

See also  Galatasaray Set To Unveil Osimhen, Leroy Sane Before Lazio Friendly At RAMS Park

Former Chairperson of Lagos State Handball Association and sponsor of the championship, Mrs Adeola Opeifa, noted the programme has contributed significantly to the development of handball in the state and generally in the country.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Boxer Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement

Published

on

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has announced he is coming out of retirement and will return to professional boxing following his upcoming exhibition bout with Mike Tyson.

The 48-year-old former multi-weight world champion retired in 2017 with an unbeaten record of 50 fights, though he has continued to participate in exhibition contests. “I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing,” Mayweather said in a statement to AFP.

From my upcoming Mike Tyson event to my next professional fight afterwards, no one will generate a bigger gate, have a larger global broadcast audience and generate more money with each event, then (sic) my events.”

Mayweather confirmed that his first professional fight since 2017 is tentatively scheduled for this summer, with the opponent yet to be announced. Further details are expected “in the coming weeks,” according to the statement.

Nicknamed “Money,” Mayweather was once the world’s highest-paid athlete, earning $300 million in 2015, according to Forbes. At his peak, he was widely regarded as boxing’s pound-for-pound king, dominating the welterweight division for over a decade.

His last professional fight came in 2017 against former UFC champion Conor McGregor, a crossover bout that drew global attention.

Since retiring, Mayweather has remained active in exhibition fights, including a victory over John Gotti III in Mexico in August 2024, as well as appearances against reality television personalities and YouTube fighters.

He has signed an exclusive agreement with promoter CSI Sports/Fight Sports to launch his professional return following the Tyson exhibition.

See also  Tuchel apologises to Bellingham over ‘repulsive’ blast

Boxing outlet Ring Magazine has reported that Mayweather’s exhibition fight with Tyson is scheduled for April 25 in the Democratic Republic of Congo, although neither the date nor venue has been officially confirmed.

Tyson, 59, last fought in November 2024 in Texas, losing decisively to YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in a Netflix-backed event attended by approximately 70,000 spectators, with millions more watching worldwide.

Mayweather’s career has been marked by both sporting success and controversy. While praised for his fitness, technical skill and ring intelligence, he has faced criticism over his defensive style and past legal issues. His return to professional competition is expected to draw significant global attention.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2025: Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

Published

on

Moroccan prosecutors on Thursday sought jail terms of up to two years for 18 Senegalese football fans imprisoned in Rabat since last month’s AFCON final over “hooliganism”, an AFP journalist reported.

Seeking the maximum penalty for some, the prosecution told the court that the defendants had “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match”.

It said the group “committed acts of violence broadcast live on television”, while the defendants have denied any wrongdoing.

The Senegalese fans have been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf.

Minutes before the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted a pitch invasion, while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes to protest a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

Some fans were also seen throwing objects onto the field, including a chair.

The prosecution said evidence against the defendants was based on footage from surveillance cameras at the stadium, as well as medical reports documenting injuries among security forces and stadium stewards.

Material damage to the stadium was estimated at more than 4 million Moroccan dirhams ($430,000), the prosecution said.

Morocco is set to co-host the 2030 World Cup alongside Spain and Portugal.

AFP

See also  Flamingos Of Nigeria To Battle Italy In FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup Knockout Stage
Continue Reading

Sports

W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict

Published

on

World football governing body FIFA is yet to deliver its verdict on the petition submitted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), alleging that DR Congo fielded ineligible players during last November’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs, The PUNCH reports.

Nigerians were kept on edge on Monday in anticipation of the ruling, as the intercontinental play-offs are scheduled to take place from March 26 to 31 in Mexico.

The Super Eagles missed out on automatic qualification during the qualifying series last year but advanced to the African play-offs, where they were eventually beaten by DR Congo on penalties.

Several unconfirmed reports circulated on Monday regarding the team’s fate, but NFF President Ibrahim Gusau said the federation was still awaiting communication from FIFA.

“We are still waiting to hear from FIFA. We are hopeful, by the grace of God,” Gusau said.

DR Congo have been drawn to face the winner of the tie between New Caledonia and Jamaica for a chance to secure one of the two available World Cup slots.

As the play-offs approach, a verdict from FIFA is expected soon, with the NFF maintaining confidence in its case.

“We believe that we have a chance; that is why we petitioned. If we knew we didn’t have a chance, we wouldn’t have petitioned. That is our submission — it is now left to FIFA to decide,” the NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, told The PUNCH.

Nigeria’s protest is based on the alleged improper switch of nationality by some DR Congo players.

According to FIFA statutes, a player may request to change the association they are eligible to represent only once. The process requires a written and substantiated application, carried out in line with domestic regulations and approved by FIFA’s Players’ Status Committee.

See also  Nigeria’s D’Tigress Win Fifth Consecutive AfroBasket Title, Extend 10-Year Unbeaten Run

FIFA regulations require a player to hold a passport of the new country they wish to represent — even if they also possess another nationality. However, Congolese law does not permit dual nationality, a point believed to be central to Nigeria’s complaint.

Like the NFF, there remains a sense of hope among the players.

“We’re still waiting — hopefully we can go to the World Cup,” midfielder Alex Iwobi said recently.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, suggested that the final recourse for either Nigeria or DR Congo could be the Court of Arbitration for Sport after FIFA delivers its decision.

“It requires a lot of things, and by the time it is finally decided, whether Nigeria wins or DR Congo wins, I believe the case might even go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” Dikko said in Morocco last month.

“For us, we are waiting to see how it goes. All I know is that FIFA is still handling the petition,” he added.

The 2026 World Cup will be held from June 11 to July 19 across 16 cities in the three host countries.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending