Connect with us

Crime

EFCC warns lawyers against aiding money laundering

Published

on

Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede, has warned Nigerian lawyers against aiding money laundering and other financial crimes, describing such conduct as unethical and detrimental to the country’s fight against corruption.

Speaking at the Canada-Nigeria Legal exchange  at the International Bar Association conference  held at the Intercontinental Toronto Centre on Monday, Olukoyede said the EFCC had prosecuted several senior lawyers found complicit in laundering illicit funds for corrupt officials.

He said, “Equally disturbing is the disposition of some in our ranks who have become complicit in money laundering by schooling corrupt Nigerian officials to launder ill-got wealth abroad.

“The Commission has had cause to prosecute very senior lawyers for being accessory to money laundering.”

“We cannot, in one breath, bemoan corruption in our nation and, in another, make our skills available to the corrupt to pillage our common patrimony. Is there no ethics or conscience in practice?” he queried.

The EFCC chairman urged members of the Nigerian diaspora, particularly lawyers in Canada, to play an active role in helping Nigeria overcome its corruption challenge by remaining vigilant and reporting suspicious transactions.

He said, “The diaspora community, especially members of the bar, have crucial roles to play in helping Nigeria overcome the corruption challenge.

“For those of you in Canada, I recommend vigilance. The increasing number of Nigerians migrating to this country points ominously to Canada emerging as another axis for the laundering of ill-got wealth from Nigeria. You will help us prevent this by providing information to law enforcement agencies,” he added.

See also  Police Burst Sex Trafficking Syndicate, Rescue 15 Victims In Ondo

Olukoyede emphasised that corruption thrives not only through public officials but also through the complicity of professionals who facilitate the movement or concealment of illicit funds.

He said the EFCC would continue to uphold integrity within the legal and financial systems while deepening collaboration with international partners to trace and recover stolen assets.

Olukoyede also disclosed that the anti-graft agency secured 7,503 convictions and recovered N566.3 bn, $411.6 m, and 1,502 properties in the last two years.

Speaking as the special guest of honour, he highlighted the EFCC’s sweeping institutional reforms, renewed emphasis on transparency, and collaborative strides with international law enforcement bodies.

Olukoyede said his tenure as EFCC chairman had been anchored on using the anti-corruption fight to stimulate economic development, enhancing Nigeria’s global reputation, and entrenching accountability across government institutions.

“In all modesty, I came into the job fully conscious of what needs to be done to change the narratives as far as the fight against corruption in our nation is concerned,” he said.

“I consider the anti-corruption fight not as a vocation but as a tool to drive economic growth.”

He revealed that the EFCC has introduced key institutional reforms, including new policies on gift handling, exhibit room security, and sting operations, as well as a restructured bail process to prevent its misuse.

He added that the agency also established several new departments and units, such as the Department of Ethics and Integrity, Fraud Risk Assessment and Control, Digital Transformation and Innovation Unit, International Asset Tracing and Recovery Unit, and a Visa and Migration Fraud Section.

“I also declared my assets upon assuming office and directed all EFCC staff to do the same, and erring officers have been disciplined or dismissed to preserve the agency’s integrity,” he said.

See also  Panic as cult clash claims life in Lagos

Olukoyede announced that some of the recovered funds, N100bn, have been channelled into national social investment programmes such as the Students Loan Scheme and the Consumer Credit Scheme.

“Agencies like the NDDC, AMCON, FIRS, and the National Health Insurance Authority have also benefited from EFCC’s recovered funds,” he stated.

The EFCC boss cited landmark property recoveries, including 753 duplexes in Lokogoma, Abuja, and Nok University in Kaduna State, which have since been converted to the Federal University of Applied Sciences, Kachia.

On the economic front, Olukoyede said the Commission’s Task Force on Naira Abuse and Dollarisation has supported the Central Bank’s efforts to stabilise the naira by curbing currency racketeering and speculative trading.

He also revealed that EFCC’s cybercrime operations led to the arrest of 792 members of a major foreign-controlled syndicate involved in cryptocurrency and romance scams, with 192 foreign nationals prosecuted and deported.

To redirect youth innovation away from internet fraud, he announced that there has been the creation of a Cybercrime Research Centre within the new EFCC Academy in Abuja, alongside a 24/7 Cybercrime Rapid Response Centre for real-time enforcement.

Olukoyede highlighted the EFCC’s growing international profile, marked by visits from former FBI Director Christopher Wray and UK NCA Director-General Graeme Biggar, and by new partnerships with the Korean Police, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Spanish Police, and German Police.

He said the Commission had returned assets to fraud victims in Spain, Canada, and the United States, further cementing its credibility abroad.

At the regional level, Olukoyede noted that Nigeria, through the EFCC, now leads the Network of National Anti-Corruption Institutions in West Africa, where he was recently re-elected chairman for another two-year term.

See also  Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology resigns amidst certificate forgery allegations

He also credited the EFCC’s Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering for playing a “critical role” in getting Nigeria removed from the FATF Grey List.

In his closing remarks, the EFCC boss urged the diaspora community to safeguard Nigeria’s image abroad, noting that the country’s reputation must not be tarnished by the actions of a few dishonest individuals.

“Ultimately, we must work together to ensure that the good reputation which our country currently enjoys in your host country is not tarnished by the actions of a thieving few,” he said.

“Only we can build a nation that the rest of the world will respect. No one else will do that for us.”

Despite the challenges confronting the anti-corruption fight, Olukoyede expressed optimism about Nigeria’s future, reaffirming his belief that the nation will achieve greatness.

“Despite the challenge, I still see Nigeria achieving greatness,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

EFCC to grill Malami as probe may open Buhari-era asset recovery deals to fresh scrutiny

Published

on

Former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), says he has been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), a move that could reopen long-standing questions around asset recoveries, seized-asset disposals and contract approvals handled during the Buhari administration.

Malami revealed this in a statement he personally signed and shared on Facebook, reaffirming his readiness to honour the invitation. He maintained that his public service record has always been shaped by accountability and transparency.

“This is to confirm that I have been invited by the EFCC. As a law-abiding and patriotic citizen, I hereby reaffirm my commitment to honour the invitation,” Malami wrote.

He stressed that the ideals of openness and responsible governance have guided his conduct over the years. “I understand the spirit of accountability and transparency in public service, the principles that I both advocate and champion,” the ex-Justice Minister stated.

Malami explained that he had already informed his family and friends of the development, noting that the EFCC had asked him to clarify certain issues, and he was prepared to do so.

“I am informing my family and friends that EFCC has invited me to clarify on some issues, and as a citizen of law and order and patriot, I am willing to honor this invitation without any hesitation,” he declared.

He also emphasised that honesty and integrity had always shaped his approach to leadership during his years in government.

“I believe in the importance of honesty, integrity and honesty in leadership, these are principles I’ve long supported and uphold, over the years I’ve spent in public service,” he said.

See also  Police arrest six in FCT ‘one chance’ crackdown

Malami added that he would keep Nigerians informed as events unfold, saying transparency remains important in matters of public interest.

“On this note, I am informing Nigerians of any development that will follow, so that everyone will be aware,” he added.

As of the time of filing this report, Malami had not yet arrived at the EFCC headquarters. Officials of the Commission say they only intend to obtain “certain information” from him.

However, Saturday Vanguard learnt that the invitation may be linked to several controversial decisions taken during his tenure. These include high-profile asset recoveries, the sale or disposal of seized vessels and oil, and contract approvals that had earlier drawn public scrutiny.

According to sources, some of these actions raised concerns about the transparency and management of recovered national assets.

The EFCC has yet to release details on the full scope of its inquiry.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

37 Katsina kidnap victims regain freedom after negotiations with bandits -Lawmaker

Published

on

Bandits have released 37 villagers abducted from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State after weeks of negotiations that led to a peace agreement, a lawmaker, Abdulraham Kandarawa, has said.

Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the state House of Assembly, said on Friday that the latest release brought the number of freed villagers to 82.

He had earlier disclosed that 45 captives were freed under the same peace arrangement.

Speaking to journalists in Katsina, Kandarawa said the villagers, held in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, were released without ransom following sustained negotiations with the bandits.

“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.

The released hostages include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.

Kandarawa emphasised that the bandits had promised to release the captives if the community maintained peace, a commitment they fulfilled.

“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” Kandarawa appealed, highlighting the negotiation’s foundation on promises of non-violence.

The lawmaker thanked the bandits for adhering to their word, stressing that no ransom was paid.

“This is what they promised, and they fulfilled it today,” he said.

However, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda has earlier denied negotiations with bandits while on several fora said it was purely a community initiative while he applauded the initiative as well celebrated the return of peace to the state through the truce.

Continue Reading

Crime

50 Nigerians arrested in India drug busts

Published

on

No fewer than 50 Nigerians have been arrested in one of India’s largest coordinated crackdowns on a transnational narcotics network. They are believed to be linked to a sprawling drug-distribution and hawala laundering syndicate spread across several major cities in India.

According to a report on Thursday by NDTV, an Indian news agency, the operation was led by the Delhi Police in collaboration with the Telangana Police’s EAGLE unit.

It was reported that months of intelligence gathering culminated in days of simultaneous raids across Delhi, leading officers to dismantle key layers of a cartel moving methamphetamine and cocaine across India.

According to the report, investigations revealed that the cartel maintained an extensive customer base using encrypted communication and delivery methods modelled after food-delivery apps to execute drug “dead drops” and avoid face-to-face exchanges.

“The network was extremely sophisticated. They used layered communication channels and app-based delivery patterns to evade law-enforcement detection,” the report stated.

Officials also disclosed that the syndicate’s distribution chain was intertwined with a sex-trade ring, which provided both cover and logistics for drug circulation.

The report reads, “Investigators have identified approximately 2,000 individuals who were supplied drugs through courier and dead-drop methods.”

“Furthermore, the authorities uncovered that the sex trade was used as a cover for drug supply and distribution, extending the criminal reach of the cartel.”

The report further stated, “The operation, which involved months of intelligence gathering, culminated with the arrest of 50 Nigerian nationals in Delhi. This massive effort was executed in close collaboration with the Telangana Police’s Elite Action Group for Drug Law Enforcement, along with police teams from Noida, Vizag, and Gwalior.”

See also  Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology resigns amidst certificate forgery allegations

On the financial side, authorities said the cartel routed its proceeds through hawala operators. The illicit profits were converted into goods, including garments and human hair, which were exported to Lagos, Nigeria, disguising the drug earnings as legitimate trade.

“The proceeds from drug sales were funnelled through local hawala operators who converted the Indian Rupees into goods such as garments and human hair, shipped to Lagos, Nigeria, effectively cleaning the illicit earnings.”

“One identified kingpin is suspected to have laundered at least ₹15 crore through these hawala channels alone,” the report added.

The report, however, noted that the recent arrest of the 50 Nigerian nationals marked a pivotal moment in multi-agency efforts to root out these persistent drug cartels.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported multiple arrests of Nigerians in India over synthetic-drug trafficking, including seizures in Bengaluru, Delhi and Goa, where foreign nationals were linked to methamphetamine circuits.

The latest coordinated crackdown, which resulted in the arrest of 50 suspects of Nigerian nationality, is now regarded by Indian police as a major step toward disrupting what they described as an “entrenched and continually evolving” narcotics supply chain.

Police officials said the next phase of the investigation will focus on tightening immigration checks, tracking hawala facilitators, and identifying remaining cartel commanders believed to be operating from outside India.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending