Connect with us

News

Doctors dispute FG’s N11.9bn payout, strike continues

Published

on

The President of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, Dr. Muhammad Suleiman, has faulted the Federal Government’s claim that it is releasing N11.9bn within 72 hours for the payment of outstanding arrears and allowances to doctors and other health workers across the country.

Suleiman, who spoke exclusively with The PUNCH on Sunday, said only about N500m of the said amount is meant for resident doctors.

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare had on Saturday announced in a statement signed by its Deputy Director and Head of Information and Public Relations, Alaba Balogun, that the government would release N11.9bn for the payment of arrears, including accoutrement allowance, as part of measures to address the welfare concerns of doctors and restore industrial harmony in the health sector.

The ministry’s statement came amid a nationwide strike by resident doctors, who on Saturday withdrew their services across 91 federal and state tertiary hospitals over unpaid arrears, delayed allowances, and other welfare-related issues.

However, reacting to the ministry’s claims, Suleiman said both the 25–35 per cent arrears and the accoutrement allowance are longstanding entitlements that date back over two years and belong to all categories of health workers, not just doctors.

“The 25–35 per cent arrears have been pending for over two years and belong to all cadres in the health sector, including those in the Ministry of Health, its agencies, and even administrative staff. The total bill for that review was supposed to be N48bn, but government said it’s N41bn. In August, they released N10bn; two weeks ago, another N10bn; and last week, N21.3bn, totaling N41bn. Out of that, the portion that goes to all doctors is about N11bn, and resident doctors get less than N10bn since we are about 60 per cent of all doctors.

See also  FATF removes Nigeria from global financial watchlist

“It’s only N6bn that was agreed to be released in 72 hours, not N11.9bn. I don’t know where they are bringing N11.95bn from. We don’t know any N11.9bn. What we agreed with the Federal Government is that N2.9bn will be released within 72 hours for accoutrement allowance, and even that accoutrement is for all doctors.

“Out of that N2.9bn, about N500m is coming to resident doctors. Another N2.4bn is for consultants non-clinical duty allowance, and N400m is for other health workers as COVID-19 arrears. So the total is about N6bn, not N11.9bn,” Suleiman explained.

He insisted that the accoutrement allowance was not a new intervention, but an old entitlement owed to doctors,not just resident doctors.

“Some of these arrears have been there for over two years; it’s not peculiar to doctors alone. It covers everyone in the health sector, including administrative staff,” he stated.

He accused the ministry of generalising payments to create the impression that government had met all of NARD’s demands.

“From what I know, only about N500m of what is being released affects resident doctors directly,” he noted.

On the dismissal of five doctors at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja, which the ministry said was under review by a government-appointed negotiator, Prof. Dafe Otobo, the NARD President noted that the association was not consulted and had no knowledge of the process.

“We don’t know the professor they mentioned. We don’t know the criteria he is using or the documents he has been given. Those five doctors were all union leaders. They were targeted because of their union activities,” he said.

See also  Fire guts shops in three-storey building in Anambra

He added that the association had only requested the reinstatement of the affected doctors, not litigation.

“We didn’t want to litigate the issue. We only asked the Ministry of Health to reinstate them. Even the ministry admitted that some of them were terminated without due process, yet they are talking about review again. There are more questions than answers,” Suleiman said.

He also challenged the ministry’s claim on recruitment figures, demanding transparency and accountability.

“They said 20,000 health workers were recruited last year and another 15,000 this year. They should give you the breakdown of how many are doctors, how many are nurses, and where are they now? Those are the pertinent questions.

“The ministry should address the root issues raised by the association. That press release tries to make doctors look ungrateful and greedy, as if all we want is money. But our issues go beyond financial matters. We have 19 outstanding demands, many of which are administrative and can be resolved with a single memo,” he said.

Suleiman, however, commended the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy,  Wale Edun, for his swift response to the financial aspects of the doctors’ grievances.

“I must appreciate Mr. Wale Edun. He took charge immediately, and issues on his table are being addressed. But the Ministry of Health is a different story. Their language and attitude show they’re not genuinely interested in resolving these problems,” he said.

The NARD president appealed to President Bola Tinubu to intervene in the matter.

“We are calling on the President to speak to those in the Ministry of Health. Just as he directed the Minister of Finance to handle his side of the problems, we are pleading that he ensures the health ministry genuinely engages us and resolves the issues on their table,” he added.

See also  Channel my birthday gifts to the poor – Peter Obi to supporters

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that Nigerians owe no one an apology for seeking assistance from the international community to tackle the country’s persistent insecurity, stressing that lives are being lost daily regardless of religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.

Speaking on Friday night at the ongoing Plateau Unity Christmas Carols and Praise Festival in Jos, Obasanjo urged the Nigerian government to urgently deploy modern technology to curb killings, noting that no criminal should be beyond the reach of security agencies.

In these days of technology, there should be nobody who can hide after committing a crime,” he said.

Before I left government, we had the capacity to pick up anybody in Nigeria once identified… Every Nigerian life matters, whether Christian, Muslim or pagan. Nigerians are being killed; this must stop.
He insisted that Nigerians have the right to seek international partnerships if domestic efforts fall short, arguing that saving lives must remain the nation’s priority.

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, also addressed the gathering, reassuring citizens that Nigeria would overcome its current trials.

By the grace of God, those who want Nigeria destroyed will not succeed,” he declared, praying that national and state leaders continue to receive strength and wisdom to act rightly.

The governor explained that the annual carol event was inspired by the vision of uniting the people of Plateau through worship and thanksgiving.

God is delighted when we come together in unity to exalt His name. Despite all odds, we are gathered again this year to celebrate the goodness of God in the land of the living,” he said.

See also  ‘I Am Not Sure I Am Going To Make Heaven’ – Donald Trump

Mutfwang welcomed dignitaries in attendance, including Obasanjo; General Lawrence Onoja (rtd.); former Plateau Governors Joshua Dariye and Jonah Jang (with his wife, Ngo Talatu); former Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen; former Adamawa State Governor, Boni Haruna; former Chief of Defence Staff, General Martin Luther Agwai (rtd.); and the GOC 3 Division, Major General Folorunsho Oyinlola.

“Expressing delight in the diversity of worshippers, the governor said Plateau citizens had put aside denominational differences to worship under one banner.““With unity, we will shut the door against the enemy that troubles us,” he said.“The event featured ministrations from renowned gospel artistes including Buchi, Uche Etiaba, Pastor Chingtok, and choirs drawn from various denominations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

‘Moles sabotaging military war against banditry’

Published

on

Retired senior military officers have stated that internal compromises, infiltration, and weak enforcement of security laws are sabotaging the country’s war against banditry and terrorism.

The former military personnel said some officers in the armed forces were working against the system.

They spoke amid growing public concern that breaches within the security services may be driving a resurgence of terror attacks across the country in recent months.

On Wednesday, former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Idris Wase, revealed that suspected Boko Haram members and other criminal elements were once found on the recruitment lists of the Nigerian Army and the police.

In Kebbi State, bandits who abducted dozens of schoolgirls struck less than 30 minutes after troops were withdrawn from the school, a development that has prompted public outrage and demands to identify the officer who ordered the withdrawal.

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, former Troop Commander in the Nigerian Army and immediate past Director of ICT at the Army Signals Headquarters, Gen Peter Aro (retd.), said recent revelations showed that infiltration of the security forces had become an inevitable consequence of a weakened system.

“These developments strongly suggest that Nigeria’s security architecture is grappling with internal compromises that can no longer be dismissed as coincidence,” he said.

Aro added that recruitment should be governed by merit, profiling, and deep vetting, lamenting that political godfathers routinely push candidates forward, bypassing security checks and weakening the integrity of the forces.

Aro said the disclosure that Boko Haram suspects appeared on Army and police recruitment lists showed how deeply “Nigeria’s security gateways have been compromised.”

See also  Channel my birthday gifts to the poor – Peter Obi to supporters

He also criticised the moral contradictions in the country’s handling of public figures, who downplay the crimes of armed groups, warning that such mixed messaging damages national cohesion.

Aro linked operational lapses to possible insider collusion, citing the Kebbi school abduction.

He said, “Nigerians understand timing, and they understand patterns. Such precision is rarely accidental. It raises legitimate questions about whether insiders leaked information or deliberately created a security vacuum.”

The ex-general added that troop withdrawals in conflict zones couldn’t be dismissed as routine mistakes, saying, “In a conflict zone, unexplained troop movement is never a clerical oversight; it is often a marker of internal compromise.”

While noting that moles thrive because the country has failed to treat national security as sacred, Aro said, “The deeper tragedy is that these moles are not appearing by chance; they are the result of a permissive political culture.

“Until Nigeria draws firm moral lines and seals the cracks inside its own institutions, the enemy outside will continue to find willing accomplices within.”

He also faulted the Federal Government’s increasing reliance on negotiations to secure the release of abducted victims.

“These things have become a business in Nigeria. Until we address the internal compromises and strengthen our security institutions, we will keep creating incentives for more abductions,” he added.

Similarly, former commander of the Osun State Amotekun Corps, Brig. Gen. Bashir Adewinbi (retd.), said recent arrests of security operatives collaborating with gunmen confirmed that saboteurs are undermining the country’s internal security efforts.

He said, “In any organisation, there are moles. You can’t rule out the possibility. I read that a Deputy Commissioner of Police was recently arrested along with some bandits when their enclaves were stormed.

See also  Court sentences Nnamdi Kanu to life imprisonment

“That shows we need to do more in separating the wheat from the chaff in all the security agencies, not only in the military.”

Adewinbi described the trend as dangerous, recalling the 1980s case of armed robber Lawrence Anini, whose operations were aided by a senior police officer.

He added, “In the days of Anini, DSP Yamu was arrested and he confessed that he was the one backing the criminal. Let’s call a spade a spade. It was confirmed, and the man was eventually executed. How are we sure that many like him are still not in the service till today?”

Adewinbi said such internal sabotage was weakening Nigeria’s anti-terror fight.

“We need to face reality and do the needful to make sure we don’t deceive ourselves in this country. People should be held responsible and accountable,” he said.

The former general also faulted the government for failing to enforce laws meant to reform the security system.

He argued that even though there are laws in the country, not all of them are efficiently enforced in a way that can deter criminality.

During the plenary on Wednesday, members of the House of Representatives had faulted the Federal Government for negotiating with bandits to secure the release of 24 students abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

The lawmakers, under the coalition “House to the Rescue,” said the government’s engagement with kidnappers, disclosed by President Bola Tinubu’s aide, Mr Bayo Onanuga, amounted to a betrayal of Nigerians and undermined national security.

Backing the Federal Government’s non-kinetic strategy, Adewinbi said ransom-driven negotiations have turned kidnapping into a lucrative criminal business.

See also  FATF removes Nigeria from global financial watchlist

“These things would have stopped in Nigeria, but people see it as a way of making money. It is now a business,” he said.

While acknowledging the emotional pressure on families of abducted victims, he insisted that prevention remains the only sustainable solution.

“The only thing is to prevent kidnapping. Once a kidnap occurs, we have no choice but to dance to their tune,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Army elevates 105 to Maj Gen, Brig Gen

Published

on

A total of 105 senior officers of the Nigerian Army have been elevated to the ranks of Major General and Brigadier General, following the approval of the Army Council.

Of the figure, 28 Brigadier Generals were promoted to Major General, while 77 Colonels were elevated to Brigadier General.

Those promoted to Major General, according to a statement on Friday by the service’s spokesperson, Lt. Col. Appolonia Anele, include Brig Gen O. Adegbe of the Defence Intelligence Agency; Brig Gen S.M. Uba, Director of Defence Information; Brig Gen R.E. Hedima, Acting Chief of Military Intelligence (Army); and Brig Gen R.T. Utsaha, Deputy Director of Defence Operations.

Others are Brig Gen A.M. Umar, Commandant of the Warrant Officer Academy; Brig Gen S. Sulaiman, Deputy Military Secretary (Army); Brig Gen I.O. Bassey, Director of the Nigerian Army Operations Centre; and Brig Gen C.A. Ekeator of the Nigerian Army School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

Also promoted are Brig Gen S.Y. Yakasai, Acting Director of Procurement in the Office of the Chief of Army Staff; Brig Gen W.L. Nzidee of the Army Headquarters Department of Logistics; Brig Gen S.A. Emmanuel of the Nigerian Army Signals; Brig Gen S.S. Tilawan, Acting Commander, Sector 3 Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai; Brig Gen M.O. Agi, Desk Officer, Tertiary Education Trust Fund at the Nigerian Defence Academy; and Brig Gen I.M. Abbas, Commander, 34 Brigade. Brig Gen Z.A. Saidu was promoted posthumously.

Those promoted from Colonel to Brigadier General include Col Y. Ibrahim of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Abuja; Col N.N. Gambo of the Army Headquarters Department of Civil-Military Affairs; and Col A. Saidu of the Nigerian Army Finance Corps.

See also  Cleric warns against foreign manipulation, says insecurity not religious war

Others are Col A. Ali of Army Headquarters Garrison; Col I. Waziri of the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff; Col M.M. Sani of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji; Col A.A. Alkali of the Nigerian Army Dog Centre; Col A.O. Ndah of the Army Headquarters Department of Training; Col I.B. Sheriff of Headquarters 9 Brigade; Col K.R. Apata of the Army Headquarters Provost Group; Col M.K. Akpuogwu of Operation Whirl Stroke; and Col P.U. Nnaji of the Nigerian Army Operations Monitoring Support Team.

Additional officers promoted include Col M.T. Nagudu of the Nigerian Army Armour School; Col K.O. Bukoye, Commander, 401 Special Forces Brigade; Col O. Adole of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps; Col J.A. Ikagba of the 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col D.C. Ibeh of the 8 Division Medical Services and Hospital; Col G.S. Chohwore of the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col O.G. Okoye of the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; and Col Y.K. Audu of the Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai.

Anele said the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, congratulated the newly promoted officers and urged them to sustain professionalism and demonstrate effective leadership.

He directed them to inspire their subordinates through personal conduct and pursue innovative approaches to emerging security challenges.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending