Connect with us

Lifestyle

I’m the highest-ranked Christian in govt – Akpabio boasts

Published

on

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, boasted on Saturday that he is the most ranked Christian in government.

He attributed his political rise to “the special grace of God,” urging Nigerians to remain steadfast in serving God regardless of their position in life.

Akpabio spoke during the blessing and official opening of the Regina Coeli Parish Rectory in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, an event attended by top clerics and political leaders. His remarks were contained in a statement issued in Abuja by his Special Assistant on Media, Jackson Udom.

The Senate President said his journey from obscurity to the nation’s number three position was a testament to God’s favour.

“As the most ranked Christian in government, God has specially and graciously transformed and prepared me for the task ahead. I belong to all denominations, but I am lucky and happy to be a Catholic. Most people are in the church without knowing the power of the church.

“If God can raise me from a nobody to be the President of the Senate and by extension, the number three citizen of this great country, He can do it for us all, just position and prepare yourself for His blessings,” he said.

Akpabio urged Nigerians to remain committed to service in the house of God, noting that even the smallest contribution to church projects carries divine reward.

“Anytime you contribute as little as 10 kobo to the construction of a church building project and it is completed and put to use, know that God has accepted your contributions.

See also  PHOTOS: Professor Peller - The Enchanting Story of Nigeria's Most Famous Magician and how he got Assassinated in 1997

“I am always excited to be part of the development of the church because nothing is too big for our God,” he added.

The senate president also disclosed plans to unveil a new worship centre within the National Assembly complex in Abuja.

“In the next few weeks, I will happily invite Nigerians from all walks of life to join us in commissioning a befitting place of worship for our God,” he announced.

At the Uyo ceremony, the Catholic Bishop of Uyo, Most Rev John Ayah, commended the Senate President and his wife, Dr Unoma Akpabio, for their support to the church, including hosting Catholic bishops nationwide in Ikot Ekpene last September.

He also urged Akpabio to ignore detractors.

“You are important and that is why they talk about you. It is expected because of your position in today’s Nigeria,” the Bishop said.

Akpabio’s testimony comes amid renewed attention on Senate unity following claims of attempted leadership plots.

Two weeks ago, Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, dismissed reports of moves to impeach the Akpabio, describing them as “unfounded” and capable of creating unnecessary tension.

Bamidele’s rebuttal followed comments by former Senate Chief Whip, Orji Uzor Kalu, who disclosed that there had been past but unsuccessful efforts by some lawmakers to unseat Akpabio.

He said such attempts failed after key senators intervened to maintain stability in the upper chamber.

However, during plenary, Bamidele insisted there was no plan—past or present—to remove the Senate President, urging senators to prioritise legislative cohesion over political scheming.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Rest every four hours, FRSC issues safety guide for fasting motorists

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps, on Friday, urged motorists who are participating in the fasting periods, to ensure that they take rest at intervals, to avoid road crashes.

The FRSC Commander in-charge of the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway corridor, Mr Nasir Mohammed, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ota.

He noted that the advice had become expedient following the commencement of fasting periods by both Christian and Muslim faithfuls.

NAN reports that Catholic faithfuls had commenced lenten season with the distribution of Ash on Wednesday, which period is marked by 40 days fasting.

In the same vein, Muslim faithfuls had also began observation of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, which period is also marked by fasting.

Mohammed urged motorists to be cautious of fatigue and possible dehydration during the fasting periods, and ensure that they take hours of rest before returning to the steering.

He also warned motorists against over speeding and wrongful overtaking, which could lead to tragedy, adding that drivers must strictly adhere to all safety rules while on the road.

“We are appealing to motorists, especially Muslims and Christians who are fasting, to always observe the rest after every four hours of driving, to prevent avoidable loss of lives.

“Also, all motorists are enjoined to drive to stay alive; Wishing all safer roads and fuller life.” he said.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  ALI MUST GO! Nigeria Students Protest, 1978 (PHOTOS)
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Alleged rape: Nigerian Tiktoker admitted in Ogun health facility

Published

on

Ogun State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Adijat Adeleye has disclosed that the Nigerian Tiktoker, simply identified as Mirable, has been admitted to a State-owned health facility, and is currently receiving comprehensive medical attention.

Adeleye added that an investigation had begun and the survivor is presently receiving psychosocial support, and is responding positively to medical treatment.

The commissioner stated this on Thursday night shortly after visiting the survivor at the health facility, in the company of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, and the Medical Director of the facility.

According to her, the visit was aimed at assessing the survivor’s condition and ensuring that appropriate medical and welfare interventions were promptly administered.

The Commissioner praised the personnel at the State-owned medical facility and the State Ministry of Justice for their quick response, as well as the Nigeria Police Force and Ogun State Police Command for their rapid and timely action as soon as the case was transferred to the State.

“This structured approach is intended to protect the survivor’s welfare while guaranteeing that investigations are conducted professionally, thoroughly, and strictly on the basis of verifiable evidence”, Adeleye said.

She added that detailed examinations and all required clinical procedures are being carried out in line with established standards for managing cases of alleged sexual assault, while the security agency is carrying out their investigation simultaneously.

“The welfare, dignity, and safety of every survivor remains our utmost priority. The Prince Dapo Abiodun led- administration maintains a zero-tolerance stance on sexual and gender-based violence, stressing that “while we stand firmly with survivors, we are equally guided by due process.

See also  Alaafin to install Seyi Tinubu as ‘Okanlomo of Yorubaland’ Saturday

“Investigations must be evidence-based, transparent, and fair to all parties involved, even as whosoever is found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” she said.

She urged residents to steer clear of speculative narratives or sensational commentary that could compromise due process while assuring them that the State Government would get to the bottom of the issue to ascertain the veracity of the claim.

Meanwhile, she assured members of the public that further updates would be communicated at the appropriate time as credible findings emerge from ongoing investigations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Rape allegation not true – Mirabel finally opens up

Published

on

Nigerian TikToker, known simply as Mirabel has finally opened up on the allegation of rape she earlier raised in a viral video.

It was recalls that the content creator, with the username @mirab351 had, alleged that she was sexually assaulted by an unknown man at her residence in Ogun State.

She claimed that the alleged rapist inflicted an injury on her privates with a blade.

Her story generated reactions across social media, causing the Nigeria Police to swing into action.

Some netizens, however, expressed scepticism on the factuality of the allegation, stating that the stories were not adding up.

But the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, said on Thursday that the command was investigating the matter.

However, Mirabel, who opened up to Popular social media activist, Martins Otse, widely known as VeryDarkMan, VDM said she had been into drugs and could be hallucinating.

 

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ladoja’s coronation as 44th Olubadan kicks off September 26
Continue Reading

Trending