Connect with us

News

FG activates evacuation plan as Middle East crisis worsens

Published

on

The Federal Government on Monday said it is working out administrative procedures and the release of funds for  the evacuation of Nigerians affected by the ongoing crisis in parts of the Middle-East East.

The decision comes amid escalating tensions in the region, triggered by missile and drone attacks linked to Iran, which have raised security concerns across several Gulf nations.

This follows coordinated military strikes by the United States and Israel against Iran on February 28.

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told our correspondent that arrangements for evacuation were ongoing.

“The government is working out the necessary administrative details and the release of funds to commence evacuation,” he said.

The update follows earlier concerns over the safety of Nigerians stranded in countries including Iran, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Qatar, among others, after regional hostilities disrupted flights and travel plans.

Last week, the ministry told The PUNCH that its immediate priority was Nigerians in the most vulnerable areas, particularly those in Iran and Israel, where the security situation has made evacuation more complicated.

The ministry had explained that the evacuation process from Iran involves significant logistical challenges, including transporting stranded students from various universities to the Armenian border and meeting entry conditions set by Armenian authorities.

It further noted that the government was exploring different evacuation options, including the possibility of deploying Nigerian Air Force aircraft, although the volatile security situation in the region had made it difficult to secure flights.

The ministry also added that most of the Nigerians stranded  in Qatar were transit passengers whose flights were disrupted, but who were being taken care of by their airlines.

Giving updates to The PUNCH, Ebienfa stated, “Qatar Airways has started operating flights to Nigeria. There was a flight to Lagos today (Monday) from Doha.

“So, in a few days, the category of Nigerian stranded due to transit flights that were affected by the crisis will all be in Nigeria. This is in addition to flights to Cairo, Egypt and Nairobi, Kenya that included some Nigerians.”

On Saturday, the Ministry of Defence of the UAE confirmed that its air defence systems intercepted multiple ballistic missiles and drones launched from Iran.

See also  2027 Presidency: Makinde, others to fight for PDP ticket

The ministry disclosed that its air defence systems engaged nine ballistic missiles and 33 unmanned aerial vehicles on March 14, describing the incidents as part of a broader wave of attacks since the beginning of what it termed Iranian aggression.

Authorities also confirmed that casualties from the attacks included residents and foreign workers from several countries, with six people reportedly killed and more than 140 others sustaining injuries of varying degrees.

The UAE Ministry of Defence had earlier stated that its forces remained on high alert and ready to respond to any threats to the country’s security.

Since the beginning of the hostilities, the ministry said its air defence systems had intercepted 294 ballistic missiles, 15 cruise missiles and about 1,600 drones launched from Iran.

Officials said the casualties recorded involved individuals from multiple countries, including Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Azerbaijan, Yemen, Uganda, Eritrea, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Comoros, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Oman, Jordan, Palestine, Ghana, Indonesia and Sweden.

Ebienfa further informed The PUNCH that the Nigerian who was injured “has been treated and discharged.”

Iran backs FG

Meanwhile, the Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to Nigeria, Gholamreza Raja, has said the Iranian government is willing to cooperate with Nigerian authorities to facilitate the safe departure of Nigerian nationals who may wish to leave the country.

Raja, in an exclusive chat with The PUNCH on Monday, stressed that Iran remained committed to ensuring the safety and welfare of foreign nationals, including Nigerians, currently residing in the country.

According to him, the Embassy of Nigeria in Tehran has already taken necessary steps to assist all foreign citizens and has continued to maintain communication with members of the Nigerian community.

“Naturally, the Nigerian Embassy in Tehran has taken the necessary measures to assist and support its nationals, and it remains in contact with members of the Nigerian community to provide guidance where needed,” the ambassador said.

He added that the Iranian government is ready to cooperate with relevant authorities to make travel arrangements easier for Nigerians who may choose to leave the country.

“At the same time, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran is ready to cooperate in facilitating the departure of Nigerian nationals if they wish to leave the country,” Raja stated.

The envoy explained that Iran’s land borders with neighbouring countries remained open and are currently being used by foreign nationals for travel.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Fire razes part of Ogun free trade zone, Igbesa

“Currently, Iran’s land borders with neighbouring countries are open, and normal movement through these routes is ongoing. Many foreign nationals are already using these land routes for travel or departure.

“Reports indicate that the routes are safe and can be used without difficulty. Nigerian citizens can therefore make use of these routes if they choose to do so,” Raja said.

Speaking on the number of Nigerians living in Iran, the ambassador said available estimates suggest that several hundred Nigerian nationals reside in the country, with many of them studying in Iranian institutions.

“According to available estimates, several hundred Nigerian nationals live in Iran. A significant number of them are students, some of whom are studying at Iranian universities or educational institutions under scholarship programmes,” the envoy said.

The ambassador explained that the exact number of Nigerians in Iran is difficult to determine because not all citizens formally registered with the Nigerian embassy.

He added that some Nigerians in Iran are involved in small-scale commercial activities.

“In addition, a number of Nigerians are engaged in small-scale commercial and business activities.

“The exact number may vary, as not all nationals formally register with their embassy,” he said.

“Some Nigerian citizens travelled to Iran for short-term or long-term educational programmes, training courses, or religious pilgrimage, and later return to Nigeria. For this reason, the number of Nigerians present in Iran may fluctuate over time,” the ambassador explaned.

Emirates  suspends flights

Meanwhile, Emirates Airline has again announced the temporary suspension of all flights to and from Dubai, advising passengers not to go to the airport until further notice.

The airline issued the latest travel advisory on Monday, warning travellers to avoid going to Dubai International Airport as flight operations remained halted.

The suspension followed guidance from the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority earlier on Monday, which grounded all flights operating through Dubai International Airport amid heightened tensions in the Middle-East East.

See also  New tax regime: What’s true, what’s not

The Emirate airline initially suspended operations, but resumed after strikes from the Israel- Iran war reduced in the country. Dubai is one of the most hit in the ongoing war.

But in its latest update to passengers, Emirates said all flights arriving in and departing from Dubai remain suspended while authorities continue to assess the situation.

Emirates added that it was working closely with aviation authorities and relevant agencies to determine when it would be safe to resume operations.

The airline said, “Customers are reminded not to travel to the airport at this time and to continue checking this page for the latest updates. We thank our customers for their continued patience and understanding. The safety of our passengers and crew remains our highest priority.”

The disruption has created uncertainty for thousands of travellers who rely on Dubai as a major global transit hub, including many passengers flying between Nigeria and other international destinations.

The latest suspension comes in the wake of escalating tensions in the Middle East following United States and Israeli strikes on Iran, which the US President, Donald Trump, described as a “major combat operation.”

The conflict has forced several international airlines to reroute or suspend flights that typically cross the affected airspace, leading to widespread disruptions across the global aviation network.

Only recently, Emirates had resumed skeletal operations on its Dubai–Lagos–Dubai route on March 6, 2026, offering limited flights after earlier disruptions.

However, even before the latest suspension, many Nigerian passengers who had purchased tickets prior to the earlier halt in operations were already grappling with unresolved refund requests.

Travel agents say numerous refund applications submitted on behalf of affected passengers have yet to be processed, leaving travellers stranded between waiting for refunds or uncertain travel rescheduling.

The prolonged uncertainty has also begun to affect business activities linked to travel to Dubai, a major destination for conferences, trade events and tourism for many Nigerians.

Several conferences and business meetings scheduled to hold in Dubai have either been cancelled or relocated to other destinations, while travellers continue to approach Emirates seeking refunds for unused tickets.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100m over charges bordering on alleged breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while ruling on the bail application, imposed stringent conditions for the former governor’s release.

The court held that the surety must reside in either the Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property with the court registry.

The judge further ruled that the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and must provide evidence of salary payments for at least three months, authenticated by a bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.

Justice Abdulmalik also directed the surety to depose to an affidavit of means, enter into a bail bond and submit a recent passport photograph to the court registry.

As part of the conditions, El-Rufai was ordered to deposit all valid international passports with the court.

The court also directed the submission of a verification letter from the surety’s department, along with a tax clearance certificate covering the last six months.

In addition, the judge ordered the former governor to report to the Department of State Services headquarters on the last Friday of each month by 10 am to sign the attendance register, pending the determination of the case.

The court warned that any breach of the conditions would result in the bail being automatically revoked.

Justice Abdulmalik further ordered El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna Traditional Council.

See also  Akpabio steps in to unveil Lagos projects on Tinubu’s behalf

The bail ruling followed the arraignment of the former governor by the Department of State Services on an amended five-count charge bordering on alleged breach of national security.

The DSS had, on April 23, arraigned El-Rufai before the same court, where he pleaded not guilty to all counts.

At the proceedings, counsel for the DSS, Oluwole Aladedoye (SAN), informed the court that the prosecution had filed a further amended five-count charge on April 13 and sought to substitute the earlier three-count charge.

Count four of the amended charges marked marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, reads “That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, intentionally and without authorization, intercepted the communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, as admitted by you on 13″ February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment Act, 2024.”

Counsel to the defendant, Oluwole Iyamu (SAN), confirmed receipt of the amended charge and did not oppose the application.

The court subsequently struck out the earlier three-count charge and read the amended counts to El-Rufai, who again pleaded not guilty.

The defence had drawn the court’s attention to a pending bail application filed on February 17, noting that a further affidavit initially missing from the court file was later located during proceedings.

The DSS, however, told the court that it was not opposing the bail request.

The defence also filed an application seeking to quash the amended charge, which the prosecution urged the court to dismiss for lacking merit.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Fire razes part of Ogun free trade zone, Igbesa

After hearing arguments from both parties, Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter for hearing before delivering the bail ruling on Monday.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation – DHQ

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said Nigerian troops, in collaboration with the United States Africa Command, killed more than 20 Islamic State West Africa Province fighters during fresh coordinated air strikes in the North-East.

The DHQ said the operation was carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports on the convergence and movement of terrorist elements within the region.

In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, the military said the strikes formed part of sustained operations aimed at dismantling terrorist networks and denying insurgents safe haven in the country.

“The Defence Headquarters, in close coordination with United States Africa Command, wish to update the general public on the continuation of coordinated operations against ISIS militants across the North East Nigeria, with additional air strike operations successfully executed in the general area of Metele.

“Following observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, multiple air strikes were conducted resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters,” the statement partly read.

The military said the ongoing operations were designed to disrupt terrorist activities, remove fighters from the battlefield and prevent insurgents from regrouping.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation,” the statement added.

Uba stressed that terrorists threatening citizens and national stability would be located and defeated, saying that there would be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria.

“Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” he said.

See also  Court orders speedy trial for alleged coup plot, tribunal resumes May

This is coming after the announcements by United States President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu confirming the killing of ISIS kingpin, Al-Minuki during a joint counterterrorism operation conducted by Nigerian and US forces.

Trump described the slain militant as the most active terrorist in the world and claimed he was the second in command of ISIS globally,” adding that the terrorist leader believed he could evade capture in Africa.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Bus knocks pedestrian dead in Ogun

Published

on

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus at Imowo, along the Imowo-Ibadan Road inward Ijebu Ode in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro gathered on Monday from the spokesperson for the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency, Babatunde Akinbiyi, that the fatal accident occurred at about 4:45 pm on Sunday and caused serious traffic congestion along the route due to the obstruction caused by the bus.

He noted that TRACE operatives and police officers from the Obalende Division were immediately deployed to the scene to manage traffic and rescue operations.

According to him, the accident happened when the pedestrian allegedly failed to check the other side of the road before attempting to cross.

The agency noted that there was a diversion to a single lane outward Ijebu Ode due to ongoing road rehabilitation works along the axis.

The statement read, “According to eyewitness account, the pedestrian forgot to check the other side of the road before crossing the road. There is diversion to one lane due to ongoing road rehabilitation on the axis.”

Akinbiyi added that no other injuries were recorded in the incident aside from the death of the male pedestrian.

He further disclosed that its operatives controlled vehicular movement around the scene to ease traffic congestion and prevent secondary accidents.

“TRACE operatives assisted in carrying the presumed dead into the OGSAS ambulance, while the body was subsequently conveyed to the General Hospital mortuary, Ijebu Ode,” the statement added.

The TRACE Head of Media stressed further that the accidented Toyota Coaster bus was later evacuated from the road and moved to the Police Area Command, Igbeba, for further investigation.

See also  Seven killed, 13 injured in Kano–Katsina road crash

The agency confirmed that normal vehicular movement had been restored after the evacuation exercise.

PUNCH Metro reported earlier that an auto crash along the Third Mainland Bridge left a policeman riding on a motorcycle, dead after being hit by a Lexus car.

The driver of the car was said to have surrendered himself to the police following the incident.

Continue Reading

Trending