Connect with us

News

Returning displaced Nigerians at risk of landmine explosions – United N

Published

on

The United Nations has expressed concern that displaced communities in Nigeria — with camps closing and nowhere else to go — risk returning to areas where lethal explosive remnants may be hidden from view.

Speaking on the sidelines of a key international meeting in support of landmine action taking place at the UN in Geneva on Wednesday, experts explained how shrinking resources in Afghanistan and Nigeria had exposed civilians to unexploded ordnance.

They stressed that mine action programmes, often viewed as long-term recovery initiatives, are in fact emergency humanitarian interventions that save lives.

Chief of the Mine Action Programme, Mr Edwin Faigmane, representing UNMAS in Nigeria, said in a statement that returnees in the country were at great risk of landmine deaths.

Faigmane said that 80 per cent of all civilian casualties had occurred in 11 of the 15 areas of return.

In response, UNMAS has trained Nigerian security forces, police and civil defence workers on risk education in unstable and “hard-to-reach” areas.

The tactic has paid off, Faigmane said, “as we have begun receiving reports back from the police or from community members saying that they found an item and that they’ve reported it to the village authorities or village leaders, who then reported on to the security and the military forces”.

Similarly, the meeting discussed the danger explosive remnants pose to children in Afghanistan.

According to the UN-partnered Landmine Monitor report, a staggering 77 per cent of all casualties in Afghanistan in 2024 were children.

Some 54 people are killed there every month by explosive remnants of war, giving the country the third-highest explosive ordnance casualty rate in the world.

See also  FG backs DHQ as coup rumour sparks political firestorm

“It tends to be kids, mostly boys in the hills tending sheep and goats, and they are picking up things of interest and playing with them or throwing stones at them and killing or injuring themselves,” Nick Pond, who heads mine action work at the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, said.

Despite the urgent need for more deminers to make Afghanistan safe after decades of conflict, a lack of funding has meant that the UN-led team has “dropped and dropped”, Pond told journalists.

“In 2011, there were 15,000 people working in demining, and now we’ve got about 1,300.”

Total recorded child casualties in Afghanistan since 1999 stand at 30,154 children, “so the work in Afghanistan is key to decreasing the [global] number of casualties,” Christelle Loupforest, UNMAS Representative in Geneva, said.

She noted that although mine-clearance work in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Sudan has recently received better support, the situation in Afghanistan and Nigeria remains dire, with programmes facing imminent suspension without new donor commitments.

“It’s the same for our programme in Ethiopia,” she said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  N432bn probe: EFCC extends El-Rufai detention as lawyer pushes for bail

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu departs Nigeria for state visit to Türkiye

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  N432bn probe: EFCC extends El-Rufai detention as lawyer pushes for bail
Continue Reading

Trending