Connect with us

News

Kwara varsity begs gov for overhead bridge due to multiple accidents

Published

on

The Kwara State University has appealed to the state governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, to construct an overhead bridge along the Shao/Malete Road to reduce accident rates on the busy route to the institution.

The university Vice Chancellor, Prof. Jimoh Shaykh-Lukman, made the plea on Tuesday during the institution’s pre-convocation press conference in the Malete area of the state.

While commending AbdulRazaq for heeding the call to promptly repair the Malete road to ease movement, he said the Federal Government’s intervention on the expressway has not mitigated the dangers.

He said, “Some commercial and even articulated vehicles drive against the traffic in a bid to cut down on the distance to drive to make the turn.

“This constitutes a major hazard for all users of that road. We urge our visitor, Gov. AbdulRazaq, to use his good office to facilitate a flyover bridge fAor safe crossing of the express road.”

He also requested extensions to the existing intra-campus road network for ease of access to facilities.

“Road infrastructure is beyond the ability of the university, and this is why we call on our proprietor, Gov. AbdulRazaq, to intervene in this area,” Shaykh-Lukman said.

Speaking on the forthcoming 13th Convocation Ceremony, the vice chancellor said 8,119 degrees will be awarded on Dec. 13.

He said 7,618 earned a first degree while 501 bagged postgraduate degrees.

The VC added, “There are 82 1st Class honours, 1,986 2nd Class Uppers, 4,195 2nd Class Lowers, and 1,355 3rd Class graduands.

“At the postgraduate level, there are 75 PhDs and 426 Master’s graduands.”

See also  Bianca Ojukwu meets Ghanaian officials over ‘Nigerians must go’ protest

He highlighted the academic progress recorded in the institution over the past year, with the Osi and Ilesha-Baruba campuses now operational.

“Both staff and students of the faculties in the two campuses have been integrated in these communities with lectures and research activities ongoing for the 2025/2026 session.

“This has facilitated the spread of the institution to other parts of the state with the expected socio-economic benefits to the communities hosting them.

“With 81 undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the three campuses now, we have maintained our success rate in the accreditation status of programmes,” the VC concluded.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Tompolo distances self from call for Kanu’s release

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  You Are Behaving As If There Is No Authority To Call You To Order – Alaafin Blasts Ooni Of Ife, Gives 48-Hour Ultimatum

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Shariah council cautions against Nigeria’s involvement in Middle East crisis
Continue Reading

Trending