Connect with us

News

Christian genocide: PFN, Islamic council in verbal crossfire

Published

on

The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, on Sunday, dismissed the allegation of Christian genocide in Nigeria, describing it as false, dangerous, and politically motivated.

Speaking at a press conference in Abuja, the NSCIA’s Secretary-General, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede,  accused the Western media and political figures of trumpeting the allegation of Christian genocide as part of an alleged coordinated campaign to destabilise Nigeria.

But the President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, Bishop Wale Oke, insisted that, “There is Christian genocide in Nigeria.”

“There is no other name to call it. No Christian group is attacking Muslims. Patience of the church is being stretched,” Oke said during a visit to the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, at the weekend.

The debate comes in the wake of Nigeria’s designation as a “Country of Particular Concern” by the United States President Donald Trump.

In a series of posts on X between October 31 and November 1, Trump had condemned continued killings in Nigeria, declaring America’s readiness to send its military to Nigeria if the Federal Government failed to stop the killings by jihadist groups.

But addressing the press in Abuja on Sunday, the NSCIA maintained that the violence in parts of the country was driven by criminality, poverty, and climate-induced migration, not religious persecution.

“We affirm that in Nigeria, there is no Christian terrorism. There is no Muslim terrorism. There is no religious intolerance in Nigeria.

The Nigerian tragedy is that of poverty, climate change, bad governance over time, and armed criminals who kill indiscriminately while a section of the world seeks to exploit the situation for geopolitical profits,” Oloyede said.

The NSCIA Secretary accused some Nigerian separatist groups, foreign lobbyists, and U.S. politicians of exploiting Nigeria’s insecurity for personal or political gain.

“These groups push fabricated statistics and doctored videos to influence Western governments, particularly the United States, to take punitive actions against Nigeria,” he said.

See also  Fire guts store at Abuja mall

He further alleged that the renewed U.S. designation of Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” was “a political tool, not a reflection of facts on the ground.”

The NSCIA called on both the Nigerian government and the international community to reject the “false and destabilising narrative,” urging President Trump to “assist Nigeria with intelligence and logistics support rather than smear campaigns.”

However, the PFN President, Oke, during his visit to the Olubadan, insisted that, “There is Christian genocide in Nigeria. There is no other name to call it. No Christian group is attacking Muslims. Patience of the church is being stretched.”

He explained that the killings were being perpetrated by extremist groups such as Boko Haram, ISWAP, and splinter cells that invoke Islam during attacks, stressing that they do not represent the wider Muslim community.

Listing the killing of Deborah Samuel, the abduction of Leah Sharibu and the Chibok girls, and attacks in Benue, Taraba, Southern Kaduna, Owo in Ondo State, Niger, and Plateau, he lamented that hundreds of Christians and pastors had been massacred.

Oke expressed appreciation to Trump for raising concerns about the plight of Christians but urged him to avoid military intervention and instead support the Nigerian government.

“Tinubu should ask for the cooperation of Trump, instead of opposing him. The President should root out radical groups like Boko Haram and ISWAP. Work together so that Nigerians can live in peace.

“The government should stand up and not play politics with it. Tinubu and the Federal Government need to cooperate with Trump to deal with this cancer,” he stressed.

According to a statement by Olubadan’s media aide, Adeola Oloko, during the meeting, Oba Ladoja also lamented decades of killings and destruction, saying the Christian community deserved to be placated.

Ladoja said, “Many people have been killed and property worth an inestimable amount of money destroyed. Multitudes of families, particularly women and children, have been displaced. Kidnappings have taken place.

See also  EFCC denies targeting Obasanjo, arraigns suspects - Sting Operation

“Successive administrations have spent trillions to fight insecurity. When you look at this scenario over the past 10 years, people are bound to feel aggrieved and resort to self-help.

“Former President Jonathan has tried. Former President Muhammadu Buhari has tried. President Bola Tinubu is trying. But I want to caution that terrorists don’t know the difference between Muslims and Christians.

“They see everybody as prey, while they are the predator. This is why, as the President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, a constituent of CAN, we are appealing to you to please help us placate our Christian brethren who are understandably aggrieved that these times will pass.”

The monarch said in the South-West, where he is more familiar with community dynamics, people of different religious persuasions coexist harmoniously, wondering why such unity remains elusive in other parts of the country.

However, an All Progressives Congress chieftain in Osun State, Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, said on Sunday that Nigeria must not accept the deployment of foreign troops to combat terrorism.

In a statement in Osogbo,  Oyintiloye warned political and religious leaders against exploiting Trump’s threat as a tool to attack President Tinubu.

Rather than politicising the matter, he urged stakeholders to rally behind the President to win the war against terrorism and violent crime.

“At this critical period, Nigerians, irrespective of political or religious affiliations, should come together to support the President and join efforts to overcome the lingering security challenges facing the country. This is not a time to play opposition politics,” he said.

He continued, “We must all come to the realisation that all our hopes, aspirations and dreams to get public office rest squarely on the continued existence of Nigeria.

See also  Tinubu posts three ambassador-designates to France, US, UK

“Our current set of leaders will be there for a period and move on. But Nigerians must not walk into a trap that will make the country cease to exist. With the cooperation of all stakeholders, we have the capacity to end terrorism.

“Getting foreign support in terms of equipment will be good, but not the deployment of soldiers. It may complicate the situation and lead to greater problems. At this point, political, religious and community leaders must unite. What Tinubu needs at this time is the support of all Nigerians.”

He added that Trump’s threat should concern every Nigerian, stressing that killings did not begin with the Tinubu administration but had built up over many years.

He noted that no particular religion had been exclusively targeted, arguing that Muslims, Christians, and adherents of other faiths had all suffered the effects of terrorism.

While acknowledging U.S. concern over Nigeria’s security challenges, he called for intelligence sharing and the supply of military equipment to support Nigeria’s counter-terrorism efforts.

He cautioned opposition figures to be mindful of their remarks, saying the consequences would affect the entire country. He also urged newly appointed service chiefs to justify the confidence reposed in them and work hard to defeat terrorists.

The debate over whether Nigeria should allow foreign troops to intervene has dominated public discourse, with opinions divided.

The Tinubu administration has responded by consulting stakeholders to prevent open confrontation with the U.S.

On November 7, The PUNCH reported that Tinubu said his government was engaging diplomatically on the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  2027 Presidency: PDP unveils zoning panel, dispels Jonathan, Obi talks

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  EFCC denies targeting Obasanjo, arraigns suspects - Sting Operation

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  EFCC denies targeting Obasanjo, arraigns suspects - Sting Operation
Continue Reading

Trending