Connect with us

News

Sachet Alcohol Ban: CSOs back NAFDAC, dismiss 500,000 job loss fear

Published

on

The Network for Health Equity and Development and Corporate Accountability and Public Participation Africa have thrown their weight behind the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control over its decision to ban the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in sachets, PET bottles, and glass bottles of 200ml and below, effective December 2025.

In a joint statement on Sunday, the organisations described the ban as a long-overdue public health intervention essential for protecting children, youths, and other vulnerable groups.

According to NAFDAC, the measure aims to curb the growing misuse of cheap alcoholic drinks among youths and drivers, which has been linked to domestic violence, road accidents, school dropouts, and other social vices.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria had warned that the ban could result in losses of up to five million jobs and negatively impact investment.

But NHED and CAPPA dismissed these claims as exaggerated and designed to prioritise profit over public health.

“We reject in its entirety the claims by MAN that the ban will trigger a loss of over N1.9tn in investment and lead to the retrenchment of over 500,000 workers. These figures are inflated, unverifiable, and a familiar scare tactic used by alcohol and tobacco corporations globally whenever governments regulate harmful products,” the statement said.

The organisations noted that sachet alcohol production is largely mechanised, requiring limited human labour, and condemned manufacturers for continuing production despite a multi-year phase-out period ending in December 2025.

They accused industry actors of using economic misinformation to undermine evidence-based public health policies.

NHED’s Technical Director, Dr Jerome Mafeni, emphasised the urgency of protecting lives over profits.

See also  Three killed in fresh US strike on suspected drug boat

“The long-term social and economic costs of alcohol-related harm—violence, reduced productivity, rising healthcare costs, and addiction—far outweigh any short-term gains manufacturers seek to protect. It is unacceptable that children can purchase high-concentration alcoholic products for as little as N100,” he said.

CAPPA Executive Director, Akinbode Oluwafemi, said NAFDAC’s action aligns with global best practices.

“No responsible public health agency would permit continued marketing of products designed to encourage unrestricted, on-the-go, and underage drinking. We commend NAFDAC for resisting corporate bullying and urge other government agencies to support seamless implementation of the ban,” he said.

Both organisations urged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the National Assembly, and other authorities not to yield to corporate pressure or delay the life-saving policy.

They also called for additional alcohol control measures, including taxation, stricter marketing regulations, clear labelling, and nationwide awareness campaigns.

“NAFDAC’s ban is the right policy at the right time. NHED and CAPPA stand resolutely with the agency and with all Nigerians committed to a healthier, safer, and more responsible society,” the statement added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  CNN anchor Christiane Amanpour, 67, reveals the ovarian cancer she was battling has returned

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Three killed in fresh US strike on suspected drug boat

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Use your influence to promote unity and not division - President Tinubu tells Content creators
Continue Reading

Trending