Connect with us

News

US conducts surveillance flights over Nigeria on killings

Published

on

The United States has been carrying out intelligence-gathering surveillance flights over large areas of Nigeria since late November, according to flight tracking data and current and former US officials, Reuters reported exclusively on Monday.

The report noted that the surveillance flights signalled closer security cooperation between both two countries heightened diplomatic tensions.

According to Reuters, the purpose of the flights could not be independently determined. However, they follow threats made in November by US President Donald Trump to intervene militarily in Nigeria over what he described as the government’s failure to halt violence against Christian communities.

The foreign media added that the operations also come months after a US pilot working for a missionary organisation was kidnapped in neighbouring Niger.

Flight tracking data for December showed that the contractor-operated aircraft typically “departs from Ghana, flies over Nigeria and then returns to Accra,” Reuters reported.

The aircraft is operated by “Mississippi-based Tenax Aerospace”, a company that provides special mission aircraft and works closely with the US military, according to its website. Tenax Aerospace did not respond to requests for comment, it stated.

The Africa team lead for the Critical Threats Project at the American Enterprise Institute, Liam Karr, said his analysis of the flight data indicated the operation was being run out of Accra, a known logistics hub for the US military in Africa.

“In recent weeks we’ve seen a resumption of intelligence and surveillance flights in Nigeria,” Karr said in an interview as reported by Reuters.

Karr said the flights appeared to signal that Washington was rebuilding intelligence capacity in the region after Niger ordered US troops to leave a major air base last year and instead sought security assistance from Russia.

See also  Aregbesola group tackles FG over Osun LG allocations

Reuters added that a former US official said the aircraft was among several assets the Trump administration moved to Ghana in November.

While it was unclear how many aircraft remained there, the former official said the missions included efforts to locate the kidnapped US pilot and to collect intelligence on militant groups operating in Nigeria, including Boko Haram and its splinter faction, Islamic State West Africa Province.

The report further explained that a current US official confirmed that the aircraft has been flying over Nigeria but declined to provide further details, citing diplomatic sensitivities.

Another administration official said Washington was continuing to work with Nigeria to “address religious violence, anti-Christian attacks, and the destabilising spread of terrorism.” All officials spoke on condition of anonymity.

In a statement, the Pentagon said the US government had held productive meetings with Nigerian officials following Trump’s message to the country but declined to discuss intelligence activities. Nigeria’s military spokesperson and Ghana’s deputy defence minister did not respond to requests for comment, Reuters added.

The Federal Government has said armed groups target both Muslims and Christians, arguing that US claims of Christian persecution oversimplify a complex security situation and overlook government efforts to protect religious freedom. Nigeria has nevertheless agreed to work with Washington to strengthen its response to militant threats.

The report further revealed that a security source in Nigeria said the US agreed during a Nov. 20 meeting between the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, and US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to deploy air assets for intelligence gathering. The source spoke on condition of anonymity.

See also  Aiyedatiwa resolves Ondo Assembly crisis, presents N492.8bn budget

Flight tracking data show that the Tenax Aerospace aircraft was seen at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida on Nov. 7 before flying to Ghana on Nov. 24, shortly after the high-level security talks. The aircraft, identified as a Gulfstream V business jet often modified for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions, has flown over Nigeria almost daily since the operation began.

The US has taken punitive steps against Nigeria. In October, Trump added the country back to a US list of nations accused of violating religious freedom. Nigeria was also placed last week on a US travel ban list facing partial entry restrictions.

Trump has asked the Defence Department to prepare for possible “fast” military action if Nigeria fails to curb the killing of Christians. The two countries have since established a joint security task force, according to US Representative Riley Moore, who recently visited Nigeria.

28 feared kidnapped

Meanwhile, gunmen are believed to have abducted 28 travellers—including men, women, and children—in Zak community, Bashar district, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The incident reportedly occurred on Sunday night as the victims were traveling to Sabon Layi community to attend a Maulud event.

A youth leader in Wase, Sapi’i Sambo, confirmed the development in a telephone interview with journalists in Jos on Monday.

“Yes, this abduction really happened,” he said.

Another resident of Bashar town, Ibrahim Musa, corroborated the report, noting that the whereabouts of the victims remain unknown.

According to Sambo, the abducted travellers included two princes and a religious leader leading the journey.

“The incident happened around 8 p.m. as they were heading to Sabon Layi. The gunmen ambushed the vehicle on the outskirts of the community, taking all the travellers, including children, and abandoned the vehicle,” he said.

See also  VIDEO: Lagos begins probe as ambulance hits woman during Lagos marathon

Sambo explained that the following morning, locals discovered the abandoned vehicle, which belongs to the Zak community leader.

“Through our investigation, we confirmed that it was the vehicle carrying the abducted travellers,” he said.

He added that all efforts to locate the victims had so far been unsuccessful, and security forces had been informed.

Spokesperson for the Plateau State Police Command, SP Alabo Alfred, confirmed that the report is under investigation.

Residents of Wase have expressed alarm over the rising insecurity in the area, which has been plagued by kidnapping, banditry, and cattle rustling.

Last week, at least 12 miners were given a mass burial after being shot dead by gunmen who attacked a mining site in Ratoso Fan community, Barkin Ladi Local Government Area. The incidents have intensified calls for stronger security measures across Plateau State.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Soludo’s wife unveils Oluremi Tinubu’s empowerment programme in Anambra

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Health ministry orders immediate retirement of longstanding directors

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  VIDEO: Lagos begins probe as ambulance hits woman during Lagos marathon
Continue Reading

Trending