Connect with us

News

Nigeria will be lending to nations by 2026 – Remi Tinubu

Published

on

Nigeria First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, has predicted that a time would come when the country will lend money to other nations, saying great prosperity lies ahead.

Senator Tinubu spoke on Sunday in Ile-Ife, Osun State, shortly after she was conferred with the chieftaincy title of Yeye Asiwaju Gbogbo Ile Oodua, at a well attended event, commemorating the 10th coronation anniversary of Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi.

Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo was joined by the wife of the Vice President, Nana Shettima, ex-First Lady, Patience Jonathan, Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Ogun State Governor,  Dapo Abiodun, and a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, at the event.

Also at the event were the dignitaries that include ex-Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, the Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa, Deputy Governor of Osun State, Kola Adewusi, and former Osun First Lady, Kafayat Oyetola.

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, the Orangun of Ila, Oba Abdulwahab Oyedotun, and the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Ghandi Olaoye, were some of the traditional rulers present at the event.

Mrs Tinubu, who commended Ooni for the title bestowed on her, further said, “Today is a not a day of long speeches, I want to thank the people of Ile-Ife, I also thank the Ooni of Ile-Ife for bestowing such honour.

“Nigeria’s joy has come; those wondering how we want to do it, we will show them how things are being done. By 2026, Nigeria will be in prosperity; we will be lending to other nations.

See also  Nigeria exits global money-laundering watchlist

“It is important to say it here at the source of the Yoruba race today, that during the  administration of President Bola Tinubu, people will wonder how he has able to achieve such milestone,” she said in mixture of Yoruba and English language.

Speaking earlier, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Ogunwusi, said Oluremi Tinubu had supported him since he ascended the throne, noting the significance role that ex-President Obasanjo had also been playing to support the throne.

In his goodwill message, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, prayed for long reign for Ooni, asking for prayers for leaders in the country for them to lead the people in right direction.

Governor Adeleke, while addressing the gathering, said Oba Ogunwusi had brought a touch of class to royalty and rebranded the tradition, making Yoruba, a proud nation all over the world.

“Our royal father demonstrated what it means to have an empowered royal father. With strong economic footing and limitless capacity for local and global networking, his majesty changes the narration of traditional rulership. In the last one decade, his imperial majesty has pushed ahead with the branding of Ile-Ife as the cultural capital of the Yoruba people.”

Adeleke said the state government would an ally in the Ooni “as we implement that same vision of an upgraded cultural capital of Yoruba people.”

“In line with that vision, our government embarked on an infrastructure upgrade of Ile-Ife with 14 roads completed so far and several others ongoing. We are about to complete the first ever flyover in this cradle of Yoruba nation,” Adeleke said.

See also  PDP dead, buried, controlled by APC – Dino Melaye

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Nigeria won’t accept Trump’s deportee deal like Rwanda, S’Sudan – FG

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Bulk fuel buyers dump middlemen for direct Dangote supply
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  CPC blacklist: 12 Nigerian governors, other officials may face US sanctions

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Protest Breaks Out In Lagos Over Renaming Of Streets, Bus Stops

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending