Connect with us

News

Heavy security at Sokoto prison over Nnamdi Kanu’s arrival

Published

on

Security has been tightened at the Sokoto Custodial Centre following the transfer of the convicted leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, to the facility.

Kanu was on Thursday sentenced to life imprisonment by the Federal High Court in Abuja after being convicted on terrorism and related charges.

In his ruling, Justice James Omotosho ordered that Kanu be taken to a “protective prison,” noting that the Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja was unsuitable due to past prison breaks and associated security risks.

On Friday, Kanu’s lawyer, Alloy Ejimakor, alleged that his client had been moved to Sokoto.

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH in Abuja, he said the transfer placed Kanu far from his legal team, family, and supporters, and urged Ndigbo to remain calm.

Although officials of the Sokoto Custodial Centre declined to confirm his arrival, Saturday PUNCH observed unusual security activity around the facility.

Armed personnel were stationed at strategic points within and outside the prison, while a truckload of soldiers drove into the premises—an uncommon development, according to nearby residents.

One resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “We saw soldiers entering in trucks this evening. The security here has never been this tight.”

The spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service, Jane Osuji, confirmed that Kanu was in their custody but declined to disclose his exact location, citing the sensitive nature of the matter.

Wife, Sowore confirm transfer

Kanu’s wife, Uchechi Okwu-Kanu, confirmed on her X handle that her husband had arrived at the Sokoto prison.

See also  Bisi Akande reveals what can end insecurity

“Information reaching me about three hours ago is that my husband has arrived at Sokoto prison,” she wrote, while criticising some supporters for sharing the development online before informing her.

Activist and publisher, Omoyele Sowore, also posted that the government had “secretly” moved Kanu to Sokoto.

He alleged that the relocation exposed him to danger.

Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, appealed for calm, describing the development as unexpected.

She urged Nigerians, particularly those from the South-East, to avoid actions that could inflame tensions.

“This is not the outcome we anticipated nor prayed for, but a reality now upon us… There is an utmost need for restraint,” she wrote.

The minister added that resolving the matter would require broad-based engagement involving political, religious, and traditional leaders from the region.

Ohanaeze, MASSOB reject life sentence

Igbo socio-cultural and advocacy groups, including Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the Igbo National Council, and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra, have rejected the life sentence handed to Kanu, describing it as selective justice.

Ohanaeze, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Ezechi Chukwu, said the judgment was “a blow to justice” and warned it could further destabilise the South-East. The group’s President-General, John Azuta-Mbata, called on President Bola Tinubu to intervene and pursue a political solution.

Ohanaeze argued that Kanu’s continued detention had become a catalyst for insecurity and youth radicalisation in the region.

Similarly, the President of the Igbo National Council, Chilos Godsent, claimed the judgment was part of an “ethno-political war” against the Igbo and urged President Tinubu to grant Kanu a presidential pardon.

See also  FG opens applications for 2026 overseas scholarship

Also, the National Publicity Secretary of the Ohanaeze Youth Wing, Chika Adiele, described the sentence as an assault on justice, accusing the government of selective persecution.

The leader of MASSOB, Uchenna Madu, also rejected the judgment, calling it politically motivated.

Kanu was first arrested in 2015 on charges including treasonable felony. After fleeing Nigeria, he was re-arrested in Kenya and returned to the country in 2021.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Terrorists dare Trump, kill scores

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  NSA Hands Over 128 Rescued Kidnap Victims To Zamfara Govt

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Terrorists dare Trump, kill scores
Continue Reading

Trending