Connect with us

News

PHOTOS: Abiodun boosts grassroots governance with SUVs for LG Chairmen

Published

on

The Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, on Thursday presented Toyota Corolla Cross 2025 SUVs to the chairmen of the 20 local government areas in the state.

The presentation of the brand-new vehicles in Abeokuta on Thursday added to the festive mood of the Christmas season, as the chairmen expressed appreciation to the governor for the gesture.

Represented by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Ganiyu Hamzat, Governor Abiodun said the vehicles were provided to enhance effective governance at the grassroots.

The governor lauded the chairmen for being worthy partners in delivering the dividends of democracy at the grassroots and pledged that his administration would continue to support local governments to enhance socio-economic development in the state.

He urged the local government chairmen to remain dedicated to excellence in grassroots governance and committed to promoting equitable growth and development across their councils.

He said, “Our administration is aware of the challenges faced by our people at the grassroots and the obstacles confronting government in delivering essential services.

“These vehicles have therefore been provided to facilitate swift and efficient outreach to the grassroots, as required by the demands of governance.

“This gesture also underscores our determination to ensure that grassroots governance thrives in the state and that rural dwellers enjoy good governance without impediments.”

Speaking on behalf of the beneficiaries, the Ogun State Chairman of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria, Folashade Adeyemo, lauded Governor Abiodun for the provision of the vehicles, describing it as a boost to the Yuletide celebrations.

See also  FCT doctors begin indefinite strike

Adeyemo, who also serves as the Chairman of Odeda Local Government, commended the governor’s achievements across key sectors, including education, housing, healthcare and road infrastructure.

She said the governor’s ISEYA mantra had elevated the state’s development profile and assured that local government chairmen would continue to collaborate with the state government to make Ogun a model state.

She said: “This is no doubt a pleasant surprise that came during Christmas, making the celebration even more memorable. It further shows that our hardworking governor is a promise-keeper.

“The chairmen are very grateful for this support, and it is a call on all of us to do more for our people, even as we continue to support the good work Governor Abiodun has been doing for over six years.

“These vehicles will significantly enhance efficiency. As local governments are closest to rural communities, this mobility will aid in reaching remote areas, monitoring projects and engaging effectively with the people.”

Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Dr Rotimiolu Akinlesi, appreciated the governor for providing the utility vehicles, noting that the gesture would further strengthen grassroots governance.

Dr Akinlesi urged the chairmen to reciprocate the support of the state government by deepening their commitment to serving people at the grassroots.

Meanwhile, local government administration in Nigeria continues to face challenges over autonomy, particularly financial independence, despite a Supreme Court ruling in October last year directing state governments to grant local governments autonomy.

Although constitutionally recognised as the third tier of government, local governments largely remain dependent on, and often controlled by, state governments, a situation that has continued to hinder effective grassroots development and service delivery.

See also  Jigawa LG unveils monthly allowances for ex-council chairmen, others

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Fani-Kayode knocks US over report on Nigerian governors

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Blackout looms as gas shortfall hits power stations

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Atiku, Patience Jonathan, Osinbajo, David Mark, Others Storm The Wedding Of Rotimi Amaechi’s Son In Abuja
Continue Reading

Trending