Connect with us

News

El-Rufai sparks controversy after airport ‘arrest’ drama

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, has described the attempt by security operatives to arrest him at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, as executive overreach and a deliberate disregard for the rule of law.

The former governor arrived at the airport to a waiting crowd of supporters who had gathered to welcome him.

In an interview with BBC Hausa on Wednesday, he stated that security agencies might arrest him soon, noting that four of his former aides had already been detained.

On Wednesday evening, he hinted in a post on X (formerly Twitter) that he would be returning to Nigeria soon.

However, a tense atmosphere prevailed at the Abuja airport on Thursday following a reported attempt by security operatives to detain El-Rufai upon his arrival from Cairo.

An aide of the former governor, Muyiwa Adekeye, reported on his X page that armed personnel approached El-Rufai shortly after he landed, attempting to escort him away.

He added that some individuals present intervened, insisting that the former governor would not comply without proper documentation. “The officers walked straight up to him and told him to follow them. But some people around insisted that he would not accompany them like that,” Adekeye said.

El-Rufai was said to have requested to see an official invitation, which could not be provided. “Mallam Nasir had asked them to show him any form of invitation before he joined them at their office, but they couldn’t provide any,” Adekeye added.

Supporters had thronged the airport to welcome the former governor and chieftain of the African Democratic Congress and were seen in a video pushing him and his wife into a Sport Utility Vehicle to exit the airport.

Condemning the development in a post on his X account, El-Rufai accused the authorities of exceeding their powers and flouting the rule of law.

See also  Governors demand greater powers for state police

He stated, “My lawyers have issued a statement that condemns the illegal attempt to arrest me today at the Abuja airport upon my arrival from Cairo.

“Our country must outgrow executive overreach.”

El-Rufai defected from the All Progressives Congress to the African Democratic Congress after serving eight years as governor.

His counsel also accused security operatives of attempting to unlawfully arrest his client on Thursday.

In a statement by Ubong Akpan of the Chambers of Ubong Akpan, the lawyer said operatives moved against El-Rufai shortly after he landed aboard Egypt Air flight MS 877 from Cairo.

Akpan said, “We unequivocally condemn the attempted illegal arrest of our client by security operatives this afternoon upon his arrival in Abuja. This is a flagrant violation of constitutional rights, executive overreach, and a deliberate disregard for the rule of law.”

The lawyer stated that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had previously issued an invitation to El-Rufai while he was abroad, calling the action unreasonable and impractical.

“The invitation from the EFCC was delivered to Malam El-Rufai’s residence while he was already abroad, rendering it inherently illogical to demand immediate attendance.

“We formally communicated with the EFCC since December 2025, assuring compliance upon his return,” he said.

He added that the commission had been notified that El-Rufai would appear voluntarily.

“Yesterday, we explicitly informed them that he would appear at their office by 10:00 am on Monday, February 16, 2026. Resorting to arrest despite this clear commitment exemplifies arbitrary conduct and undermines procedural integrity,” he stated.

Akpan claimed that Department of State Services operatives tried to detain El-Rufai without showing a warrant or an official invitation.

“Upon his arrival, security operatives moved to arrest Malam El-Rufai without presenting any warrant or letter. When he demanded to see the invitation, none could be produced — no document, no signed directive, no lawful process,” the lawyer said.

See also  Wike’s aide proposes mandatory NIN, ID for social media accounts

He also alleged that the security operatives confiscated El-Rufai’s passport, noting that passengers and other airport users stepped in during the incident.

“In the same unlawful manner, operatives physically snatched his international passport. This act is nothing short of stealing, the unlawful taking of private property by agents of the state acting without colour of authority.

“Ordinary Nigerians present at the airport, incensed by this display, surrounded the scene and insisted loudly that he could only be arrested upon a legitimate process.

“That citizens had to remind security operatives of the constitution is both shameful and instructive,” he added.

Akpan contended that the attempted arrest breached multiple constitutional rights, including the rights to personal freedom, a fair trial, human dignity, freedom of movement, and ownership of property.

“There exists no justifiable basis for this attempted arrest or the accompanying mistreatment,” he said, adding that El-Rufai returned to Nigeria despite alleged intelligence of plans to intercept him.

“This premeditated interception at the airport exemplifies lawlessness and an abuse of state power,” the statement read.

The lawyer called for a prompt cessation of any attempts to arrest El-Rufai and for his passport to be returned without delay.

“We demand the immediate and unconditional cessation of all unlawful efforts to detain Malam El-Rufai, the immediate return of his stolen passport, and a formal apology for this egregious infringement on his dignity and rights,” Akpan said.

The lawyer also stressed that El-Rufai will honour, without preconditions, all legitimate law-enforcement summons.

“Let it be publicly clear: Malam Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai will never take the cowardly route of running away from law enforcement. He will honour, without preconditions, all legitimate law-enforcement summons,” he stated.

See also  Sweden raises income requirement for citizenship applicants

Security sources disclosed that operatives of the DSS were responsible for the drama at the airport, not officials of the EFCC.

A security source, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said that although El-Rufai had earlier been invited by the EFCC, the anti-graft agency was not involved in the airport encounter.

“Yes, he was invited by the EFCC, but it was not the anti-graft agency that approached him at the airport. There was an agreement that he would report to the EFCC on Monday, so they had no reason to look for him at the airport,” the source said.

According to the source, the operatives involved were from the DSS, adding that their action did not amount to an arrest.

“Those men are from the DSS. I don’t think they were out to arrest him. If that was the case, nothing would have prevented them from taking him away,” it added.

The source further noted that the DSS had already obtained what it required from him during the encounter.

“What they wanted from him, they already have,” the source added.

Neither the DSS nor the EFCC had officially commented on the incident as of the time of filing this report.

Efforts to also get their reactions failed as of the time of filing this report.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Gaming bill: Lagos sues N’Assembly for contempt

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Governors demand greater powers for state police
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Dangote, Trump named in TIME 100 Most Influential People, read details

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending