Connect with us

News

Police ban fireworks in Imo, Plateau in the festive season

Published

on

The Imo and Plateau State Police Commands have announced a total ban on the sale, distribution and use of fireworks and knockouts as the Christmas and New Year celebrations approach.

Both commands said the measure is aimed at preventing injuries, fires and disturbances during the festive period.

In a statement posted on X, signed by the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Okoye Henry, on Sunday, the Imo State Police Command said it has “reiterated the total ban on the sale, distribution, and use of fireworks, knockouts, and all forms of pyrotechnics across the state.”

It added that the ban is crucial for public safety and that violators will be arrested and prosecuted.

The command warned that “anyone found selling, possessing, or using pyrotechnics, whether during public holidays, community events, or private celebrations, will be arrested and prosecuted.

“Regular patrols and targeted operations will be intensified to ensure full compliance with this directive.”

The Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Aboki Danjuma, urged residents to cooperate with security operatives and report illegal activities involving fireworks, appreciating “the continuous support of the public in maintaining peace and safety.”

The command also assured all that enhanced security measures have been put in place for a “safe and peaceful Yuletide.”

Similarly, the Plateau State Police Command on Saturday announced a statewide ban on the sale and use of knockouts and fireworks.

In a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Alfred Alabo, the command said the decision was taken “in the interest of public safety and security” ahead of the festive celebrations.

See also  Fubara fires commissioners, Assembly awaits new list

The command noted that fireworks often create panic and disturb public peace.

“The use of knockouts and fireworks has been known to create unnecessary panic, thereby disturbing public peace,” it said.

It warned that “anyone found violating this order by selling, using, or in possession of knockout articles and fireworks will be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law.”

The state Commissioner of Police, Emmanuel Adesina, urged parents, guardians and religious leaders to warn their children and congregations against violating the directive, adding that their cooperation would help ensure “a peaceful and safe environment for all before, during and after the festive season.”

Both commands reaffirmed their commitment to maintaining peace, safety and security throughout the Yuletide.

PUNCH Online reported that during the 2024 Christmas and New Year festive season, several state police commands — including Kwara, Ogun, Rivers, the FCT and Delta — imposed bans on the sale, use and display of fireworks and knockouts.

The measures were introduced to curb crime and maintain safety during the yuletide.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria's Consul-General in Cameroon, Ambassador Taofik Obasanjo Coker is de@d

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Insurgency: FG, Saudi Arabia sign five-year military pact

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  SERAP sues Akpabio, Abbas over N’Assembly complex funds
Continue Reading

Trending