Connect with us

News

Remi Tinubu sparks debate after asking Adeleke to stop singing at Ooni’s event

Published

on

Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, has come under fire after she intervened while Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, broke into a song during his speech at the 10th coronation anniversary of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi.

In a video that went viral on Monday, Adeleke was seen stepping up to the podium on Sunday to honour the monarch and congratulate the First Lady on her new chieftaincy title, Yeye Asiwaju Gbogbo Ile Oodua.

Instead of delivering his address immediately, the governor, well-known for his lively and musical public style, launched into a brief chant, prompting amusement from sections of the crowd.

The First Lady, who had moments earlier received her traditional title from the Ooni, walked towards the podium, gestured lightly to the governor and whispered to him to proceed with his statement.

This has, however, since drawn mixed reactions from Nigerians online.

Reacting, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on the Bureau of Social Services, Akintunde Bello, said Mrs Tinubu should be cautioned.

Also, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, Dele Momodu, in a post on his Instagram handle on Monday, condemned the First Lady’s action, describing it as bullying.

Momodu said the president’s wife openly disgraced and embarrassed Adeleke before a global audience.

He said, “Remi Tinubu is not an elected officer of the government and has no role assigned to her in the constitution of the Federal Republic.

“It is totally repugnant to openly disgrace, insult and bully the Chief Executive of Osun State before a global audience, including his wife. She went too far.”

See also  Nigeria @65: The worst is over, hope rising for Nigeria – Tinubu

An X user, Hon. Rilwan, tweeting as #rilwan_ola01 wrote, “Remi Tinubu came to Osun to undermine the power of legitimate government in front of various dignitaries. I am really angry right now.”

However, despite the backlashes, some netizens believe that Tinubu’s action is justified.

Dayo Fashola, an aide to the ex-Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, on her verified Facebook handle, said the conversation between the duo was lighthearted.

Fashola had explained that what transpired between Oluremi Tinubu and Adeleke was “light‑hearted and isn’t as serious as people are making it seem.”

She wrote, “Even Her Excellency craved the indulgence of all her distinguished guests to skip protocol while delivering her own speech, as many needed to return to their respective destinations in good time. Keeping in mind that helicopter visibility at night is near zero.”

A Facebook user, Oyetunji Ayoade, while defending Tinubu’s action, wrote, “The highest respect the first lady can give to Osun people is to stand up and inform him by herself and she did.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria @65: The worst is over, hope rising for Nigeria – Tinubu

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  NiMet predicts three-day sunshine, cloudiness from Monday

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nnamdi Kanu appeals conviction, faults terrorism trial
Continue Reading

Trending